Therm-a-Rest NeoAir All Season

This pad has it all... comfort, warmth, durability.

Summary

This pad has it all... comfort, warmth, durability.

Pros

• comfort
  • warmth

Cons

• weight (but it's still pretty light)

I have used this pad for a few months now and it has been a great pad for me. It has the best of everything in one pad in my opinion. It's fairly light (but not ultra-light), it's very warm, comfortable and durable. It's worth the investment.

Here's my full video review of this pad:

Therm-a-Rest sleep systems include various combinations…

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps
Price Paid: samples provided by Therm-a-Rest for testing and review

Therm-a-Rest sleep systems include various combinations of insulation, pads, and pillows for different temperatures, climates, and activities. By combining different products, it's possible to tailor the (more or less) ideal sleep system for the activity of your choice.

I tested a Therm-a-Rest sleep system that combined the following products:

(Read the full Therm-a-Rest Sleep System Review.)

Sleep-System-from-above-.jpg

Therm-a-Rest sleep system.

The total sleep system is wonderfully flexible for different uses and is especially well suited to cooler weather. It's very comfortable, but I paid the price in weight and minor inconvenience.

At 3 pounds 6.3 ounces, the total system is heavier than my usual combination of a synthetic EMS Velocity 35 sleeping bag and a cut-in-half Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest closed-cell foam pad. Additionally, the NeoAir is a real challenge to inflate.

Best For - System

This Therm-a-Rest sleep system is best for camping and weekend backpacking trips in hot weather, and longer backpacking trips in colder weather. As the weather cools, or your tolerance for sleeping on hard surfaces decreases, the increased insulating capacity and comfort this pad supplies outweigh the minor penalties in weight and challenging setup.

Best For - Pad

The NeoAir All Season pad is best for backpacking in colder weather and camping in all seasons.

Pros

• luxuriously comfortable

• warm

• compact

• anti-slide straps work!

Cons

• NeoAir All Season pad is difficult to inflate

• system is a bit heavy

• Fitted Sheet is heavy and doesn't add warmth

• blanket snap system is clumsy

• blanket system makes snuggling difficult

Best For:

Setup

Setting up the Therm-a-Rest sleep system requires inflating the NeoAir All Season pad and affixing the Fitted Sheet and Alpine Down Blanket. I learned to shorten the setup by leaving the fitted sheet on the pad when storing it in my pack.

The NeoAir All Season pad is lung busting to inflate without a pump. I have massive lung capacity, but inflating the pad required 20 lung fulls, and often ended in me seeing stars and sitting down! If getting a little hypoxia bothers you, and you're willing to carry a few more ounces, I would recommend the forthcoming NeoAir Pump Sack. I'd probably still forgo the pump, to save weight;  that's just me though.

(For January 2012, Therm-a-Rest will offer a NeoAir Pump Sack, a stuff sack that lets you fill a NeoAir pad with two bags of air, and then converts into a camp seat, stuff sack, or pack liner. The new-for-fall 2011 NeoAir AirTap Pump Kit works similarly, using a plastic bag)

Affixing the sheet is a challenge, as the full length of the pad needs to be passed through a series of grippy, rubberized straps. A small, toughened port in the sheet allows the pad's inflation valve through, but isn't quite large enough.

Once the sheet is affixed, the down blanket attaches to small plastic snaps around the perimeter of the sheet. The snaps are small, and it was difficult to snap them securely with cold fingers. Further, vigorous movement can unsnap them easily.

NeoAir-Pad-showing-anti-slip-strips-and-
Bottom view of system, showing anti-slide straps and snaps.

Comfort/Warmth

This system is incredibly comfortable once setup. In a month of testing, including three nights camping, four nights backpacking, and two weeks of home/backyard use, I always slept soundly. The NeoAir All Season pad is thick enough (approximately 2.5 inches) to permit sleeping on my side, back, or stomach.

This pad was warm! Despite nights that dipped down to 36 degrees Fahrenheit, this system kept me warm. The pad itself, which has a 4.9 R-value, seemed to radiate heat. This may be an effect of the metallic foil of each of the pad's internal baffles reflecting my bodily heat back to me. (I'll update after I continue to test the NeoAir All Season this winter.)

The pad is approximately 79 inches long, which is a bit long for me (I'm 5' 8"). This didn't present serious problems, but in combination with the Alpine Down Blanket, it required me to position myself with my feet at the bottom of the pad, with approximately 11 inches of pad above my head. If this was a closed-cell foam pad, I would have rolled that excess to create a pillow, but when the NeoAir All Season is firmly inflated, it can't easily be doubled.

NeoAir-Pad-and-Fitted-Sheet-showing-anti
Sleep system, showing anti-slide pads.

Durability

Therm-a-Rest supplied me with an optional Universal Repair Kit (.6 oz / 16 g). Despite camping on rough surfaces (including gravel), the pad never punctured. I never used the repair kit, but it's similar to a bicycle tire repair kit, and I have no reason to think it wouldn't be effective.

Storage

The entire sleep system takes a bit longer to pack up then I like. After a cup of coffee, the system takes nearly three minutes to pack up.

Deflating the NeoAir All Season pad is a bit slow, and removing the Fitted Sheet is clumsy because of the rubberized straps on the bottom. To save time, I tried deflating the pad with the sheet on.  This is faster than removing it, but increases the bulk of the deflated system considerably. If you're short on time, try leaving the sheet on. If you're short on space, remove the sheet and pack it separately.

The NeoAir pad rolls up fairly small, and can even be fitted into a frame-less pack as a supplemental frame! The down blanket compacts easily, and lofts quickly after unpacking.

Summary

The combination of the NeoAir All Season Pad, Fitted Sheet, and Alpine Down Blanket makes for a versatile, warm, comfortable sleep system. As configured at 3 pounds 6.3 ounces, it's a bit heavy for my backpacking style, but for this small penalty in weight, you get a very flexible, comfortable system.

I'm going to continue to use this system together for my winter hikes and bike trips. Alone, the down blanket is slowly replacing my synthetic bag. I'm also going to be experimenting with using the down blanket as an "enhancer" in an attempt to create a deep winter sleep system in conjunction with a light synthetic bag.

I would recommend Therm-a-Rest's NeoAir All Season Pad, Fitted Sheet, and Alpine Down Blanket highly as a general purpose sleeping system for shorter trips. Together with a closed-cell pad, an all-season adventurer would need no additional pad. For ultra-light trips, a closed-cell foam pad would suffice. For more comfort, the NeoAir would be ideal. For deep winter trips, both pads could be combined for ultimate warmth.

Read the full Therm-a-Rest Sleep System Review.

Seth atop Maine's Deasey Mountain on the International Appalachian Trail, with hiking buddy Steve.

Testing Circumstances

I tested the NeoAir All Season pad for approximately 60 days in spring and summer. During this period, I tested the pad:

• While camping for three nights in northern Maine. The elevation was only slightly above sea level. Temperatures ranged from a low of approximately 36°F overnight, to a high of approximately 43°F overnight.
  • While on a four-day backpacking trip north of Maine's Baxter State Park. I traveled approximately 12 miles per day, bushwhacking and often fording rivers. Weather was cool, humid and rainy, with the last day warmer and sunnier. Nighttime temperatures went as low as approximately 46°F. Day time temperatures were between 56° and 70°F.
  • As my primary sleeping pad for 14 days in my home, on a hardwood floor.

Seth's pack on the International Appalachian Trail in Maine.

NeoAir All Season Pad
Claimed Weight: 14 oz / 410 g
Tested Weight: 1 lb 3.2 oz / 544 g
Note: I tested a 2011 prototype, with a slightly non-standard weight and size.

If you've owned or used a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir All Season, please share your experience.

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir All Season

currently retails for:
MSRP: $149.95

where to buy:

medium regular large Trailspace tested regular prototype
Weight 1 lb 2 oz / 510 g 1 lb 3 oz / 540 g 1 lb 9 oz / 710 g 1 lb 3.2 oz / 544 g
R-Value 4.9
Length 66 in / 168 cm 72 in / 183 cm 77 in / 196 cm -
Width 20 in / 51 cm 20 in / 51 cm 25 in / 63 cm -
Thickness 2.5 in / 6.3 cm 2.5 in / 6.3 cm 2.5 in / 63 cm -
Packed dimension 8 x 4.75 x 4.75 in / 20.3 x 12 x 12 cm 8 x 4.75 x 4.75 in / 20.3 x 12 x 12 cm 11 x 4.8 in / 28 x 12 cm -
Volume 3300 cu in 3600 cu in 4813 cu in -