Zamberlan 308 Trekker RR

Weight 580 g

Didn't fit me. My partner has a pair of the men's…

Source: tried it in the store

Summary

Didn't fit me.

Pros

• Rubber rand protects toe of boot
  • Good medium weight leather boot

Cons

• Rubber rand not breathable
  • Cut of ankle padding did not suit my feet
  • Seam down back of heel uncomfortable

My partner has a pair of the men's version and loves them, so I initially ordered a men's version in the smallest available size, but it was still too big for me. It felt comfortable, though, so a local outfitter ordered some women's Trekker RR's in for me even though they don't normally carry them.

I liked that the liners were stuck firmly to the leather on the inside — and no Gore-tex, so felt cool. I was worried that the rubber rand around the toe would make the boots feel stiff and would not allow this area to stretch and give with use, and they did not feel very wide to me (I have high volume, low arched, wide feet), just ok.

The main issue I had was that at the back of the boot, the very top where it sits on your achilles tendon was tight, and the stitching which ran along the top dug into my achilles area at the back of my leg just above the heel. I have had this trouble with a previous pair of boots, and because of the stitching, it never did "give" or stretch, and remained painful especially on descents. (I find this a problem with many boots, and can't wear Asolos, for instance.) (I also find most boots — eg Scarpas — too narrow in the forefoot).

I also found that there was a vertical seam at the back of the heel of the boot which I could feel rubbing, even just walking around the shop. Finally, the cushioning was not what I had felt in the Zamberlan Cristallos. They felt quite hard underfoot — and yet not as stiff as I would like in the sole.

For these reasons, I trialled, but did not buy the boots, and went with the Cristallos instead. But I thought it was worth reviewing them just to share this experience, just in case someone has the same issues as I do and was contemplating buying online or something!

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All 308 Trekker RR versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 6 reviews for other versions of the 308 Trekker RR. Read all reviews »