Open main menu

Staying clean outdoors.

http://youtu.be/m9TxfhhefeA

I do the same thing as in this video but use a Camelbak 3 liter bladder and let it warm in the sun for a few hours before use, to get the water warm.

I don't use Camelbaks, so I usually bring a solar shower for longer trips.

Water from a lake or stream can be heated for a sponge type bath. I have bathed lots of times under a bridge with cars traveling past.

Water can be heated by the sun if it is in a large metal container painted black on the outside. I used to do this in the Grand Canyon with a large gallow juice can, I would leave it where the sun would hit it all day, go off on a day hike and come back to hot water.

Gary, when I click on your link, I see a video of hiking Half Dome, shot with a GoPro, not a sunshower or Camelbak. Unfortunately, your post has been up long enough that you can't correct it there. But you can post a follow-up with the correct URL, if you can find it again.

Lets try it again, I will check it after I post it this time.

http://youtu.be/m9TxfhhefeA 

Yeah, its the right one! A good looking woman does the explaination how to shower in the woods.

the first video isn't too bad either...I sponge bathe when I'm on trail. uses less water. 

In my motorcycle camping days I'd use a black garbage bag loosely filled with water and set on a rock in the sun. Out west that seemed to work pretty well.

Now that I've moved east I carry some unscented, unoiled (not baby wipes!) sanitary wipes. I spend a lot more time in the rain than sun now heh.  Those wipes do a great job of cleaning without using any water and carry pretty light on the way in and out.

I use my Camelbak for more uses than water to drink, I use it for a shower, as a pillow at night blown up with air, even with water in it and as a fire extinguisher. I like to try to make more than one use of things in my pack when I go as light as possible hiking and bike touring.

December 5, 2020
Quick Reply