Osprey Exos 58

small medium large
Weight 2 lb 7 oz / 1110 g 2 lb 8 oz / 1140 g 2 lb 10 oz / 1185 g
Capacity 3300 cu in / 55 L 3500 cu in / 58 L 3700 cu in / 61 L

Comfortable, full featured, lightweight pack under…

Price Paid: $220 (less 20% and $50 giftcard)

Summary

Comfortable, full featured, lightweight pack under 2.5 lbs. With an internal frame, this ultralight pack does not sacrifice comfort for weight. Great on the hips and shoulders and the suspension back panel.

Pros

• Lightweight (2 lb 6 oz)
  • Removable lid/converts to daypack
  • Breathable back panel
  • Double entry mesh side pockets
  • Quality construction

Cons

• No incl raincover
  • Limitation of bottom compression straps
  • Slightly more $$ than some other UL packs

Preface

I purchased this earlier in the spring, shortly after its release.  I have about 120 +/- hours with this pack and will post my review of my experience up to this point. I prefer to describe where I’m at in the life of the pack in trail hours as that seems more appropriate in terms of a piece of equipment which is worn. In essence this is early in the pack’s life, but I feel I have enough experience to give my two cents so far!

I am 5’9, 150 lbs., 32 in. waist and 18 7/8 in. torso.

Pack Experience/Comparisons

Other info to note about my review/background. I have only borrowed packs in the past, the most recent being REI’s Flash 62 pack. This pre-2014 model comes in at just 3 lbs. for the men’s medium. A relatively inexpensive pack for the features and weight, it served me well and I’d recommend it to any new backpacker who wants to jump in but not spend $200+ for a pack.

I have used the GoLite Jam 50 which I really enjoyed too. At 1 lb. 14 oz., it felt like it was the weight of the world off of my shoulders (so to speak…18 total ounces saved!). The weight savings, great cost and comfort really got me to look at my gear closer and make a decision on my first pack purchase.

The 2014 Osprey Exos 58 is where I split the difference, literally in almost every way except for price. I had a 20% off coupon and $50 giftcard, I did my research and figured I’d give it a whirl. A few quick specs to keep in mind:

• Advertised at 2 lb. 6 oz. (Don't have digital scale to compare)
  • Internal frame
  • Removable lid/new “FlapJacket” to properly cover top when lid is removed
  • Tensioned “Airspeed” backpanel to increase air flow
  • Reservoir compatible
  • Separate (non ice axe) rings for trekking poles

Construction & Durability

The pack material seems durable, definitely somewhere between the GoLite material and the Flash’s ripstop nylon. The mesh side pockets are always a place of concern if edges of a Platypus or trailside branches get caught. I have used my Nalgene bottles or older 70 oz. Camelback and these side pockets are no concern for me.

The most exterior compartment on the back is also mesh, the idea being that smaller items can just be wedged it after all has been packed such as trailside items or TP bag, etc.

The nylon material which makes up the rest of the pack is highly water resistant.  If it begins to lose a bit of its resistance, I plan on using some Nikwax TX.Direct, but I’m not all that concerned. Even on days when I do not expect rain, I just line my pack with a large trash bag. It makes it easy to take items in and out and also provides a better layer of waterproof capability between my pack exterior and belongings.

58 liter pack

With optional lid removed, embedded FlapJacket acting as new lid

Comfort

I’ve tried several packs on before, either out on the trail or in the store. The true test is over the course of several miles on whether the pack is comfortable, rides, well and fits as expected. Naturally, pack weight is also a factor in this. Osprey gives a median, max weight of 35 lbs. in their range of 30-40.  I have not had plans to go above 30 lbs as I thought I’d fill up the 58 liters before I got close to that amount.

Most of the trail I had it about 25 lbs. something I thought was reasonable and test the UL aspect out against this weight.

Didn't take a before pic of what I incl above, but was something like this, plus a few other small items.
Fill.jpg

For my size, the medium fits like a glove. The hip belt is extremely comfortable and there is no pressure on my lumbar from the aluminum frame. This was the primary issue I had personally with the Flash.

The foam shoulder straps also stand out a bit in that the foam material does not extend as long as typical shoulder straps.  Made of the same foam in the hip belt, it has not caused any chaffing or unnecessary pressure on my back, shoulders, chest, or armpits.

Hip belt pockets, pockets on each shoulder strap. Elastic, fits bars and cell phone well.
pockets.jpg

Something that must be mentioned when it comes to comfort is the trampoline suspension of the back panel.  It reminded me of my Mountainsmith day pack. This is a great feature and rates very high for me if I see it on a pack. Only the past two hikes or so while wearing the pack was it getting to be very hot and humid during the day, typically summer coming early after heavy rains.

Back-Side-View.jpg
The suspension is supposed to increase air flow over the back and not have a sweaty back and shirt right up against the pack.  While minimal, the trampoline does have slight “give” to it and also conforms well to my back.

Back-Gap.jpg

I don’t feel there are any negative structural integrity issues with this suspension. Keep in mind that this still has an internal frame so if, by some chance, the suspense were cut horizontally, your back would be right up against the inner plastic support.

The hip belt pockets do protrude slightly, even when not filled, but I didn’t see this impact me when I walked with a normal gait.

There is also an option to have the side compression straps to either go around the mesh side pockets or through (i.e. directly against the pack body).

Compression-Straps.jpg

Unique Features of the Design

Positive

One of the newer additions to the Exos was a removable lid. It attaches at three different points with a hook design. There should be no worry about the lid falling off when hiking or at rest.  When I’ve had the pack loaded and hardly carrying a thing, the attachments didn’t come loose on their own.

Lid-Removed.jpg

Three hooks like this are what keep the lid attached when in use.  Two on the side and one in the back.  The back hook is adjustable and the sides have three attachment loops to choose from depending on pack height.
Lid-Hook.jpg

Once removed there is a flap that can flip over and connect to the buckles which the original lid connected, in effect closing the opening and converting it into more of a daypack. A great addition if you keep toiletries or anything else you may just want to take with you after making camp. Just pack it in the lid and take it with you.

I also like the option to have access from the top as well as the side of each mesh side pocket.

Side-pocket.jpg

Negative/Neutral

While a small part of its design, there is a hoop on the shoulder strap and at the waist. It gives you the option to hook your trekking poles onto your pack. It can be removable…with a pair of scissors if I decide it’s not for me. See the video below:

Keep in mind that the compression straps at the bottom of the pack are not meant for anything other than lightweight gear. I recommend just a wide foam sleeping pad or something of the sort.  I put my Hubba Hubba through it (for curiosity’s sake) and the straps, length of straps (maybe something 6-7 inches in diameter once loaded), and weight distribution just doesn’t seem that good for options other than a pad. The hoops for the straps seem well made, but items heavier than a pound or two bouncing around…eh, won’t risk it.

Lastly, another small item, but the loop which is at the top of the pack is thinner than I would like, feels as though it should be wider and better secured. This is the loop that most packs are hooked to the wall in the stores. With it being an UL pack, it's understandable though that this doesn't need to be able to support 50 lbs., so I see that going for it.

Overview

While at first it may seem to be on the pricier side of the UL packs (some new designs around $200, GoLite around $130), keep in mind this has the best of several options with its internal frame, relative high capacity, and cool features. This is a great pack for either day hikes or 3-4 day treks.  I feel very comfortable and confident recommending this pack to others!

Jake W

Nice review!

Eric Labanauskas BRAND REP

Nice walk through of this pack, Daniel, and you're very well spoken in front of a camera. Good work!

Great review! I have an REI Flash 65--when I got done modifying it, it was down to 1lb. 13oz. As far as the trekking pole holder goes, a few times a day, you just need a quick, short-term place to stick your poles while you eat a snack or shoot a video while hiking. Normally, I just carrying both in one hand and used the other, but this is a nice little feature.

Daniel Oates

Thanks, Jake, Eric, and G00SE! Very true about when you'd use that feature with the poles. It's just an easy way to get it out of your hands without taking off your pack. I may be able to figure out something else to do with hip and shoulder loop in the future too, so I'm keeping it for it now.

Eric Labanauskas BRAND REP

Can those shoulder loops fit water bottles? That'd be my first alternate use. Or swap out the dynamic bungee cord for something more static and use them to hold onto and rest your arms (especially since you don't use poles).

Daniel Oates

Eric, the shoulder loop can definitely fit a water bottle. It actually uses a toggle to make the loop larger and smaller. Largest diameter being about 4 inches, smallest about the size of a quarter, so a few different options there. Thanks for the advice!

giftogab

I love that same type of feature on my Deuter packs -- the trampoline back board!

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Great review, Daniel! Your pictures are great. I am a big fan of Osprey packs. I've been very curious about this pack since they updated it, so thanks so much for the very helpful review! :)

Daniel Oates

giftogab, couldn't agree more. If my back is cool, my entire core is cool. Thanks, Ashleigh!

soleful2001

Nice review Daniel, I was a little concerned about the haul loop too, but after snatching it up and even hangining it full loaded, I am pretty sure it will hold.

300winmag

One more thing about the EXOS 58. The best feature is its great trampoline mesh back panel. This is brilliance. As Osprey says, regarding UL backpacks, the weight saved by eliminating a frame is not worth the discomfort. AMEN!

300winmag

I have to say that after using the EXOS 58 loaded with 32 lbs. it is much more comfortable than my current 2008 REI Cruise UL 60 pack. I WANT one!

Daniel Oates

Thanks 300winmag, I second that man!

Daniel Oates

I see the review was unhelpful to an individual. Feel free to provide any feedback that will help out my review. I'd be happy to provide any clarification!

300winmag

Daniel, your review and accompanying photos are virtually professional level.

Cheers, 300winmag!

giftogab

Weird. How can a review packed with all that be unhelpful?

Regan

Nice thorough review. Got my eye on the Exos 58.

Recently purchased the 2014 version of this model.

Summary

Recently purchased the 2014 version of this model. Initial impressions are very good. Form, fit, and feature set are just right for most trips. A full featured, well ventilated design at under 3 lbs is quite a feat!

• Sturdy harness
  • Versatile
  • Full featured

Cons

• sleeping pad strap too short

I recently purchased this pack. I had a ULA Circuit in my sights and almost purchased it until I saw this pack had just been released to market. I could not believe that a M size 58 L @ 2lb 10oz fully featured pack rated for 38 lbs could be possible. When I saw this pack, I had to have it.

Osprey Customer Service

I have used and basically worn out a 2004 Osprey Aether 60. My Aether 60 weighs 3 lbs 4 oz and I thought that was light! I am sending this pack back to Osprey where they have agreed to replace worn out straps, a draw string and buckles. They are doing this under warranty! Excellent service.

When I called Osprey and mentioned to them that the sleeping pad strap on the Exos is too short to wrap around a Zpad, or anything similar, they agreed to provide me a solution.

Function of Exos 58

My Exos 58 weighs 2 lbs 10 oz.  There are hip belt pockets on each side, and they are big enough to hold a camera, couple energy bars, gps, etc. The full featured hood pocket is fairly large, and it has an additional pocket underneath for wallet, keys, etc.

There are two pockets, one on each shoulder strap for small items such as goo, energy bar, etc. There are two large mesh, two-way pockets on each side of the bottom of the pack. Finally there is a large exterior stretch mesh panel on the outside/front of the pack.  This is handy for anything wet, overflow gear, etc.

On the interior there is a hydration sleeve next to the backpanel. The sleeve has a handy buckle at the top to secure the water bag. A 2L water bladder fits perfectly.  There are two ports, one on the left and one on the right for your hose. The straps and buckles are all constructed with weight saving in mind.  The side compressionstraps are about 3/8" wide, and run in a Z-pattern up the each side the full length of the pack. The sleeping pad strap is made of the same material and threads through loops to form two larger loops where your pad, tent, etc can be secured at the bottom.

The shoulder straps and hip belt are lightly but sufficiently padded, and are constructed of a breathable foam mesh.

The aluminum tube frame runs the perimeter of the pack.  The tubing is about 1/4" in diameter and is very sturdy. The frame also supports the trampoline mesh back panel allowing for superb ventilation and comfort.

I have loaded my pack up with 26 lbs, and found the fit and comfort to be excellent. The weight distribution to the hips is perfectly balanced. The pack bag sits well on the frame. The M size fits my 17 1/2" torso very well, even though the specs say the M range starts at 18" torso.

I have not had the opportunity to use the pack on the trail yet, and will provide updates throughout.

Initial impressions are very assuring that this pack is going to be very comfortable on the trail. The one thing I am most encouraged about is the ventilation in the back panel.

Update on the performance of the Osprey Exos 58

I took this pack on a recent overnight trip. I found the construction to be quite sturdy. The frame is stiff and supportive, yet comfortable. I intentionally loaded it up with 32 lbs. I feel that this is maximum comfort range.

Any more and the pack would struggle to control and support the load. The shoulder straps, hipbelt, and compression straps all worked well to stabilize the pack and distribute the load. I was impressed and surprised at how strong the front pocket strap is. I inadvertently picked it up fully loaded by the pocket strap and it easily supported the weight.

The feature that stood out the most while hiking is the mesh back panel. The fit was excellent, while airflow was practically unimpeded across my back keeping me quite dry and comfortable. I will especially love this feature on summer hikes.

Osprey-Exos-58-Back-Panel2.jpg

The hydration sleeve is very convenient and paired with the Osprey Hydraulics 2L bladder the fit is perfect. The ports for the hose are on left and right. I was able to thread a Sawyer mini water filter through the hole just barely, but it fit. Using the inline filter and the bladder together provides flexibility of a quick fill drinking system, and a gravity system while in camp.

Throughout the 12 mile hike, I felt comfortable and making my usual "micro" adjustments while hiking was easy and the buckles worked smoothly. The hipbelt pockets are perfectly placed and the zippers were super smooth to operate. The side stretch pockets are very easily accessible while hiking and can easily hold a 20 oz drink bottle, tent poles and just about anything else.

If I have a couple of issues, it would be with the top pocket. I believe that it is a bit large for the pack, and also I would like to see the top flap buckles a different color. This pack has a removable top pocket. This is a nice feature.  To accomodate the missing top pocket, you have a top flap permanently attached with identical buckles.  It is easy to confuse the flap buckles with the pocket buckles.

So far I have seen no potential weak points where premature wear can occur. So far, I am pleased with the fit and function overall of the Exos 58 pack.

UPDATE:  6/2/2014

Just finished a 40-mile hike in Uwharrie National Forest using this pack.  I can only say that the ventilated back panel kept me very comfortable the entire time. I could actually feel the air circulating between my back and pack.

I also enjoyed how the pack held adjustment requiring on a tweak or two along the way. The pack suspension supported a 30 lb load comfortably throughout.  I finished my hike with no sore contact points.

Overall this pack is a top performer.

osprey-Exos-58-in-Uwharrie.jpg

Daniel Oates

How has your experience been with the straps at the bottom of your pacl for a sleeping pad or maybe tent? Supportive? Tight enough? Awesome review, very thorough!

soleful2001

Thanks Daniel, I should probably explain more about the sleeping pad straps. Actually thier is just one strap there threaded though loops. This pack is designed for the newer ultralight self inflaters. It adequately held my old Guidelite self inflator, but there is simply not enough strap to hold a zrest or something like that. I also would like the pad strap to be wider. Note in the photo that I have my pad at the bottom. had it been smaller, I could have put it through the two loops in the front (like my old Aether 60) and kept the pad off the ground.

Lah

Thanks for your review. I just got the new Exos 48 but have yet to get it out in the field, will try to post some initial thoughts as you have done. It weighed in a little more than advertised but still close to my goal of a 2 lb pack. I love the ventilation, especially for here in Florida. I don't plan to use the pad straps on the bottom, so it's good that they are removable. I also like that Osprey made the top lid easy to remove with integrated clips, rather than having to thread the nylon through buckles. Enjoy your pack!

This is an awesome pack. Not only is it the most comfortable…

Summary

This is an awesome pack. Not only is it the most comfortable pack I've ever owned, it's also lightweight and durable. I've loaded it to 55+ pounds comfortably, even on long hauls. In addition to the roomy interior pocket, it has easy external access for water bottles, rain jackets, ice axes, and sunglasses.

Pros

The best feature of the Osprey Exos is the comfort. The shoulder straps have surprisingly thin foam with lots of ventilation, and the hip belt is similar. Both combine to comfortably hold the weight snugly against your body. The back is a net that provides more than an inch of ventilation (unless you use a water bladder, in which case it can block the ventilation).

The pack holds enough for 3-4 days in summer or a weekend in the winter. The pack has one large chamber for gear, and can be cinched down on top and on the sides to ensure a compact profile. The side compression straps are thin, yet strong, typical of the "just enough" approach used by Osprey.

The pack has a full suite of external pockets and straps to hold your en-route gear. Two ice axe straps with quick-release bungees make for quick release. There is a stretchy front pocket that holds your rain jacket, two net water bottle pockets on the sides, and two vertical pockets on the front. I haven't really found a great use for these pockets, as anything you put in them will compete for room in the main pocket.

There are net zipper pockets on both sides of the hip belt that are great for sunglasses or lip balm, as well as a pocket good for an iPod or phone on the shoulder strap.  There is also a generous pocket on the top of the pack, with a document envelope in the interior.

The pack has held up very well over two years of rugged use. Nothing has broken to date.

Lightweight, very comfortable, fantastic back system…

Price Paid: £158.95

Summary

Lightweight, very comfortable, fantastic back system and lots of pockets.

Pros

• lightweight
  • lots of pockets
  • very comfortable backsystem

Cons

• none yet

Well to start, the back system is very good. I mean the way it is curved lets good air flow stopping your back from getting sweaty. The waist pockets are really big, lots of room I found for important things you need at hand.

The walking pole quick storage is a thing of brilliance, you compress the poles and put in the loops freeing your hands to map read etc. and all so the open back pocket, which is separate from the main pockets, is a very good idea. You put your wet tent or wet  clothes. If you lift the top hood underneath is a good size zipped pocket (for first aid, toiletries etc!) there is a whistle on the chest strap. Also on the shoulder strap there is a small pocket, i think it might be for a compass or a small mobile phone etc.

The rucksack i used before was a Golite Jam 50 liter which was great, but i noticed i was prone to a sweaty back in the summer. With the ospre exos 58 with its mesh and curved back this does not happen. You can also see the poles tucked in to the carry straps, which i can't stress how great a feature this is!
image.jpg

I love this pack! So light, so comfortable, and, tough!

Summary

I love this pack! So light, so comfortable, and, tough!

• Comfort
  • Details

Cons

• I don't know any

Bought mine last year to backpack into Kauai's Kalalau Valley. It performed well, very well, for a four-day trip in tropical heat. Also used at home in Alaska for alpine trips and coastal rainforest trips. So many features, so light, so comfortable!

I just bought a second pack as my son's Christmas present since he keeps stealing mine. Both of us are ultralight backpackers due to physical constraints, and this pack keeps us going out there.

A great pack for weekend or day trips that require…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Raffle)

Summary

A great pack for weekend or day trips that require heavy loads or varied luggage.

Pros

• Long-lasting
  • Multi-purpose
  • Efficiently designed
  • Back-friendly

Cons

• No toaster included

I won this pack from a Timmy O'Neill slideshow raffle in Boulder, CO, and have used it for bouldering and stuck it in crashpads, been alpine sport climbing and hiked 8 miles with a rope on top without back problems, taken it traveling by plane for domestic trips, and fit a very large number of things in this back pack via the shape, efficient space, and wonderfully multi-purpose and accessible compartments.

The back support is absolutely wonderful -- no corners stick in my back, no imbalances, great for quick loading and unloading and hiking.

My pack has withstood snow and rain and wind and months and stretching. I love it.

Ben Cerise

I can do 5 days snowshoeing in this pack. Love it!

1 year ago

An overall great pack! Light, sturdy, feature rich,…

Summary

An overall great pack! Light, sturdy, feature rich, and comfortable. Keeps you cool in the summer and allows you to over stuff it in the winter. You will be looking for more days to take this sweet ride on the trail.

Pros

• Light
  • Strong
  • Very breathable
  • Full of features

Cons

• Hip belt is a little on the light side.

For the weight and an almost frameless pack, you can't get a more stiff ride that keeps the gear snug. I love this pack especially during the summer months with the wide open mesh back that allows your back to breath better than any other pack on the market.

Full of features not found on many packs, i.e. trekking pole quick storage, top lid, super tight compression straps, load lifter, hip belt sinch straps, and much more.

After waiting for it to hit the retail stores, I finally…

Design: Top loading, lightweight
Size: 58 litres
Number of Pockets: 9
Max. Load Carried: 23lbs
Height of Owner: 5'6"

After waiting for it to hit the retail stores, I finally purchased this product. However, once loaded, this pack sagged horribly in back, making me feel like I was carrying a bag of rocks, although it was packed well.

The hiking pole attachment on the shoulder strap, cut into my arm, leaving an open wound, something I didn't need on the trail. I had about 22 lbs total in the pack, not even a large load by any standards.

I did like the many features on this pack, including the interior water sleeve, the hip belt pockets, that held everything I wanted them to, the side pockets, which made it simple to get at my water bottles and put them back in.

I love the unisex styling, as not all gals can use a women's specific pack. The hipbelt and shoulder straps were reasonably comfortable.

This pack is plenty big enough to hold anything one would need for a week long+ trip, if packed correctly. However it just isn't the pack for me.

Just what I needed! A very airy back, 1oz per 1lb…

Source: bought it new (better than old Exos models)
Price Paid: $176 with 20% off REi

Summary

Just what I needed! A very airy back, 1oz per 1lb carry range (40oz pack to 40lb max carry). Like most corporations it's hard for them to tell the truth as my 2014 medium Exos 58 was listed at 2lb 6 oz, but my two digital scales say 2lbs 10oz.

Stripped of yuppie add-ons and hood, it was to be 2lb 2oz per Osprey, but my digital deliars say 2lbs 6oz. I suppose if I take a knife to the various gimmick add-ons and straps it would be as they listed.

Nevertheless, it will have to do as I see and feel no other pack better. I used a 13oz beltless Jardine Golite Breeze for my PCT, AT & CDT thru-hikes and feel it's time to rest my shoulders and air out my back now.

Pros

• Light frame
  • Airy frame back
  • Comfy straps and belt
  • Straps and belt are better than older Exos

Cons

• 4 oz heavier than listed by Osprey
  • Too many gimmicky add ons
  • $220, knock it down $44 with a 20% off REI coupon

Very comfy for a 2lb 6oz pack. I like it better than my weekend trip pack Gregory Z55. I trimmed down to 3lb 2 oz. I have long awaited for such a pack like the Exos to be 2lbs or less. I'm almost ready to retire the use of beltless/frameless rucks like the Breeze.

I was hoping to trim down the Exos to 2lbs or less, but Osprey got me believing my pack was 2lbs 2oz stripped until I took out the deliars. I figured I could trim off 2oz easy, but didn't realize it was over 4oz heavier per their claim.

No matter, it's light enough and comfortable to carry over 30lbs, unlike all the various ultralight cottage brands that most thru-hikers use that don't have the airy back feature like the Exos or can carry over 30lbs comfortably. I've tried them all and sometimes you just have to go heavier to get the comfort you want. Otherwise just use a frameless and beltless sub 1lb ruck and keep your total pack weight under 20lbs (7lb or less base weight).

Great design, so well thought out. It just didn't…

Number of Pockets: 5
Max. Load Carried: 25#
Height of Owner: 5'10"

Great design, so well thought out. It just didn't fit me (size long). I have a 36" waist, and I thought the belt would cut me in two. Unlike a lot of Osprey packs, you can't change these belts. The pack is working great for a buddy of mine with a 32" waist.

Waited for this pack for months after I read it was…

Design: top loading
Size: Osprey 58 large
Number of Pockets: 3 outside, two on lid, one inside pack
Max. Load Carried: 30 #
Height of Owner: 5'9"

Waited for this pack for months after I read it was coming in January -- finally got one, but it came with a hole in the mesh right above the shoulder straps.

After much tadoo, finally got it repaired (Osprey just stitched the hole closed, I could have done that!!), but now the mesh pockets are fraying around where they are sewed to the zipper. I've used it only on 20 day hikes or so, also I see wear on the bottom where the frame is covered with fabric, even though I'm careful where to set it.

Bummer, Osprey!!!!

I don't think this will be a very durable pack. I…

Price Paid: Don't remember.

I don't think this will be a very durable pack. I used this pack for one weekend trip, with a load of 22 lbs. When I got back, I noticed that the mesh on the back was beginning to come apart at the side seams.

Comfort-wise, it was okay but not great.

greenninja5150

A follow-up report would have been welcome.