AT and PCT Lecture

12:40 a.m. on September 24, 2015 (EDT)
ppine
73 reviewer rep
4,106 forum posts

Last night a local guy gave his presentation of hiking the AT in 2011 after he retired at age 63. It was motivational and showed the difficulties of the trail itself, but the ease of finding food and getting rides and place to stay. I used to hike the AT in Virginia back in the 1960s and 70s.

By contrast the PCT has better footing, better weather but more difficult access and higher elevations.

It turns out I knew the guy from about 8 years ago when we paddled the East Fork of the Carson River in a canoe. I had met him when he was the manager of the local fish hatchery run by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. He is a great guy and got me fired up about backpacking more. I encourage people to attend these kind of presentations as they can be enlightening.

10:39 a.m. on September 26, 2015 (EDT)
ppine
73 reviewer rep
4,106 forum posts

This group (TS) is better educated and more aware than most any forum I have found on the internet. I value the opinions around here. The above post must be like bringing coal to Newcastle.

1:26 p.m. on September 26, 2015 (EDT)
FlipNC
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,360 reviewer rep
1,606 forum posts

One of the things I like most about this activity, when not on the trail, is the fact that I keep learning new techniques from folks on Trailspace as there is no one way to do things. I bet these lectures have some good info as well.

May 24, 2020
Quick Reply