Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2010
The Trailspace team (Alicia, Dave, Tom, Bill, and Seth) is off to Salt Lake City August 2-6 to explore the gear celebration that is Outdoor Retailer Summer Market. It's the world’s largest outdoor gear industry gathering, with more than 1,000 outdoor brands—from old reliables to hot young things—and 20,000 attendees.
We'll bring you coverage from the pre-show Open Air Demo day (Monday, August 2) at Jordanelle State Park, through four straight days of gear announcements and launches, demonstrations, and events (August 3-6). Subscribe to our blog and news RSS feeds for real-time updates of our daily show coverage, and follow our tweets from the show floor on Twitter.
- Petzl, Energizer, PacSafe, SPOT, Integral Designs. Bill Straka looks at a belay/rappelling device, a new solar-charging system, anti-theft products, and news from SPOT and Integral Designs/Rab.
- Packs from Sierra Designs, Granite Gear: SD's intriguing suspension system; GG's pack that wraps around a bear canister.
- Platypus, MSR, Therm-a-Rest: Hydration packs, tents, cooking gear, sleeping gear.
- Portable Power: nPower PEG, Goal Zero Nomad 7, Tech 40 Pocket Power Pack
Goodbye SLC: Final shots from the week
Highlights from the show: Black Diamond foldable trekking poles, Patagonia's lightest down shirt ever, Freedom of the Hills turns 50, and more
- Sovereign Earth's Guardian in-bottle filter
Day Four Coverage
- SteriPEN Sidewinder -- hand-crank UV purifier
- Bill explores OR (Part 2): Hilleberg, Leki, Easton, Polar, injini, Bluewater
- Getting water in and keeping it out: vaccum Dry Case and Geigerrig hydration system
- Jetboil stoves and tool for 2011
Day Three Coverage
- Camelbak Antidote reservoir -- total overhaul -- plus packs
- Mountainsmith adds tents, sleeping bags
- Bill explores OR (Part 1): Sunblock, Magellan, QuickPitch tent, Celestron, Grip socks, Suunto, and more
- Cool new dog gear: Peakwaggers food, D-fa Dog puffy jacket, Granite Gear pack
Day Two Coverage
- Klymit Inertia X Frame pad
- "Lightest Double-Wall Shelter in the World"
- Easton Mountain Products' Kilo tent, AirLock tent pole connectors, and trekking poles with Vi-Brake
- Columbia Sportswear acquiring OutDry technology
Day One Coverage
Open Air Demo Day Coverage
On the water at Demo Day: paddling, Pakboats, waterproof cases, Mountain House, raptors, and 127 Hours