Kelty Cosmic Down 20°

Insulation 550 Fill-Power Down 550 Fill-Power Down 550 Fill-Power Down
Shell Material 50D Polyester Taffeta Polyester Taffeta Polyester Taffeta
Liner Material 50D Polyester Taffeta Polyester Taffeta Polyester Taffeta
Price $99.95 USD $109.95 USD $119.95 USD

Bought this bag to replace my bigger, heavier synthetic…

Bought this bag to replace my bigger, heavier synthetic bag on sale this summer.  I have now "test driven" it in the backyard twice, and I don't think I could have found a better bag for the money.

The first night it got down to 35 and I slept inside a tent. I had to take off my thermals and socks because I was sweating. The second night it got to 26 and I slept on a ground tarp and Therm-a-rest ProLite 4, no tent.  I was very comfortable with my thermals and socks on.  I think it would be comfortable down to 10 or 15 with a liner, but I haven't tried that yet. Both nights, I slept better than I ever did with my old bag.

Finally, I weighed it with my scale and it weighed exactly 2.5 pounds, just as Kelty says. I would recommend this bag to anyone looking for a good, light, small, warm sleeping bag.

Warmth and packable. I own a sea kayak guide business…

Summary

Warmth and packable.

Pros

• Warmth
  • Great price
  • Packable

Cons

• I have not seen a con yet

I own a sea kayak guide business and was looking for a warm packable sleeping bag for my guests. "Packablity" is a huge factor for me since I have limited space in the kayaks. I had the opportunity to look at this bag in a retail store before I ordered it on line.

I was very impressed with the loft and stuffed size. Not to mention the price for a down bag! My girlfriend and I test drove this bag a few days ago in a kayak camping trip in Glacier National Park. The bag exceeded my expectations!!!

There is no doubt that the comfort rating for this bag is very accurate and the packed size will easily fit in just about any pack to include a decent size day pack.

This bag is a down sleeping bag provided to the hiker…

Summary

This bag is a down sleeping bag provided to the hiker on a budget. Every hiker has been in a situation where he is shopping for gear and he starts salivating at the idea of owning a down bag instaed of his or her 5 pound synthetic. I know I have....Well wait no more!

• Down bag for 100$ range
  • Warm and toasty

Cons

• The zipper only goes to your knees
  • The fill count is on the lower side
  • For a down bag it could be slightly lighter

This product is probably the best deal out there. If you are trekking on a budget but don't feel like buying a bag through Wal-mart, this is exactly for you. For the average price of 100$ you can have your own down sleeping bag.

Even without a liner this bag has proved itself to me time and time again in the White Mountains of NH where I live. The rating is spot on and the 550 fill down ends up not weighing in over 3 pounds!!!!

Very durable, well fitting bag, but it holds condensation…

Summary

Very durable, well fitting bag, but it holds condensation in the loft.

Pros

• very tough
  • durable
  • good wind resistance

Cons

• moisture control

I have had two winter deployments to Afghanistan in the Marine Corps. I'm pretty rough on gear, and this bag held up GREAT! Sleeping with boots in full uniform, always on rocks or hard ground and not one sign of wear.

My only complaint is that it holds moisture from perspiration in the down like cazy, but if you have time to let it sit out to dry before the next night, that's not a huge deal. Always kept me warm, even when guys with our issued bags couldn't sleep at night for being cold.

The bag will compress down to slightly larger than a softball if you try, and puffs right back up like new again.

This is an amazing bag! This bag has gotten me through…

Summary

This is an amazing bag!

• Packable
  • Warm!

Cons

• Limited space

This bag has gotten me through 18-degree weather while on a sleeping pad and insulated against the ground without any trouble. Easily the warmest lightweight I have ever had. AND that might be the best part as it IS lightweight and very packable.

The zipper is mostly snag free. The bag is a little snug if you are a big guy (if you are I suggest a Big Agnes). The bag is well made and has given me many cold nights "snug as a bug in a....Cosmic Down?"

Anyway this is a great bag for the price. Look at the ratings. Consistently highly recommended.

A warm well made bag that packs down small, and is…

Summary

A warm well made bag that packs down small, and is priced for value.

Pros

• weight
  • size
  • price

Cons

• drawcord cord-lock

I settled on this bag for several reasons including: price, stuff size, and weight.

The day after I got this sleeping bag I tried it out in the yard on a 25 degree spring night. The bag was plenty warm fit well, and seemed well made. I am 6-feet 215# and the regular fit well. I really liked the hood and the internal collar.

The only negative I found were the tiny cord lock for the drawcord. I have never seen one so small. And the zipper had a tendency to snag some.

The Kelty Cosmic Down 20 is a great bag meeting my need for a lite, small warm bag for less than a hundred bucks.

This bag is great for its price. I have used it a…

This bag is great for its price. I have used it a few times already and only have a few complaints.

It's not as well designed as some other more expensive bags and the loft is uneven at places. The design is also not consistent as I've seen some that loft better than others so you don't know what you get until you get it (if ordered online as I did), but it does keep you warm at temperatures described if you dress for the occasion and sleep in a tent.

Also, it smells very strong like feathers. I have not washed it, maybe if I do the smell will go away a bit, but expect to smell like chicken feather (I know it sounds funny) for a while when you wake up. I don't know if this is common with every one of them or just the two I got, since I haven't heard people complain about it, but I've slept in other down bags and never had that problem.

It is very light, it beats any other bag of its price range, anyone under a budget looking for a nice 20 degree bag should jump on this one with no regrets! I'm happy I bought and am looking to buy another one for my brother and sister who are beginning to backpack too.

Have used this bag for over a year now. For what I…

Price Paid: $50 at Target

Have used this bag for over a year now. For what I paid ($50) it can't be beat. Light, lofts up well, and keeps me warms right down to its 20 degree rating.

The fabric, zippers, and seams look like they're brand new. I've spent about 25 nights in it from backpacking on the AT to camping on the snow in the backyard.

I would highly recommend this bag to anyone looking for a half decent down bag.

Update: February 26, 2012

I actually spent a few nights in the bag while it was in the 20s to see how low it would go. One night it hit 19 degrees F, and I was fine with a base layer and hat on. The draft collar is great, as I don't like to have the hood cinched tightly (though it does cinch down to golf ball size).

To be honest, my bag is called the "Kelty Trekker" and was purchased at Target.  The specs and bags are identical.  After speaking with Kelty, I found they make gear for Target made under the Kelty name — some with the same specs, but named differently.

I got this bag to go camping with my son in the Boy…

I got this bag to go camping with my son in the Boy Scouts. Tried it out for size at home and thought it might be too tight but I figured I had better try it out on the trail before making my decision (5'10"200 lbs).

When I got in the bag I was already cold and my feet were very cold but after a while I was able to warm up and sleep pretty comfortable. I am not sure what the temp was in my tent but the outside temp was 17f. The bag seemed to get more comfortable as the night went on.

It packs small and seems well made and is light.

Just can't say enough nice things about this bag.

Just can't say enough nice things about this bag. I got it for winter camping on the PNW coastal area. The duck down lofts up nicely.

I bought the med size. Head to foot near perfect. Girth is a little wide for me, but tight enough to keep me snug and warm.

The temps here have been on the mild side so I have not tested down to its temp rating as of yet. But with temps in the mid 30s this bag has kept me very warm. It is light weight and compresses down nicely.

This is my first down bag since...well....My dad's old army bags in the 60s. I'm VERY pleased with it.

If you are in need of a new bag, run don't walk, buy this bag. You will not be disapionted with the bag. And will be thrilled with the price.

A best buy!

This bag is great!  2.5 lbs packs down small and…

This bag is great!  2.5 lbs packs down small and keeps you warm!

Camped last week in 30 degree weather, super comfortable.  Dropped down to low 20's tonight so I took it in the back yard and hopped in to see how warm it would keep me.  I was warmer than in my house!

I only paid 70 bucks for this bag.  I'm not the foremost expert by any means, but how can you possibly get something this good for such a great price. Even at the MSRP of around 100 beans it's a steal!!!! I can't believe there aren't more reviews on this.

Love this sleeping bag.  It is my 1st down bag. …

Love this sleeping bag.  It is my 1st down bag.  It compresses nicely, weighs about 2lb 8oz, and fits me well.

I'm about 200lbs, broad shouldered and I can zip the bag up completely and not feel confined like I can't move. The bag is rated to 20 degrees and I slept in my ENO hammock with a Thermarest, and a Heet sheet wrapped around me at 21 degrees.  Actually got a little warm and had to pull my arms and upper body out of the bag.

This is a fine sleeping bag. I plan on getting my son one when he outgrows his Jr. bag.

Only complaint is it does not come with a compression sack. Had to buy one; Sea to Summit, size small works great.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Cosmic Down 20° versions

In addition to the 12 men's reviews above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the Cosmic Down 20°. Read all reviews »