Road Music?

7:42 a.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

I am not one that carries electronics or listens to music in the backcountry, but like to select something that fits my mood for the trip to the trailhead. Usually, I listen until getting onto the back roads, then I transition to silence and my thoughts with the windows rolled down if the weather is good. This is for solo hiking, which I do most often. Last trip it was folk rock...Lumineers etc. Not sure about the next one. In the trip home I usually ride in the silence I am used to by then.

What do you listen to or do on the road to and from a trip?

9:14 a.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
202 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

I really enjoy the music of Patrick O'Hearn. It's very calming new age music with no lyrics. I have a hard time getting my brain to slow down and stop thinking (and worrying) about a million things at once and his music helps get me calmed down so I can enjoy my trip. In particular, I enjoy it while driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway and other scenic mountian roads in western NC and east TN.

Oddly enough, sometimes AC/DC, Van Halen and RUSH do the same trick for me......go figure!  LOL

10:03 a.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

You and I must be similar age...I was playing Rush two trips ago...Red Barchetta really went well with the drive...

10:25 a.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,912 forum posts

Classic Rock or Grundge...Last time was Nirvana...I don't listen to music while I hike..I like to be with one in my surroundings...

1:58 p.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
4,999 reviewer rep
580 forum posts

Whatever song I listen to last, I usually have stuck in my head on repeat for the first day or two of any hike. That's really annoying if the song was a bad one. Therefore, I try not to listen to much music on my way to the trailhead. 

However, if there was any album that I'd want to listen to as a way to prepare for a hike it would be Eddie Vedder's album from Into the Wild. No, I'm not pretending to be Chris McCandless. I just like the album. 

2:16 p.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

In the outdoors I like outdoors music about mountains, deserts, horses and cattle. Music like Ian Tyson and Mike Beck. It is relaxing and exciting at the same time. Definitely not country, but western music.  Just returned from Elko listening to 3 days of the best live music anywhere at the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering.

2:23 p.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
7,883 reviewer rep
1,416 forum posts

No music player on the scoot or in my pack, but I've been known to belt out a tune in the saddle and on trail. Springsteen, usually stuff from Darkness, seems to come up on the bike most often while Danny Boy is my go to for giving the bears a heads up I'm coming when on trail, followed by stuff from Nebraska and The River if things seem especially beary. That stuff depresses the heck out of the bears as they tend to be fans of the earlier, Asbury Park sound, so they tend to go the other way.

3:17 p.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
273 forum posts

On the way to trailhead---NPR with car talk, wait wait and this american life as its being broadcast on my drive there...

on way home----grateful dead..

5:05 p.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,979 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

Sometimes I hike with music. I like to have certain music for really difficult sections. 

I keep an ipod shuffle with me, which is tiny and perfect for taking along. 

I have an eclectic mix of stuff on there from Bill Withers, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, to Wagner.

7:22 p.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I like the Goat Rodeo Sessions,U2,Sting, Colin Hay,Peter Gabriel,alot of county artists too many to list and alot of 70s and 80s music and reggae, O.A.R, Virginia Collation, Okay I listen to alot it probably would be easier to say what I don't listen to..lol.

8:18 p.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
202 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

FlipNC said:

You and I must be similar age...I was playing Rush two trips ago...Red Barchetta really went well with the drive...

Phil, I just turned 50 in January, 2016. RUSH was the first rock concert I ever went to. It was on the Grace Under Pressure Tour in November, 1984 at the Atlanta show. I was so impressed. Total professionals to say the least. I saw them live again on Power Windows in 1985, Presto in 1990 and the most recent show was Clockwork Angels in 2012.  A solid 3 hour show and no BS between songs, just rockin' the entire time!

10:19 p.m. on February 7, 2016 (EST)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Wow. I moved to Atlanta in 78 and was at the 84 Grace Under Pressure show! I was 16 so a couple of years behind you. My best buddy (a bass player) got some great seats for us to watch Getty Lee. Small world...

1:54 a.m. on February 8, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Phil I'm gonna make ya feel old. I was born in 78...lol.

10:39 a.m. on February 8, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

keveinumberger, 

I like your thoughts about the Dead. I listen to them several days a week.  They are more than a band, a mental health plan.  They are especially good on solo trips or when out fishing in a boat.  We are everywhere.

10:44 p.m. on February 9, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

oh..I gotta add The Casey Donadhew Band .

12:18 a.m. on February 10, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

Reckless Kelly in the saw vein, Turnpike Trubadors

Jason Isbel

1:40 p.m. on February 10, 2016 (EST)
1,967 reviewer rep
355 forum posts

Allman Brothers...

6:11 p.m. on February 10, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

so how many of us who aren't familiar with some of these bands have actually gave them a listen too?

8:16 a.m. on February 21, 2016 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,912 forum posts

I did a 10 mile hike with friends...We were rockin to the trialhead with the Eagles...

10:25 a.m. on February 21, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

Old and in the Way is perfect. 

I like the West Coast bluegrass music in the bush, like Leftover Salmon, Tampled by Turtles, Green Sky Blue Grass. String Cheese Incident

8:06 p.m. on February 21, 2016 (EST)
89 reviewer rep
79 forum posts

R.E.M " End of the world", Phish, or any blue grass...Then I listen to the sounds of nature as I walk.

1:51 p.m. on February 24, 2016 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

Hey ppine, you have a good taste in music! I love all those guys!

I second ppine's answer with the addition of The Steeldrivers, The Infamous Stringdusters, The Allman Brothers, and occasionally Yonder Mountain String Band.

8:07 p.m. on February 24, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I noticed ppine and I have similar taste in music too. ppine I 2nd the good taste remark Ashleigh made. I guess by that statement Ashleigh you have good taste too!

6:27 a.m. on February 25, 2016 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

Thanks, Clayton. 

10:06 a.m. on February 25, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

Last night I drove into town to give a presentaion on "Natural Design in the Landscape." On the way in I listened to "Thunder on the Plains", powow music from the Crow, Blackfoot and Lakota. It is the really intense warrior music. The sun was just going over the snow covered Sierra. I stopped to watch 4 newborn calves playing by the side of the road. I was mentally ready to teach people by the time I got to the town hall.

9:29 a.m. on March 10, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

Modern country music comes from Nashville and is kind of redundant but okay.

I much prefer alt country like Robert Earl Keen, Lucinda Williams, Jason Isbel, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earl, Tom Russell, and bands from Austin, Texas.

4:47 p.m. on March 10, 2016 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,619 reviewer rep
1,644 forum posts

It depends on what I need.

For leisurely strolls through alpine meadows I don't listen to music. 

For times I need a little help its: FOB, X Ambassadors, One Direction, The Offspring, all things Ice Cube, Skillet, Cypress Hill, Fort Minor, ACDC, N.E.R.D., NWA (there is no political correctness above 6,000 feet).  I need energy (and a little bit of anger) to help drive me up the mountain. 

The beat and the decibels have to be higher and faster than my pounding heart. 

7:39 p.m. on March 10, 2016 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,912 forum posts

Ppine that one of the things I miss about Texas is Texas Country..Going to the Broken Spoke...

11:19 p.m. on March 10, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

The Broken Spoke, Continental Club, Liberty Lunch, Hammerdown Cowboy Bar, and Greune Hall and about 100 other places.  My brother lived in Austin for 20 years. I married a girl from UT and my niece just graduated from there.

Road music is one thing. I would never listen to music in the backcountry. I would much rather listen to the symphony of geese, Sandhill cranes, bugling elk, and ravens.  You can not have situational awareness with headphones on. Besides Nature is my religion and it would sacrilegious not to listen to Nature when I am out there. 

1:26 a.m. on March 11, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

yeah no music while I hike, I like to hear a rattler before I'm bit ...lol. 

2:42 p.m. on March 20, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

+1 on The Steeldrivers.

I like Chris Knight. He is paying right now a Robert Earl Keene song. "Undone" Perfect.

11:23 p.m. on March 20, 2016 (EDT)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

John Mellencamp, Stick Figure, old Arrowsmith, I think I could go on for hours . Maren  Morris's  My Church has been getting alot of playtime here and Stick Figure's  Livin it is another one and Shooter Jennings and Eric Church's  smoke a lititle smoke,and of course  Journey's  Don't stop believing...lol. I love country I can't wait till summer to hit the concerts and tailgate. I couldn't even name all the country artists I like.

11:25 a.m. on March 22, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

@Jeff,

I don't listen to music while hiking all the time, but sometimes it can be beneficial. I usually listen to the Beastie Boys or Red Hot Chili Peppers when I need to make a summit push. Sometimes a specifically epic hike calls for a specifically epic song, too. When I climbed/hiked the Half Dome cables, I listened to "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons...it seemed fitting at the time.

4:11 p.m. on March 22, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,619 reviewer rep
1,644 forum posts

Ashleigh I think Radioactive and Sabotage would be great summit songs.  I'm adding them to my play list today.

3:13 a.m. on March 23, 2016 (EDT)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

if I go hard I go for .....Clutch or Rob/White Zombie 

5:25 p.m. on March 23, 2016 (EDT)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

I still won't carry music on the trail, or anything needing a charge beyond a flashlight, but you all have given me several new suggestions to consider on the trip to and maybe from the backcountry.

I already added the Steeldrivers to my playlist. I'll throw a couple of others out there...Old Crow Medicine Show and a local favorite...Chatham County Line (maybe not in the same class, but music always seems better when you know the folks playing it).

6:23 a.m. on March 24, 2016 (EDT)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Old Crow Medicine Show is a good call  Phil ! The Cheaters Evan Williams song (not to be confused with the older band the cheaters...lol). Black Crows, CCR, Steve Miller Band, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Parliament, George Clinton bedquin sound clash.

9:18 a.m. on March 24, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

Bob Marley. Now we are getting somewhere.  He always liked a BMW.

2:04 p.m. on March 24, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
587 forum posts

We've become big fans of books on tape from the "Great Courses" company.  Every thing from the Journals of Lewis and Clark (think you've seen mosquitoes?) to the history of ancient cities, America before the Europeans, the Victorian Age...so much to learn and enjoy.

10:04 a.m. on March 30, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

Tapes are fine, but in the outdoors I am too focused on the forest, the desert, the landforms and the wildlife sightings to focus on the spoken word.  Music can add a lot to outdoor adventures.  It calms me down and gets me fired up depending on what is playing.  Playing Dead can bring tears of joy at any time.

1:38 a.m. on March 31, 2016 (EDT)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

ppine I'm with you I'll listen to music in the truck or maybe at the campsite with speakers but not while I hike I wanna hear everything like the rattle before the rattler bites me ect..lol. I think I stated that before but it's nice to hear what's going on around you.Nature has its own sound track and I dig it.

2:08 a.m. on March 31, 2016 (EDT)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Ram Jam, Alabama, Skynyrd,Florida Georgia line,moonshine bandits,Kenny Chesney,Zac Brown,Eric Church,The Gourds (gin and juice),Jimmy Cliff,Tom Petty,Kip Moore,Crystal Fighter's,Blake Shelton.

10:24 a.m. on April 3, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

Listening to the Byrds on Pandora this am after watching part of "Easy Rider."  It puts me back on the road in a 1965 VW bus meeting great people everyday and living the life of a vagabond.  This is a great country.  Everyone needs a road trip.

2:01 a.m. on April 4, 2016 (EDT)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

ppine....I love Billys bike in that movie.

11:03 a.m. on April 4, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

I agree with you.  Sometimes I want to just wake up and go buy an Indian Chief.

10:21 p.m. on May 6, 2016 (EDT)
248 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

Every trip I listen to "One Prairie Outpost" by Carbon Leaf.  I recommend you make a trip over to youtube and give it a listen. The melody makes me happy, the lyrics make me nostalgic.

9:14 a.m. on May 7, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

We just had our local cowboy festival for the 7th year.  On Saturday night we had Mike Beck and Ian Tyson in a big tent.  Ian is the most famous musician to come out of Canada. He is known for tunes like "Four Strong Winds" and "Someday Soon."  Everyone sang the words to nearly every song. Ian is in his early 80s and is just recovering from heart surgery. We got to see greatness maybe for the last time. It filled up my cup much like seeing the Dead for 3 nights in a row.

March 18, 2019
Quick Reply