Jetboil Zip Cooking System

2011
Weight 12 oz / 345 g (system weight does not include pot support and fuel stabilizer)
Volume 27 oz / 0.8 L
Boil Time 16 oz / 0.5 L in 2 minutes, 30 seconds (avg over life of Jetpower canister)
Water Boiled 12 L per 100 g Jetpower canister
Width 4.1 in / 104 mm
Height 6.5 in / 165 mm

A solid choice for camping and backpacking but lacks…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize

Summary

A solid choice for camping and backpacking but lacks some versatility. Very simple to use. Would recommend it depending on what a person wants out of a cook system.

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Simple

Cons

• Not very versatile
  • Can't always find fuel for the stove.

This cook system has been very easy to use. The flame is consistent every time and as a whole the system is very reliable. Makes cooking in the backcountry really easy because boiling water is very fast.

The only downside I see is in its versatility. The Jetboil works best for boiling water, but not a whole lot of other things.

Also, I haven't tried cooking with non-Jetboil pots or pans, but I don't know how well that will work. Jetboil has specifically designed cookware to go along with the stoves. Also fuel for the system may not always be available where alcohol may be more readily available for an alcohol stove.

Overall, I think it depends on what you are looking for in a stove. I like this system if I simply want a no-fuss cook system, but if I wanted to get a little more creativity I would go with a different system.

Great stove. Heats water really fast and uses very…

Summary

Great stove. Heats water really fast and uses very little fuel.

Pros

• Fast

Cons

• Uses canisters, which are a little pricey

Used it camping and had no problems. Setup is really easy with only three parts. Very sturdy. But you're limited to the pot it comes with, otherwise it get unstable. Boils water in about a min. Everything packs into the pot for easy storage.

We selected the basic model, because we were not sure…

Summary

We selected the basic model, because we were not sure how frequently we would use it (as opposed to our MSR stove). Well, we love the JetBoil, and use it much more than the other backpacking stove. We use it for making hot drinks while snowshoeing or hiking, for making quick meals while canoeing and canoe camping...it is easy to use, the canisters last a decent length of time, and it is very efficient at boiling water.

Pros

• Everything is contained in the cup
  • Ease of use
  • Quick boil time

Cons

• Larger canisters do not fit in unit
  • Sometimes tough to get cup off the heating element

The stove is quick and easy to set up. We do not have the built in igniter, so we have to use matches or a lighter...but this has not been a big issue. The thumb adjuster works well, though as we usually are just boiling water, it is mostly on high.

We have not tried any other type pans with it..the flame is pretty localized, and not sure it would diffuse hat without additional gear. The stove seems very stable, as we have set it up on sand, rocks, logs, and snow. We have recommended this stove to others.

This product is very light, compact, and reliable.

Summary

This product is very light, compact, and reliable. I've tried MSR PocketRocket and mini blue torch alcohol stove, but the Jetboil is way more efficient. Built-in wind screen and boils within half the time.

Pros

• Compactible
  • Light
  • Efficient

I've owned several stoves, first one being an MSR PocketRocket.  The next being a lightweight blue torch alcohol stove.  But for efficiency, ease of carry, and everyday usage in all conditions nothing compares to Jetboil Zip.

Great all-in-one camp system. Best for elevations…

Summary

Great all-in-one camp system. Best for elevations under 8000ft. I would absolutely recommend this product. Not a single problem from day one.

Pros

• Packs small
  • Light weight
  • All-in-one system
  • French Press attachment

Cons

• Slower at high elevations

I have been using the Zip for two years now for backpacking and yet have had a single issue. It does boil water slower at elevations higher than 8000 ft, but still super happy with my purchase.

Great for solo trips, and smaller portions of food. Smallest in Jetboil lineup. Setup is very fast and easy. The Zip doesn't have a built-in igniter, larger models do. Boil time is only a couple min. and the flame has yet to be blown out, but if it was windy I always put it behind some sort of windscreen(not included).

It is very stable and also comes with legs for the fuel canister. IT packs down to the size of a Nalgene bottle. If you buy the small canister of fuel it fit inside of the Jetboil.

I just purchased the French Press adaptor and am very pleased with it. (Only after learning the tricks to it.) So to say I am happy with it would be an understatement. Go out and get one!

I chose the Zip because it's barely heavier than the…

I chose the Zip because it's barely heavier than the Sol Ti but a whole lot less expensive, and I got it on sale. And I'm glad I did.

I am impressed.

It packs very nicely, and fits well in my pack. And that's saying a lot, since I now primarily use a 35L backpack.

Boil times are amazing, and when I moved my hands over the pot and down the sides, I could tell why: virtually all the heat was focused on the bottom of the pot. This also makes it very fuel-efficient.

The downside is directly related to that. This stove boils water really really well -- which is all I need it to do. If you want to cook in it, be prepared to watch it carefully and stir it a lot. All the heat of the stove is focused in a very small area at the bottom of the pot.