Something that creeped me out

5:48 a.m. on December 24, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,204 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

It had to have been winter of 94-95, I was stationed at a small Kaserne (post) just outside Idar-Oberstein, Germany, called Strassburg Kaserne. It was really a great place to be, my battalion was the only one there and all the higher-ups were about 20km away in the city of Baumholder so we didn't see much of the usual silliness you have when there are people with eagles and stars on their hats around. More importantly, once you left the post heading north you were in the woods. They were dotted here and there with small villages, but there was more than enough forest that you could hike for a weekend without seeing anyone else. Which a friend and I did quite a bit of! (He also played the bagpipes, I'd go to his room to get him for something and someone would say that Rex left with his pipes. He always headed to the woods to play at full volume, and I'd be able to hear & find him if he was within a mile or so.)

Anyway, on a pretty regular basis I'd throw my sleeping bag, foam pad, and a few other things in my rucksack, and hike out a few miles just to sleep outside. One cold night I found a sort of tunnel under the bottom tree branches just off the trail, so I pushed the pack in, unrolled the sleeping bag & pad, and crashed. Some time later I awoke - and by "awoke" I mean eyes opening so quickly your eyelids click and your whole body jerks. Not your normal awakening by any stretch of the imagination. I lay there listening with all my might, trying to hear any noise through the sleeping bag, closing my eyes so I'd hear better and willing my heart to stop beating so loudly. SOMEthing had woken me up but after what must have been at least a few minutes of listening I didn't hear or sense anything, so I just went back to sleep. The rest of the night was uneventful.

After waking up and eating breakfast I looked around for any evidence of something that might have woken me up, but without any idea of what to look for I probably wouldn't have known it if I'd seen it. Maybe I'll start googling for supernatural happenings in the area of the Idar-Oberstein Edelsteinminen ("noble stone" or geode mines.) 

May 22, 2019
Quick Reply