LL Bean Mummy sleeping bag, 40, liteloft

5:01 p.m. on December 10, 2001 (EST)

I recently purchased an LL Bean mummy style sleeping bag, 40 degree on Ebay, to take backpacking on the Appellation Trail this spring. The picture showed this nice, thick fluffy bag with about 3 - 4 inches of fill. When I recieved the bag it was not the same bag as in the picture. No where near. This one was VERY thin and flimsy, I mean less than 1/4 - 1/2" thick. I'm concerned, of course. Has anyone taken a bag like this out on the trail? What was your experience? Maybe it is a preconcieved idea but I have this feeling the bag should at least be fluffy even if it is lite. Thanks

8:12 a.m. on December 11, 2001 (EST)

40 degrees is not a very cold temp; hence the minimal loft. If you were expecting a thick lofty bag, the temp rating would be closer to zero. I have a Sierra Design Varilite that is thicker on one side than the other. Suppose to be 15/30 degrees depending on the side that's up. Baloney....my experience rates the bag at 40/50 degrees. Thats quite a difference; which translates into the fact that I didn't get what I paid for. Period. I'd say, 1 inch bag should be good for temps down to the mid 40's though.

12:00 p.m. on December 12, 2001 (EST)

a.k.a. Willard

I had a LL Bean lite loft bag rated to -15. I returned it because I wa very disapointed with the quality of the loft-it just did not hold up. I now have a 40 degree Summit bag which uses some sort of polyester fill. This bag has very little loft, but does work down to 40 if you cinch up the mummy and use a hat.
If you are unhappy you could always try returning the bag to Bean's.

12:46 p.m. on December 17, 2001 (EST)

Liteloft was introduced almost 10 years ago. I think it was mfg'd by 3M. Most reputable sleeping bag companies will replace your liteloft bag for something comparable. Both Litelft and Microloft had problems in that the fibers lost their loft over time. If I recall, this was rather unexpected, and although there has been no recall, I have successfully returned 2 Liteloft bags - The last one in '95 for a down replacement.
(FTR, my 20d liteloft bags were always a little flat as well).
I have decided to stick with down - my '83 EMS -25d is still kicking butt. As well as 2 40d summer bags from 91-92 and several others I purchased through the mid 90's.

I would try a call to LL Bean. Although if you bought it from E-Bay, it may have been through a closeout marketer and then you may be OOL.
Good Luck
Rick

Quote:

I recently purchased an LL Bean mummy style sleeping bag, 40 degree on Ebay, to take backpacking on the Appellation Trail this spring. The picture showed this nice, thick fluffy bag with about 3 - 4 inches of fill. When I recieved the bag it was not the same bag as in the picture. No where near. This one was VERY thin and flimsy, I mean less than 1/4 - 1/2" thick. I'm concerned, of course. Has anyone taken a bag like this out on the trail? What was your experience? Maybe it is a preconcieved idea but I have this feeling the bag should at least be fluffy even if it is lite. Thanks

April 9, 2020
Quick Reply