TheTentLab Deuce of Spades

3 comments

Price Paid: I believe $14, got it discounted on original Kickstarter campaign

Summary

Great trowel, gets the job done at the same weight as titanium trowels, but for about 1/3 the cost.

Pros

• Light
  • Strong
  • Same benefits as titanium trowels for 1/3 the cost

Cons

• Can be uncomfortable on your hand when digging

Thanks for the review, TJ. I wouldn't have thought there is so much to say about a trowel!

I own one of these as well, got it off the original Kickstarter campaign. From your pics, TJ, it appears the final product went through some very minor design mods between the Kickstarter campaign and full retail.

The little hole at the top of the handle on mine is not a "starburst" shape, and frankly I wonder if that shape could cut any cord you loop through it. It also looks like the handle is slightly wider and squatter than mine, but that may just be how it photographs.

It's as light as the titanium trowels out there, but for about 1/3 the cost. Weight of the Deuce hits spec at 0.59 oz on my scale. Works well. It's made of thin aluminum that normally would not be very strong, but the way this trowel is shaped gives it plenty of strength for cathole digging.

I also got the "gold" color thinking it would be easier to see so I won't accidentally leave it behind.

I do find that the thin metal can make it uncomfortable on your hand when digging, I just wrap a bandana/lightload towel around the handle first.

Some people carry no trowel at all, claiming they can just rake a hole with their trekking poles or the heel of their shoe — I've never found I can dig a recommended 6" minimum depth cathole that way and doubt those who use such methods do so either. I also don't want to tear the sole of my shoe off trying to dig a cathole with it. With the Deuce of Spades you can carry a tool that gets the job done and not worry about extra weight (my trowel is always part of my 8 lb base weight).

Sorry, don't have have "action" pics, wasn't planning to post this review but then saw TJ's and had to jump on the bandwagon.

EDIT: My comment about this trowel costing about 1/3 what the titanium trowels do was based on my discounted cost of I believe $14 from the Kickstarter campaign. At $20 retail the Deuce is more like 1/2 the cost of the ti trowels.

TJ1984

Glad to see others are enjoying theirs as well!

Thanks for sharing your review of this too, JRinGeorgia.

Nice review, JR!