Hilleberg Staika

I bought this tent last year for winter use. I've…

Summary

I bought this tent last year for winter use. I've used it in the Adirondacks in down to -20°F (-29°C) nights.

Pros

• Self standing
  • Solid in every sense

Cons

• Heavy, especially because I use it as a 1-person tent.

I will try not to mention too many of the things mentioned in the other reviews.

I bought the tent exclusively for winter use in the Northeast. So far four hikes this year. I haven't used it in storm conditions yet, but I've tried to wake up in 1 foot of very heavy new snow. The temperature was just around freezing and the snow was extra heavy because of the melting water. The tent stood fine although sagging a bit, especially closer to the ground/ the edges, because of the weight of the snow.

I woke up with the tent completely covered and I couldn't hear a sound. Then realized that the snow was blimping out all sounds. I shook the tent and the snow felt to the edges. Now I could hear that it was still snowing and the daylight penetrated the tent as well.

I'm overall happy with the Staika. It's heavy for 1 person and I wish it was longer so my sleeping bag wouldn't touch the inside of the tent. During the night with the heavy snowfall, the snow prevented the tent from airing out and there was some condensation on the inside of the tent. All my other nights, I haven't had any problems with condensation as long as I leave all the air-vents fully open. That means that the temperature inside the tent is the same as the outside temperature.

It's true that the top attachable mini-fly has to be de-attached and attached once the tent has been set. That takes extra time.

When setting up the tent, I've been digging out snow. Normally around a foot. I've used MSR snow stakes for the 6 outer guidelines and haven't used stakes for the 6 loops at the edge of the tent. Normally the snow has been too powderish and I haven't be able to get a hold with the stake going straight down anyway. The MSR snow stakes used for the outer guidelines are buried down dead man style and that has world good so far. Especially considering the foot tall wall around the tent.

On one outing I used the tent without the inner tent in order to save weight. That worked fine and I will do that at some of my future hikes again.

When putting up the tent, there are a lot of lines that have to be straightened out while placing the tent on the ground. Not a big deal and it only takes a minute but its important that the poles are not inserted with a line on the wrong side of the pole. Still, its very quick and easy to put up the tent.

I purchased the tent in 2013. The bathtub bottom is seam sealed but the corners that goes up on the side (6" or so) are not. I'm not worried as long as I'm only using the tent during the winter but I am going to seam seal the corners anyways. I think I would have been nice if they were sealed from the factory like the floor itself is. I haven't tried if water is penetrating.

I'm also considering purchasing the Hilleberg Nammatj 2 since its 3lb. lighter and I it looks like I don't have to use stakes at the hooks at the edge of the tent if I just dig it down in the snow on the sides and then use stakes for the outer guidelines and the front and the back. The Nammatj 2 would then be my 2-person tent in addition to the Staika and my Big Agnes Copper Spur 2. The Big Agnes is my lightweight 1-person summer/ fall tent for good weather (3lb 14oz).

The Nammatj 2 would be for hiking with someone else or when it's foul weather, and the Staika for solo or hiking or with someone else in the winter. Make sense, right :)

Weight:

• shell, poles winter stakes = 5lb. 15oz.
  • shell, poles, stakes, inner tent = 8lb 11oz.
  • Outer shell 3lb 10oz
  • Poles  1lb  15oz.
  • Stakes  8oz.
  • 6 MSR winter stakes 6oz.
  • Ground tarp 1lb 1oz.
  • Inner tent  2lb 10oz
G00SE

Nice review, Nordic Runner!

The best tent makers in the world, however the tent…

Price Paid: £850

Summary

The best tent makers in the world, however the tent I bought leaked and Hilleberg told me to fix it myself!

Pros

• Easy setup

Cons

• Bathtub floor leaks water
  • Told to fix it myself

Having just bought a Hilleberg Staika for £850 I noticed that my bathtub floor corner seams were not sealed so I poured in some water and guess what, it ran straight out through the seams. When I looked closely I could even see daylight through some stitch holes.

I sent an email to Hilleberg about it and got the reply "yes, we know they leak but can send you some seam sealant to use." I was staggered that possibly the most expensive tent in the world had such a major design fault and it had not been fixed by the manufacture.

Needless to say I fired off a reply saying the same, but never got a reply, so I took the tent back to the shop and got my money back. While there we checked all the other Hilleberg models in the shop and they all leaked. The other makes of tent we checked all had fully taped seams and none of them leaked.

I've since emailed the MD of the company, but to date have not had a reply — very, very poor customer service.

What makes an initial good impression is this tent's…

Design: Freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: Easy
Weight: 8 pounds

What makes an initial good impression is this tent's free-standing quality and it's ability to be lifted and placed exactly where it needs to be for sleeping purposes. The 2 door vestibules are also part of the free-standing dome structure and therefore do not need to be staked out. As with nearly all Hillebergs, this tent has a suspended inner tent which is supported by the 3 poles clipped onto the outside of the silicone/Kerlon fly. Headroom is great and the interior space is perfect for one person. It is a big tent in some ways but in other ways it's total footprint is small and fits into most tent sites. The short pole sleeves and clip system is fast and strong.

The golden yellow inner tent canopy is one of my favorite things about the Hilleberg line of tents and I like the bright interiors on cloudy days like today. Another big plus is the 100 denier 3-coated floor which almost feels rubbery and you just know it'll keep out the snow and rain. WEIGHT: This one attribute(along with price)is the main reason this tent is not carried and used by more backpackers. I don't mind carrying an 8 pound tent, in my mind it is light when you look at what you're getting: A large 2 door, 2 vestibule strong 3-poled four season self-standing high tech dome tent with 36 cubic feet of living space. This tent is a well thought out piece of gear built by people who have improved it with years of evolution and next-generation additions. Unlike many tents I could mention, Hilleberg finds something that works and instead of discontinuing it, improves it.

Update: January 11, 2008

Here is a follow up report of the Hilleberg Staika after extensive use and many winter backpacking trips.

The main problem I found with this green dome 3 pole tent is the umbrella fly's attachment points. The fly connects to the tent using 6 plastic toggles which insert into 6 plastic rings, all beefy and strong. The toggle is connected to a short piece of webbing which is adjustable with a plastic ladder buckle. In warm weather this system works great, in ice-cold rain that freezes solid, this system is pitiful and nearly impossible to use.

The webbing freezes stiff so the ladder buckle won't allow adjustment, that's one problem. The other is that the webbing behind the toggle won't bend enough to let the toggle pass out of the ring. It's all one big complicated mess. And as far as I can tell, the umbrella fly must detach in order to remove the poles from their short bottom sleeves in the process of taking down the tent.

I emailed Hilleberg about this several weeks ago but have not gotten a reply. The only solution is to warm each point IN THE MOUTH to thaw enough to detach, or to use hot water in some way. I find such a problem to be ironic in a tent purported to be at home in the Arctic. I would be interested to see how the owners of other Hilleberg tents that use this system respond (Jannu/Saivo/Allak/Soulo).

Don't get me wrong, this is still a great tent and I'll continue to use it wholeheartedly as my main shelter.

To put it in simple terms, this is the best tent I've…

Design: Expedition Geodome - Suited for Summer as well
Ease of Setup: Very easy.
Weight: 8 pounds
Price Paid: Full Value from Petra

To put it in simple terms, this is the best tent I've ever seen for our needs. I have looked throughout the world at tent offerings, following even the faintest trails in search of an ideal shelter.

The only tent I found that could hold a candle to the Staika was the Allak; another Hilleberg tent and essentially the lightweight version of the Staika with a couple of design deviations.

Here are the attributes I've come to greatly appreciate, and have *only found together in the Hilleberg Staika*:

1) Very strong geodesic design. Utilizing 3 10mm poles of equal length.
2) *Completely* freestanding. It can be staked out (for really bad weather) but even the two vestibules are fully erected by the tent poles.
3) The entire tent goes up together. This keeps the inner tent dry even if the Staika is being erected in a downpour.
4) Long two-person inner tent body with two doors. 91" / 230cm long inner tent.
5) Fully adjustable venting through the tent body. Using no-seeum mesh/cloth panels that run overhead.
6) Plenty of storage area. Two large vestibules of equal size.
7) Venting right through the top of the tent body and rainfly, ***even in the rain***!
8) Directionally opposed doors allow for cross-flow circulation through the tent, regardless of if the wind is coming from the north, south, east or west. The lighter Allak lacks this feature, with both entries accessed from the same direction.
9) Incredible attention to detail and handmade by one person in Europe.
10) At under 8 pounds, the Staika is light given its size, heavy-duty construction and capabilities.
11) Great worldwide customer support by the family bearing the brand name themselves.

We've owned the Staika since the summer of 2006. This tent has traveled with us through Europe and remote Alaska. It's been heavily used in all kinds of pitch locations and weathered many storms. Equally at home in all four seasons. It seems to have a lifetime of use left in it and we have no complaints.

I've not been sponsored or been given a discount. I'd move onto something else if anything could beat the above list of design achievements. Not likely.

If you've owned or used a Hilleberg Staika, please share your experience.