Inspiration

12:39 a.m. on May 3, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
607 forum posts

Here are some of our favorite quotes about travel--which apply to hiking as well:

“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.”  from Ibn Battuta, the remarkable Arab who toured the known world 1200 years ago.

“We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” – Anonymous

The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” – A great line that explains why large groups always travel slower, by Henry David Thoreau, who supposedly was roughing at Walden Pond.  But his sister brought him fresh baked cookies every day...

“Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” – Seneca

“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien.  And we've wandered many times, on our trips.

“It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville--which is just the excuse you need to get off-trail and explore a little bit.

And an all-time favorite from Mark Twain: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

1:49 a.m. on May 3, 2016 (EDT)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I've always loved  the J.R.R. Tolkien quote.

6:17 a.m. on May 3, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,554 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

The Tolkien and Twain quotes are two of my favorites as well.

Not to digress, but I can't help it...I have always had a problem with the attention Thoreau got for Walden. As you say, he lived a mile outside town and acted like he was in the wilderness. Much overhype on that one although many good quotes and paragraphs. I may get into trouble for saying this, but I feel the book is more revered than actually read by most. Thoreau seemed to be a narcissist and greatly exaggerated his life at the edge of town, at least that was my impression reading it a couple of times. I am glad it has inspired wilderness preservation and many other efforts over the years, but I always felt like 99% of folks inspired by it would be less so if they actually read it through completely. Just my thoughts and impressions.

9:18 a.m. on May 3, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,695 forum posts

Thanks for the thoughts.  Travel makes us better humans.

I listened to McAvoy Lane portray Mark Twain this weekend at our local Cowboy Festival.  Twain lived in Carson City and Virginia City right down the road from here. McAvoy has been at it for 35 years and is really good at portraying the writer and humorist.

10:12 p.m. on May 6, 2016 (EDT)
248 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

there's also that phrase that irks and inspires:

"wherever you go, there you are"

1:16 a.m. on May 7, 2016 (EDT)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I probably have this wrong

life moves fast if you don't stop and look around it may pass you by.

Ferris Buller 

I haven't seen the movie in awhile.

11:18 a.m. on May 8, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,695 forum posts

Travelling helps make us who we are.

The best way to have some perspective about your own life, is to live someone else's for awhile.

3:20 p.m. on May 13, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,387 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Bilbo also said of traveling: “We are plain quiet folk, and I have no use for adventures. Nasty, disturbing, and uncomfortable things.” But I guess he came around in the end :)

5:30 p.m. on June 23, 2016 (EDT)
648 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

I like John Muir quotes too. My son went on a service and study tour in high school in January to Mount Rainier,Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon. Each student on the trip had to do a presentation on a famous person in relation to the National Park System and he picked John Muir. I helped him prepare for his presentation and some of the quotes where really cool. 

Of course we all know the most used quotes like "the mountains are calling and I must go" and "climb the mountains and get their good tidings"

This is my favorite! 

Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.  
Our National Parks, (1901), chapter 1, page 1.

7:19 p.m. on June 23, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,695 forum posts

I heard a portrayal of John Muir last year at our local Chautauqua Festival. He has inspired a lot of us to pursue outdoor careers.

8:59 p.m. on June 23, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,554 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

I have always felt a strong bond with Muir, being another Scottish American transplant at about the same age of 10, and fiercely proud of both my countries. The definition of an inspiration to me.

3:15 a.m. on June 24, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,439 reviewer rep
1,056 forum posts

"You can travel anywhere in any land

But you've got to live there to understand

Instead of just passing through

Drink the local beer"

-- from "Blue Mountains" by Cormac McCarthy (the NH singer-songwriter, not the novelist, although the latter should be good for a few rich quotes too...)

1:57 p.m. on July 21, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,695 forum posts

Inspiration comes from following in the footsteps of explorers and deep thinkers.  It comes from intense beauty and natural wonders.  I am especailly inspired by how spiritual my life in the outdoors has been.  Places like Canyon de Chelley, Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde really started the process. Working with archaeologists and learning to think like an aboriginal person were important steps.  So is traveling with Native Americans.  Nature is my religion now and it is very comforting. I find Divinity not only in the water, the forest, and the animals, but also in the rocks, the wind, and the soil.  

Sometimes it is best to go alone, go quietly, and contemplate your own existence.

11:24 p.m. on July 21, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,695 forum posts

Too many people see the world through the writings of others and movies.  It is like looking at the world through a lense.  See the world as it is by your own experience with your own eyes.

1:35 p.m. on July 24, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,695 forum posts

This seems to be a point of divergence.  Inspiration is fine from books and movies, but it is all second hand.  It affected me a lot when I was young. Now I would much rather just go see it.  Does anyone agree with this?  This is important.

1:44 a.m. on July 25, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
607 forum posts

I don't think you have to choose one or the other.  I look at the writings of others as an additional commentary to my journey through life.  Sometimes they see things differently, or see different things, than I do.  That extra perception adds richness.

9:54 a.m. on July 25, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,695 forum posts

Those are good words blazaccom.  I like the sentiment.

Way too many people have an arm's length relationship with the outdoors, and live vicariously through others.

April 24, 2019
Quick Reply