Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set

A couple pros and cons, but all in all a good product.

Summary

A couple pros and cons, but all in all a good product.

Pros

• Stainless steel
  • Good quality

Cons

• Discoloured if in flame
  • Made in China

I got this product about two weeks ago. It is made in China, which is not ideal for me, but it is good, still good quality and works fine on a grill or over a fire, but be aware if the flames are reaching the side it does discolour the stainless steel. Also if you are cooking on a fire soot does build, but can be washed off.

Great for lightweight hiking or compact car based…

Summary

Great for lightweight hiking or compact car based BOB.

Pros

• Lid fits many pots, cups. GSI, Ozark trail cup, etc
  • Stainless non coated, you can clean it with a handful of sand
  • Locking handle
  • Straining lid
  • Just right amount of capacity

Cons

• Can't do fire cooking without modding the lid
  • No bail for suspended cooking, but you can mod it :)

Love this thing! Its best use is heating water. Second best is heating canned items. Third best at noodles/rice/beans. Does not fry anything lol. If you caught a fish you will have to clean and dice it, but that may be just what you want to do to add to your rice.

Rice and noodles need attentive stirring to avoid burned bits. Not a big deal and it goes quick. Knorr brand dry soup mixes are my favorie. Mix in a little caught or shot protein and you're set! This is my go-to for spike camps and spur of the moment solo hikes

Search for the key ring mod and drill two holes for the ultimate in flexible cooking potential! Love it.

Would have given five out of five. Probably will if I can learn to poach my egg instead of fry.

This is the perfect size cookset for an alcohol soda…

Summary

This is the perfect size cookset for an alcohol soda can stove with a windguard/potstand made from a large soup can. The stove and fuel can easily fit inside and the large soup can slides right over the exterior. The 2 insulated cups make it so you can easily eat your food while it is still hot. The lid reduces cooking time, but it can also be used as a strainer. The handle folds away nicely and does not get hot.

Pros

• It is the perfect size for certain stove designs.
  • Insulated cups let you eat while the next pot is cooking

Cons

• It is heavy with both cups.

This cookset is the perfect size for an alcohol soda can stove and a windguard/potstand made from a large soup can. The soup can fits snugly over the lower end of hte pot and the stove will fit inside the nested cups inside the pot. I like using alcohol for fuel because it can also be used as part of the first aid kit.

The handle folds over to hold the lid on while packed and locks in place when in use. This cookset is durable and easy to clean. If traveling solo, the cups can be left at home to save weight.

This is a very sturdy set. A little heavy. Set wt.

Price Paid: about $14.50

Summary

This is a very sturdy set. A little heavy. Set wt. 13.8 oz. or 390 g. without the cups 7.8oz. 220g. I found to use it without the cup. A canister fuel can will fit inside with a small stove and small spork. The lid is vented and you can strain with it and the lifting tabs locks up. The handle locks in tight. Measures on side to 20 oz. can hold up to 24 oz. I bought it for around $14.50 at Target. Well worth the money. Would work real good for younger hikers or others hard on gear. would be great for scouting. One cup wt. 3oz.

Pros

• almost bullet proof
  • lid can strain and holding tap can lock up straight
  • can hold fuel canister inside with small stove
  • stainless is easy to clean and scrub
  • will hold heat longer can be good or bad
  • very good deal for price

Cons

• little heavy for advanced hikers
  • most likely won't use the cups
  • takes longer to heat than titanium

I have used this cook set on two scout hiking trips. For dehydrated food and such this set never fails.

Three of my scouts have this set too. I got this set to show them. The kids are hard on gear. They don't have any dents in their sets, so it's almost bullet proof.

It will take longer to cool down but on the other hand it will stay warm longer. If you do burn something in it you won't have to worry about scrubbing too hard. The handle will get hot, but not too bad. The handle locks down tight.

About 6 strainer are in a row on the lid, so you can strain water out. The tap for lifting the lids locks straight up. You can do some measuring on the side. IT does hold about 24 oz total. I didn't use the cup. Heavy duty cups.

Price for this set is real good. I can fit my canister fuel in it with a pocket rocket, spork, and lighter.

Hope this was helpful.

I have used this with a home made white box style…

Summary

I have used this with a home made white box style alcohol stove and it works great. Solid and dependable. Very well thought out.

8/3/13 Update: Even with all of the kits I have, I keep going back to this pot. The handle and the lid are what make the biggest difference. I made a small whitebox style stove from a 8.5oz aluminum Coke bottle and it is crazy efficient with this pot. Love it.

Pros

• Bombproof
  • Built-in measurements
  • Strainer lid
  • Locking handle

Cons

• Cups are bulky - Get hot - Stay hot when the liquid is gone
  • A little heavy compared to aluminum or TI

I bought this little unit because I like to test different products with my different alcohol stoves. I have to admit that this is one of my favorites.

Sure, it is heavier than TI, but I think you are better off saving those ounces somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, I really like my two Snow Peak TI cooksets, but for the extra money, are they worth it?

The metal lid is a nice feature when using alcohol stoves. The higher flame scorched the silicone lid on my Snow Peak unit and started to melt the edge on the clear plastic lid on my GSI unit.  They are both great, but best used with a gas stove.

If you are planning on using alcohol or wood fired stoves, this is a good solid choice.

This is well made, but does not fit well on our backpack…

Summary

This is well made, but does not fit well on our backpack stoves--too small. Also it does not use stove fuel efficiently being such a small diameter it takes longer to boil water than a larger pot.

Pros

• compact
  • well made

Cons

• too small diameter

We tried this out making mac and cheese for a picnic. Took a lot longer to boil water due to the small diameter. Would only fit on one of our stoves due to this also. It is nicely made and the cups feel good in your hand and keep tea warm, but are a bit heavy.

This is a perfect mess kit for one or two people (if…

Summary

This is a perfect mess kit for one or two people (if they're both minimalists). Lightweight.

Pros

• Size

Cons

• Overall a great product

This inexpensive kit is perfect for a backpacker.

Good idea but for me too heavy. Very versatile and…

Price Paid: $15- 16 I think

Summary

Good idea but for me too heavy. Very versatile and ingenious idea!

Pros

• Versatile
  • Stainless steel
  • Company I love Stanley!

Cons

• Weight
  • Handle

The cups were the main weight, although you could always leave them at home. The other thing that I thought was an issue was the handle. The lid is super cool has a couple holes for vent.

I think it was clever, just they lost me when it came to the weight. Not sure on weight since I don't own a scale but my hands sure know when something is too heavy for me! I found mine at Target and also saw it at Walmart. Could see it lasting for years very durable.

In the end I decide not to get it.

If you've owned or used a Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set, please share your experience.

Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set

The Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 20, 2014 at Mountains Plus.

If you're looking for a new cookware, check out the best reviewed current models.