Where can I purchase a all in one bundle

8:17 a.m. on May 21, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am interested in purchasing a bundle , so like a one time buy of every essential thing I would need ... I can't seem to find anything of the sort online. Could be wording it wrong ?!?! Looking for any ideas where to find such a thing. 

I plan on backpacking / hitchhiking a cross Canada , and have friends and family along the way ... Just the odd time I'd be camping by myself.

9:25 a.m. on May 21, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Although there is a general list of ten essentials, which was recently discussed if you search this forum, I think the problem with your search is that there is a wider range of ideas as to what would comprise an "all in one" kit. That is what makes backpacking such a great pastime. You could search for a basic gear list but most folks will put together a kit based on trial and error over time. Search the forum here for beginner and ten essentials to start, but I think you are looking for an easy solution to a more complicated question.

9:28 a.m. on May 21, 2016 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

Not sure that you can, if I understand what you are asking - you want to make a one time purchase of every essential for an extended road trip involving significant backpacking.  I am not sure that is a very good idea.

You can get a whole lot of what you will need at a large outdoor store - my favorite is REI, but there are others.  What are your individual requirement for weight, size (large tent or small?), preference in stoves and cooking gear, sleeping gear, etc.....

Actually,working out and acquiring the right stuff is fun, albeit challenging.  It can go on for years.  That's all right.

10:21 p.m. on May 21, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

First thing (and it would make it easier to give you advice) is to sit down and write a schedule of what you want to do on this trek:

1. Travel - you mentioned you are hitchhiking and some backpacking. Note down your planned route, how much is backpacking, and how much is hitching. Are you following roads/highways, or do you have trails picked out?

2. stops - you mention friends and family along the way - do you plan (and is it practical) to spend every night with friends and/or family? Or how much of the trip will be camping? Will you use official campgrounds or are you playing "homeless hobo" (I definitely do not recommend this approach)

3. How much experience camping do you have? Will you be going "Ultralight", maybe just using a tarp for shelter? What season - is this going to be during winter, where you will likely need a 4-season tent), or are you timing things to be late spring through early fall, so not too cold? The sleeping bag you choose will be very dependent on the time of year and weather.

4. as hikermore asked - what are your plans for meals - stove, cook gear, stop at restaurants/fast food, eat only at friends and family's places?

4:21 a.m. on May 22, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

the only bundle I can think of is the ENO. hammock bundle. It come with hammock. rain fly,and bugnet, and straps, that's the only set I can think of.

8:10 a.m. on May 22, 2016 (EDT)
2,017 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

Hyperlite Mountain Gear now sells "kits" that consist of a lightweight or ultralight shelter and backpack for a discount. Certainly not a kit of everything you need but it's a start.

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/kits.html

12:56 p.m. on May 24, 2016 (EDT)
609 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

JRinGeorgia said it. Hyperlite Mountain Gear are the best kits that I have seen so far. Although here are some things I would add. Unless you have done some ultra light camping, including using your poles to set up your tent and keeping your food and clothing at a minimum, these are not for everyone. They are amazingly fantastic gear but not for EVERYONE. Now its important to note as well, these kits are going to provide you your main pieces of gear. Shelter, pack, and sleep system (sleeping bag only really). You will generally need poles to erect it, a pad to put under it and not to mention all of your other essentials. You will still need to fine tune a food plan, medical kit, personal hygiene etc. Unfortuantely I have to find a kit that literally gives you everything. However covering your main three components is a good start. Just be prepared to invest a couple of bucks. 

3:54 a.m. on May 25, 2016 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,416 forum posts

The answer to the OP's question: there isn't a complete-everything-you-need-to-camp "kit".  To a newbie this may seem an obvious product to sell, but in the real world there would be many variations of this "kit", predicated by the geography the camper is traveling, the duration, season, not to mention, sex, styling and ergonomic differences. 

But to obtain the same effect consider visiting your local sporting goods merchant, sharing your outdoor intentions, and they will steer you towards what fits your activities.  You can usually get most of your stuff from one or two primary retailers.  But refrain from any major purchases on this first visit.  In fact consider visiting the competition to see what other options you have.  In any case  take notes from these initial shopping explorations, look up stuff that will help you shop smart (i.e. the ability to identify good craftsmanship and design).

Also consider joining group activities intended to introduce new campers to the outdoors.  Much can be learn there.

Ed

10:50 a.m. on May 25, 2016 (EDT)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

There is no real "one-size-fits-all" approach to camping/hiking. A lot of it has to do with preference, body shape, hiking style, etc. I recommend you do your homework, talk to experienced hikers, borrow & test gear. You don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment you won't use. 

10:55 a.m. on May 25, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

The equivalent of REI and EMS in Canada (more or less) is MEC (Mountain Equipment Canada). Their website is http://www.mec.ca/shop/hiking-and-backpacking/50131/. 

I have visited a couple of their shops when in Canada and found the staff pretty knowledgeable.

7:42 a.m. on May 26, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thank you everyone for your input , much appreciated ! 

November 14, 2019
Quick Reply