Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2010

The Trailspace team (Alicia, Dave, Tom, Bill, and Seth) is off to Salt Lake City August 2-6 to explore the gear celebration that is Outdoor Retailer Summer Market. It's the world’s largest outdoor gear industry gathering, with more than 1,000 outdoor brands—from old reliables to hot young things—and 20,000 attendees.

We'll bring you coverage from the pre-show Open Air Demo day (Monday, August 2) at Jordanelle State Park, through four straight days of gear announcements and launches, demonstrations, and events (August 3-6). Subscribe to our blog and news RSS feeds for real-time updates of our daily show coverage, and follow our tweets from the show floor on Twitter.

More Coverage

Day Four Coverage

Day Three Coverage

Day Two Coverage

Day One Coverage

Open Air Demo Day Coverage

Pre-Show Coverage

Comments

noddlehead
July 27, 2010 at 11:16 p.m. (EDT)

I know it may sound callous but I could care less.......... Could be that others think it is a whoopy! party.

July 28, 2010 at 6:15 a.m. (EDT)

Ahh come on Noodle, a major part of the mission of this web site is to facilitate sharing information about gear. It's what these folks do. Maybe old fart like us aren't interested in the latest and greatest, or more aptly stated are comfortable in our respective trail ruts with the gear we have. But I am sure many TS members are keen, and anticipate what the trailspace folks will have to share upon their return. Heck, if nothing else even you and I can get a chuckle as they describe some of the more esoteric swag that they, too, found amusing.

I think the gear show would be a gas. Of course I must ask: Do they sell alcohol at the show? The outdoor fraternity taken in as a whole is a pretty colorful group, kind of like carnies, except more intellectual. (Sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers.) As it is, I will just miss it, as my annual Zion trip hits the road from LA on the sixth.

tommangan
July 28, 2010 at 7:04 a.m. (EDT)

Get this: some gear companies give beer away -- at the end of the day; you'd need a beer too if you'd just spent eight hours trying to convince total strangers of the merit of all the work your company's done in the last year.

There are people who devote their life to making a liter of water boil seven seconds faster, or make a pack carry the same load with three ounces less weight. The cynic might see OR as a hypefest for gear with only marginal improvements over last year's model; a more charitable view is these folks are devoting their lives to making our hiking lives better. Granted, they're all trying to shake lose a buck, but it's an extremely competitive industry, and their scrum for advantage generally leads to better tents, sleeping bags, shoes, etc.

Now if I could only convince Dave and Alicia that free beer enhances my ability to cover the convention.

yock
July 28, 2010 at 7:40 a.m. (EDT)

With the recent story that beer enhances rehydration, that shouldn't be difficult, Tom!

tommangan
July 28, 2010 at 7:43 a.m. (EDT)

That, reinforced with Noddlehead's Declaration of Indifference, should be all I need to persuade them my time is better spent schmoozing, carousing and guzzling than returning to my hotel room and cranking out blog posts for the Trailspace faithful.

Thank for the help!

alan
July 28, 2010 at 1:26 p.m. (EDT)

Free beer, what's not to like?

noddlehead
July 28, 2010 at 6:04 p.m. (EDT)

Who-who,

How many six-packs is it from LA to Zion?

July 29, 2010 at 3:06 a.m. (EDT)

How many six-packs is it from LA to Zion?

No drinking while driving. Despite my fondness for booze, it is limited to mainly its taste; I am a sipper not a guzzler. I really don't like being drunk or hungover. There are other ways to enjoy one's self;) It takes me about twelve hours to get from porch to campsite.

noddlehead
July 29, 2010 at 7:19 a.m. (EDT)

noddlehead said:

How many six-packs is it from LA to Zion?

My question was a kinda sideways question and relates to the writings of another Ed who often measured miles by six-pack. Ed Abbey......

Of any book he ever wrote "Fools Progress" is the one I best relate to.

Okay, I derailed another thread..........

Wondering how to get it back on topic........ Hmmmm?

Oh, If there is any negative gravity gear out this year I would be interested.

noddlehead
July 29, 2010 at 11:27 a.m. (EDT)

Could not help it on Ed Abbey............

So much has changed and been destroyed, even in my lifetime.

I would ask people at the convention to just stay home.

Cleric
August 1, 2010 at 10:45 p.m. (EDT)

Sold me right there. Outdoor gear and free beer? Are you guys taking a vacation in my own personal heaven and didn't invite me?

noddlehead
August 1, 2010 at 11:06 p.m. (EDT)

tommangan said:

Clerics should be beyond drinking free beer.........

Skimanjohn
August 9, 2010 at 3:29 p.m. (EDT)

Well noodlehead i have to agree with whomeworry.Though iam an "old fart" iam not totally stuck in the old style gear room.Over the last few years i have replaced a bunch of my older,and still good to go,gear with newer,much lighter and more comfortable gear on the market today.I must say that at 59 years old iam once again enjoying my outdoors adventures as i once did as a younger man.So for me new is sometimes good.I am not one that has to have the latest and greatest to shave a few grams but if i find it usefull,lite and well made i will purchase it if there is a need and fit for me.Ymmv.