Limmer Light-Weight

Best hiking boot. These boots are far superior to…

Summary

Best hiking boot.

Pros

• One piece upper
  • Leather lining
  • Norwegian welt

Cons

• None

These boots are far superior to any of the high tech crap (aka low manufacturing cost boots).

One of the only remaining leather lined boots.  All those high tech synthetic wicking linings are BS.  Your feet will overheat and the boot will stink.

With the Limmers your feet stay comfortable and the boots never stink.

Construction is best.

The longer I've had them the more I love them. Nothing…

Summary

The longer I've had them the more I love them. Nothing compares.

Pros

• Sturdy
  • Supportive

I've been at least a thousand miles in my Limmer Lightweights. They're scarred up pretty good, and been re-soled. But I wouldn't trust any other boot now.

Bottom line - this will probably be the best hiking…

Materials: leather
Use: day hikes through heavy pack
Break-in Period: depends on use, but take the time to do it right.
Weight: 3-4 pounds per pair

Bottom line - this will probably be the best hiking boot you have ever owned.

I purchased a pair of Limmer Lightweights to help keep my Limmer Standards from wearing too fast. This is a full leather boot with a full leather lining, Norwegian welt (leather upper is stitched down to the midsole with the stitching visible). It laces up in the center and has a padded, gusseted tongue.

Unlike most leather boots, the upper is made from one piece of letter, with the only stitching on the instep. these boots are easier to waterproof and fit differently than most hiking boots as a result of the design. The heel pocket is particularly comfortable, and there is plenty of wiggle room for your toes, yet feet are very secure when the boot is laced up.

Fitting is important. Limmer has taken sales in-house, which should be a positive step in terms of fitting. though it would probably be best to try them on in person, I purchased them by following the instructions and providing a foot-tracing and measurements (with the sock combination I always use when I hike).

This is also a traditional, firm leather boot that requires a fair amount of break-in. Again, follow Limmer Boot's instructions, use their boot grease, and take your time. This is not a boot you should buy a week before a big trip, because it's stiffer than most. As a means of comparison, however, the Limmer Standard is significantly stiffer, fits higher on your ankle, and requires more break-in. I have had success wearing them to work at first, then graduating to short hikes, then taking them for longer hikes. With steady wear, they will break in after a month or two without blistering your feet.

Once the boots are broken in, they form to your feet, provide outstanding support, have a great sole, and are a pleasure to wear. They are, with the heavier Limmers, the most comfortable shoes I own, hiking or not. I have carried a pack with over 50 pounds in these boots without blistering or aching.

My frame of reference: Fabiano overlap hiking boots (horrible); the older-model Merrell Wilderness, full leather-lined and Littleway welted (very comfortable, didn't wear as well as I would have liked); Merrell and Vasque leather/nylon gore-tex boots (comfortable featherweights); and Raichle Montagnas (big, heavy duty overlap leather boots, Norwegian welt - worn for a decade before I bought the Limmers. An outstanding boot that was discontinued, not as comfortable as the Limmers but very, very good).

I just received my new Limmer Light Weights. Honestly,…

I just received my new Limmer Light Weights. Honestly, I did a lot of research before purchasing.  I don't consider myself an avid backpacker but that will change soon.

I tried on many boots from REI, Campmor including Danner. I just wasn't sold on the whole made in China experience.  I wanted a boot that would be tough, durable and could be re soled by a cobbler.

I wasn't trying to make a fashion statement (I see where J Crew is now trying to sell the Danners).  I just wanted something that would last for a very long time and that would mold to my foot.  I wanted a boot that years from now I could look at them and say "man, we've been on some adventures together!"

I emailed Limmer, received an order form, sizing sheet.  I took all my measurements, tried to follow the directions as best I could with the drawing the outlines of my feet. Mailed it back to them. What did I do!?

Well, they arrived and I have to say they are the nicest boots I've ever had. They're tough, durable and just down right awesome. I'm following the directions that was sent in the package.  Wearing them indoors first and I can't wait to bust them out on the trails.  I foresee me having these boots for a very long time.

I'm not trying to knock Danner, I just felt the fit was a little sloppy. When I saw them being sold in a local J Crew store that was a turnoff for me.  Thanks, Limmer.

I purchased these at Kittery Trading Post at the beginning…

Materials: Leather
Use: Dayhikes to extended weekend excursions
Break-in Period: None, right out of the box to the mountain.
Weight: I think 2.5

I purchased these at Kittery Trading Post at the beginning of last year. I've used them on every hike since then, probably putting 200 miles on them. There is nothing wrong with them yet, just the usual scuff marks. I coat them with the Limmer mink oil before each hike to keep them in good condition and waterproof. I chose to break these in with a hike instead of wearing them around for a while before. I soaked my feet in a river before I started hiking, because I heard that this makes them mold to your feet. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I didn't get one blister that hike or any of the rest I've done with these. They fit perfectly and keep my feet protected well. I couldn't be happier with these boots and expect to get great mileage out of them. Thanks, Limmer!

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All Light-Weight versions

In addition to the 5 men's reviews above, there are 6 reviews for other versions of the Light-Weight. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Limmer Men's Light-Weight, please share your experience.

Limmer Men's Light-Weight

The Limmer Men's Light-Weight is not available from the stores we monitor.

Average weight per pair 3.5 pounds