Roxanne Qumiby's family donate's 87,000 acres to Feds In maine..

10:32 a.m. on August 24, 2016 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,934 forum posts
6:26 p.m. on August 24, 2016 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
449 forum posts

Just guessing -could the designation come tomorrow, on the 100th anniversary of the NPS???

6:44 p.m. on August 24, 2016 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,934 forum posts

He actually did  it today...I posted this before Seth posted about the signing on Social Media,...I want to see this next year...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/25/us/obama-maine-katahdin-woods-and-waters.html

https://youtu.be/0FSovx0vxLg

8:22 p.m. on August 24, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,823 forum posts

This is big for the State of Maine.  They have all of that private forest land in the northern half of the State.  It will help to have a NM.

8:33 p.m. on August 24, 2016 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
449 forum posts

Now if only Congress will provide an adequate budget......

9:33 p.m. on August 24, 2016 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,934 forum posts

hikermor said:

Now if only Congress will provide an adequate budget......

I think she and the family provided a trust I believe for Maintenance...I know the land was 100 miliion is what it cost her...

8:02 a.m. on August 25, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,018 reviewer rep
1,448 forum posts

Last I heard they put up $20M as an endowment to start with intention to add another $20M in the future. The government officially opened the park as soon as the announcement was made, though they warn that there are no real services available in the park yet.

The real jewel of this area is the part to the west of the East Branch where the new monument abuts Baxter State Park. Hopefully that remains as a more wild section even if they start to build improvements on the other side of the river. It is a shame she didn't give that side to BSP, but there was a lot of bad blood there after the IAT fiasco.

3:00 p.m. on August 25, 2016 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,934 forum posts

LS I was hoping you would post..LOL Thank you.That's the part I couldn't get any word about...One friend was against the NP idea and Monument...So I got their side of the debate...Like I  told Seth yesterday..I see this is a great oppertunity for Maine and outdoor persons..Shennendoah doesn't have one grand thing to point to and it's a National Park..So why not...I am coming up to Maine in July Next year to Baxter and will  check the Monument out as well..I have 4 that want to go...So road trip...

July 15, 2019
Quick Reply