Help with stove?

9:21 a.m. on January 13, 2016 (EST)
Corey Lane
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I bought this stove at a garage sale for $1 but I cannot figure out how it connects to canisters. Even the original canister. I bought a Coleman canister and does not fit. Am I missing something?
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

9:45 a.m. on January 13, 2016 (EST)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

That stove must screw down to the canister making the hole it it. Thats a old style stove. I had one in the late 1970s. I dont know if there are canisters made for it anymore. 

10:17 a.m. on January 13, 2016 (EST)
Corey Lane
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Shucks maybe I can find a adapter only if I knew what to search for

10:30 a.m. on January 13, 2016 (EST)
Corey Lane
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I actually found it they are called bleuet stoves

10:57 a.m. on January 13, 2016 (EST)
Bill S
REVIEW CORPS
4,537 reviewer rep
6,037 forum posts

The Camping Gaz "Bleuet" stoves are a puncture-type attachment. They used to be very popular, until it was realized that they have a strong tendency to leak and potentially ignite. Camping Gaz was a French company that was taken over by Coleman, which is now part of Johnson Outdoors. They discontinued the canisters because of the risks. There used to be some SE Asian sources and a couple of Slovenian companies making them. But, again because of the risks, those cannot be imported to the US or Canada.

The rubber gasket (which you can see in your photos) hardens and cracks with age, which allows the gas leakage, which allows ignition and/or leakage of the very cold gas onto your hands.

I have seen several accidents involving this type of stove, a couple actually exploding with shrapnel and several where someone detached a canister containing fuel and got frostbite from the expanding, extremely cold gas that sprayed onto his hands.

I suggest you just display it as an "ancient artifact". By law, disposing of the canisters in most of the US has to be done at an authorized "Hazardous Waste Disposal Site".

11:04 a.m. on January 13, 2016 (EST)
andrew f. @leadbelly2550
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,700 reviewer rep
2,357 forum posts

it's not easy to tell from your photos.  

the blue color reminds me of old butane stoves.  the ones that used a 'piercable' cartridge had metal pieces that would swing down and lock the gas can to the burner, and a sharp point in the center of that rubber seal in your photo would punch into the canister.  take a look at the photo below.

Stoves.jpg

the company, or some evolution of it, is still around:  https://www.campingaz.com/p-26478-bleuet-206-plus.aspx  however, it's not clear that they still sell the piercable stoves any more.  also,  i'm not sure if you can still buy the smooth-top piercable cartridges in the US - i checked amazon, and they only sell them outside the US.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-C206-Pierceable-Cartridge-Pack/dp/B00MBNHXHM

Bill's post popped in ahead of mine. i agree with him 100%.  

10:30 p.m. on January 13, 2016 (EST)
Robert Perrin
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

The gas went out last month in LA and I needed a coffee badly.

So I took out my old Camping Gaz stove.  I bought the stove in about 1971 and had not used it since then.  The gas canister had never been removed.

It lit immediately.  No leak and no explosion.  took a minute or two to boil water and voila, I had my coffee.  And a big smile thinking about the last time I used the stove in the Serengeti in 1971.

So the next time the gas goes out on my stove, I will light my old dependable Camping Gaz stove once more.

11:05 p.m. on January 13, 2016 (EST)
James Close
24 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have a Camping Gaz lantern that I bought circa 1984; I actually used to bring this with me when backpacking, but haven't used it in years.  There is still a canister attached, I think, and I also have a full, un-pierced canister.    I think I'll take this out backpacking again sometime; the last time was on the A-T in Vermont in the year 2000.    

I might light it out side my tent :)

3:43 a.m. on January 14, 2016 (EST)
heathcote
393 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

As Bill S said this is an old Bluet style stove. Ditch it or archive it DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE IT! 

My last one caught fire while bivied on a ledge in Romsdal Norway, it was tossed off smartly and exploded a short distance below in mid air. I might add that the brew was completed with the ever reliable Svea 123 mini petroleum stove.

4:01 a.m. on January 14, 2016 (EST)
John Jones @John Jones 2
6 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello Corey.. I have over 70 stoves and have  a few like this , but packed away?.. My memories are that these had two sprung clips that came over the outside of the top which held the gas cannister tight to itself.. then the burning top would be screwed down.(here is where the dangerous bit happened.). My advise? get rid and buy a modern option. Not worth the risk of rssurection and not a very collectable of valuaed item.. There are some damn good ligtweight mountain stoves out there.regards John

9:09 a.m. on January 14, 2016 (EST)
Charles LaPiene
19 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I had one of these when they first appeared.  Found out too late on a hike, the BUTANE does not work in cold weather! 

10:18 a.m. on January 14, 2016 (EST)
Seth Levy @Seth
NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

I have three or four of this type of stove. Given that one can't remove the cartridge while there is any gas in it, and the tendency to leak, I don't use them any more. But - they have a huge sentimental value, so I keep then in the "gear closet."

9:51 p.m. on January 15, 2016 (EST)
FlipNC
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,360 reviewer rep
1,607 forum posts

Just catching up...had a Blurt but it's last functioning trip we had to launch it into the lake in the Boundary Waters. We fished it back out so hope the water quality didn't suffer...

12:12 p.m. on January 21, 2016 (EST)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

https://youtu.be/Q0wGQ4ctkk4 In this video, see minute 5:30 to see the stove in use and how the parts go together.

May 25, 2020
Quick Reply