Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker

A minimalist approach to the inflatable mattress,…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

A minimalist approach to the inflatable mattress, making sleeping on the ground a lot more comfortable than I remember it. By no means the biggest, warmest, or most comfortable sleeping pad there is, I find this the best compromise that provides me with "just enough." For how small it packs down, heck, that's something I'm willing to live with.

• VERY packable small size
  • Adjustable firmness

Cons

• Narrow 20" width [for "regular" size]
  • Noisy against tent floors
  • Labor-intensive to manually inflate
  • Expensive retail price

891974_240202096126230_1998736715_o.jpg

I couldn't write this review without pointing out the obvious first flaw, and that's the barrier-to-entry retail price of this sleeping pad.

P1020057.jpg

Luckily my birthday falls close enough to Christmas, and I was fortunate enough to receive a pair of these as gifts. First bit of advice: ask Santa for this one, or a loved one the next time a holiday rolls around. Your checking account will thank me.

P1020058.jpg

First impression?

Holy crap, these pack down small.

4" x 9" packed,  19 ounces each.

2013-05-13-20-07-51.jpg

When I was opening gifts, it wasn't until I opened the box and read the package that I knew what I was getting. Deflated, folded into thirds, and rolled up, they take up less space than a Nalgene bottle. More than a soda can, but less than a Nalgene bottle.

Here's the pad in the included stuff sack (note I've also packed my battery-operated Camp-Tek Microburst Pump in with it):

2013-05-13-20-08-47.jpg

2013-05-13-20-08-25.jpg

Setup is simple, but labor-intensive. It takes — easily — a couple dozen FULL lung-fulls of air to get these pads inflated. After an exhausting day on the trail, this is right up there with tick removal when it comes to the "fun chores" category.

Untwist the valve counterclockwise to open it.

Blow like you're trying to put out the Great Chicago Fire.

And tighten it back up clockwise when you've reached your desired firmness.

I usually keep my mouth over the valve until I'm COMPLETELY done inflating it, so I don't lose any firmness at all.

2013-05-13-20-15-34.jpg

Luckily, battery-operate pumps are available. I bought a Microburst from Camp-Tek and it does the work for me in about five minutes or so. Nice, too, in that I can let the pads inflate while I set up the rest of camp. Let's hear it for multitasking, folks.

2013-05-13-20-06-28.jpg

I have a set of the regular-size pads, which measure 20" W x 72" L x 2.5" T when fully inflated.

2013-05-13-20-14-52.jpg

Luckily I'm an even six feet tall, and am a skinny guy, so this size works just fine for me.

For reference, here's the pad with a Marmot Trestles 15-Degree Sleeping Bag (Women's Regular, which fits a maximum height of 6' - 0") on top of it:

2013-05-13-20-16-35.jpg

No, there's not a lot of room to roll around, and no, it's not the longest pad, but it fits into my tent and provides me just enough sleeping space without taking up unnecessary room in my tent.

Some folks prefer vertical baffles, opposed to the horizontal ones seen here. I'm not much of one to roll around in my sleep, and I've certainly never rolled off my sleeping pad entirely in the night, so this feature comes down to personal preference.

Before using these, I would sacrifice 4/5ths of my tent floor space (in a 4-person tent) by sleeping on cots. I got so irritated with losing all the valuable square footage that I resolved to find a more space-efficient way of sleeping, and sleeping comfortably.

These pads are the best possible compromise, taking up no more room than they have to, and still allowing me a comfortable night's rest without eating up the square footage (or headroom) in my tent.

Sure, I could have bought the longer version of the pad, but that would not only negate the packability and weight of the regular size, but run the risk of touching my tent walls and being a magnet for condensation.

Where insulating value and warmth are concerned, a 2.0 R value makes this no more than a 3-season pad. Being a spring-through-fall camper, this is more than enough for me.

Biggest complaint I wish they did something about, like others mentioned, is the noise.

These things swish against a tent floor more than an overzealous jogger in a windbreaker. I know you can bring an extra sheet to keep them from sliding around, or use your flannel bag liner. Already using the bag liner, well, in my bag, this doesn't exactly work for me. Something about the material on the bottom being non-textured seems to encourage it (100D poly, top is a 75D textured poly).

This isn't the perfect solution for my sleeping needs, but like I said, it is the best compromise.

A lightweight sleeping pad weighing in at 19 oz and…

Price Paid: 65 bucks

Summary

A lightweight sleeping pad weighing in at 19 oz and packs up quite small. Somewhat loud and quite narrow. Very expensive when bought at full price. However, the size and weight are definitely pluses for this sleeping pad.

Pros

• Deflated size and small pack size
  • Thick at 2.5 inches

Cons

• Expensive
  • Narrow
  • Somewhat loud
  • Included stuff sack is too big for the actual pad
  • Did I mention expensive?

I bought the Regular sized Neo Air Trekker on discount from Campsaver.com for around 65 bucks a few months back when they had an added 10% discount on all outlet items.  The pad I bought was an "Irregular" version which meant a further discount. At full price, the pad is over 100 bucks... which seems like A LOT of money for this sleeping pad.

I do not currently use the optional pump for this mattress and I fill the sleeping pad with good ol' lung power.  I haven't really had an issue with blowing up the mattress myself and cannot justify spending more money and increasing pack weight by purchasing the optional pump.

I've used the Neo Air Trekker in various conditions now, including a most recent trip (7/12-7/13) to Weaver Lake in the Jennie Lakes Wilderness where temps dropped to approximately 45-50 degrees.  Any chill from the ground was not a factor at all.  I believe the new Neo Air Trekker All Seasons have an increased R-value which provides even more warmth at the same weight.  However, the new model is also a whopping $150 retail which I am not prepared to spend.

My first impressions of the mattress was that it was similar to an inflatable pool mattress with tougher materials.  I have not used the lighter, yellow Neo Air version, but supposedly, the Neo Air Trekker is constructed of tougher materials.  As mentioned in previous reviews, the Neo Air Trekker is quite loud.  However, once setup, it is relatively comfortable (esp. compared to CCF pads) given the 2.5" thickness.

The mattress is a little on the narrow side, but I am of slight build, so it's not too much of a factor for me.  However, ultimate comfort is difficult to achieve on this mattress for side sleepers, due to the narrow construction of the mattress.  It seems as this mattress would be most suitable for sleepers who primarily lie on their backs.  The baffling construction also provides nice back/lumbar support when filled firmly after a long hike.

As aforementioned, the biggest plus sides to this mattress is the weight and the pack size.  While I found the included stuff sack to be too big for the actual mattress, I used the stuff sack from my Patagonia Down Sweater as a stuff sack and it fits perfectly.  Furthermore, this mattress weighs only 19 oz, which is a definite upgrade from my previous self-inflating ALPS Mountaineering "Lightweight" Series Pad which clocked in at over 2 pounds and was very bulky.  However, comfort wise, I would say I preferred the ALPS pad over the Neo Air Trekker, even though the ALPS pad is only listed as 1.5" of thickness from the ground compared to the Neo Air Trekker's 2.5".  The padding within the ALPS pad, as well as the width, seemed more conducive to side-sleepers.

The biggest drawback to this product is the price.  True, I do appreciate that this mattress is made within the United States and I'm all for the increase of manufactured goods within the U.S.  However, at $100+ dollars retail, for essentially some denier polyester and synthetic insulation seems a little much. Of course, if you had the expendable income, price would not be an issue as the weight and pack size would trump the cost. However, I would have a difficult time paying the retail price for this product without any discounts.

In regards to air leaks, I have not had any of the leakage problems as detailed within other reviews (knock on wood!) as the Neo Air Trekker has held up within a handful of uses. But with the price incurred for these mattresses, I would be quite discouraged if I had experienced air leaks after only a few uses.

Here's a pic at of the NeoAir Trekker inside my tent at Weaver Lake:
IMG_20130713_085740.jpg

The NeoAir Trekker in the Patagonia Stuff Sack next to a 2L Platypus:

IMG_20130714_135203.jpg

Lasted me about a week before it blew a hole somewhere…

Summary

Lasted me about a week before it blew a hole somewhere I can't find... Not even submerged in the bath tub. No repair kit included. Tired of air mattresses leaking. I switched to Clark Jungle Hammock and haven't looked back. Product best for a recall. Would not recommend.

Pros

• None

Cons

• Will cost you $100 or more for nothing

As I said in my summary, complete waste of money. Lasted about 6 nights. Can't find the leak and even if I did they did not include a repair kit. No gear stores out in the bush in Costa Rica either, so on the ground I was.

I did my research and read reviews stating the same, but thought they were just sour grapes... Yhey were right. Hope this helps save you some money.

harderm

That's another big minus for inflatable pads of all kinds and makes. If anything goes south on the trail, you have nothing, I mean nothing. With a solid pad, you always have some cushioning, however inadequate. As for the "leaks", I've observed the same problem in other Thermarests. You can't find the leak, so a repair kit would do you no good anyway.

harderm

If your pad is new, like in the last year or two, I wouldn't let the warranty stop you. Call the company and complain. Surely, they are aware of invisible leaks, and if they are at all responsive to customer issues, they will replace the pad. BTW, I strongly recommend keeping your pad in a roll when not in use. A friend who swore and cursed at his thermarest when it leaked. He folded, spindled, if not mutilated his pad to squeeze it into his pack. They come rolled up when you buy them. Take the hint.

GoPrimalCostaRica

@Harderm... Agreed, if I go back to tent camping I would go for the solid pad. And yes, it was folded back in the original pattern as from the factory. I have had different Therm-a-rest's for years and they all have leaked after some time. That comes with the territory I do understand... with any brand. But I was very disappointed in how quickly this mattress went bad. I should send back to factory and see if they will stand behind it. It really did sleep well LOL... until it failed Thanks!

HRHiker, NIB???

GoPrimalCostaRica

Hi there HornRimmedHiker... To be clear yes, mine was new in box from REI as well. It did not get it's leak from sitting in it's stuff sack folded factory style but in use on the ground, in my tent, with a tent footprint, with my 165 Lbs/75Kg after only 6 nights. I would not doubt that they may now be adding a kit, since when I read the first reviews before purchasing, that was one complaint by many of the comments. Mine was purchased around Oct/Nov 2012 with no kit. Hope this helps.

Terrible. Not much to say. Slippery, slides all over…

Summary

Terrible.

Pros

• Light
  • Small

Cons

• Slippery
  • Noisy
  • Expensive

Not much to say. Slippery, slides all over your tent, it's noisy, it's easy to inflate, however when you're tired it sucks to inflate it. The air nozzle is situated on top where you sleep. Not only is it a terrible design you bump into it when you sleep as it stands up. It is very light and packs very well.

I personally did not find it comfortable. I am now sleeping on a MEC Reactor 2.6. Nice pad and packs better than Therm-a-Rest (comparable).

Surprisingly light, compact and durable! Here is my…

Price Paid: USD 105

Summary

Surprisingly light, compact and durable!

Pros

• lightweight
  • small size when packed
  • durable than the NeoAir
  • very comfortable

Cons

• annoyingly noisy
  • needs to blow air

Here is my sleep system:

sleep01.jpg

EASE OF USE:

Blowing air into the pad is not that fun! However when you passed this predicament you would immediately noticed how comfortable it is. With 2.5in cushion and a rugged 100D polyester bottom, you are in dreamland in no time!

I would have easily rate it 5 stars if not for the noise it makes everytime you move. My wife complained that the noise it makes is so annoying that it wakes her up.

I have no issues with its lower R value compared to the NeoAir, since I mostly camp in Hong Kong. Winter here has its low at around 3-10°CSurely far from the limitations of the Trekker.

I'm 90 Kg and 185 cm and live in Australia. I've spent…

Price Paid: $AU150

I'm 90 Kg and 185 cm and live in Australia.

I've spent about 20 nights on my NeoAir in Australia. Most of that time was in the Aus winter and outside nighttime temps of about 5'C in a WM -7'C bag and a Marmot Hydrogen -1'C bag, OR Alpine Bivy and under a tarp. I wear merino thermals in to bed and sometimes socks. I've been through severe winds, frost and extreme rain.

In those conditions I found the -1'C bag fine however I was cool underneath and I woke up several times from the disturbance. Knowing I had an extended expedition coming up, I purchased the WM -7'C bag and had very comfortable nights sleep for 10 days of 5'C (or lower) nights.

NeoAir is very comfortable and extra lightweight, low bulk for those that want that (me!!). I liked it so much I am purchasing another one as the large is just too long for my bivy bag. Large is ideal for a tent.

Trying to save weight, I bought a Neo-Air about a…

Trying to save weight, I bought a Neo-Air about a year ago (it's the light version of this one). I've had two of them now and they both leaked.  Since Thermarest won't repair them, REI (the best company ever) gave me a Trekker.  After a few days of trying it out, I decided not to use it and thought I'd share my reasoning.

The second Neo-Air I had left me freezing one night  last month in Shenandoah National Park.  I've been backpacking for a long time and made a rookie mistake by not having supplemental ground protection as you should for any inflatable mattress.  Think what you want but they're just for comfort.  My belief is that if you have to carry additionally insulation anyway, why not save weight and stick with the Neo-Air instead of the additional weight of the Trekker.

The inflatable advocates will argue that they are reliable and all that. I agree to a point but here's the bottom line: All it takes is one leak on one winter night...that's it.  Carry the lightest inflatable and supplement it with a thin closed cell. Thanks, Frank

jchanman33

Not to be picky but for accuracy it is important that you rate the actual item you purcahased, this is the regular version not the thinner light so the leaks aren't really applicable here

If you've owned or used a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker, please share your experience.

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker