Trail time soothes all ills. Even losing a presidential election.

2:41 p.m. on November 12, 2016 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,384 forum posts

Go to the mountains and get their good tidings and cares will fall away like the leaves of Autumn.

Backpacker Magazine

safe_image.php?d=AQBXdrIRG_-E8su8&w=476&Hillary Clinton Spotted on Hiking Trail 

A woman 'heartbroken' by the election ran into former presidential nominee Hillary Clinton hiking on a trail in upstate New York.BACKPACKER.COM

2:55 p.m. on November 12, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,976 forum posts

It is going to take a lot of trails.

4:54 p.m. on November 12, 2016 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,423 forum posts

No point wandering around the woods when confronting political realities - even out there no stone is large enough to crawl under and make it go away.

Ed

6:23 a.m. on November 13, 2016 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,948 forum posts

Did you read the comments on FB and has been reported she knows her..Hmm smell a rat..LOL

9:33 a.m. on November 13, 2016 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Nature heals in presidential elections.

In the 1964 race, Johnson vs Goldwater, I was working at Wupatki-Sunset Crater National Monuments, just outside Flagstaff, AZ.  The weekend after the election I went to town and observed a couple using an informal picnic area just off the road, a location that was all too often trashed by its users.  I stopped at Sunset Crater and informed the ranger on duty of the situation, suggesting that he make contact with the picnickers if he had time.  I did not make the contact myself since I was out of uniform and trying to advise in such a situation usually does not go well.

I have always regretted not talking to the party myself, because the ranger told me that the group was Sen. Goldwater and his family, relaxing in the pines of northern Arizona after the campaign.

10:39 a.m. on November 13, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,976 forum posts

Hikermor, 

Just came back from Wupatki NM. I spent a day there with my friend that I used to work with at Black Mesa. He grew up on Hopi and knows the Puebloan Cultures. We looked at some unrestored sites outside the NM.  I miss no AZ.

11:56 p.m. on November 13, 2016 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

I do as well.  Real good country...

9:46 a.m. on November 14, 2016 (EST)
NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

In my former role as a policy manager at American Hiking Society, I was consistently amazed by the ability of a good hike to unite people of different perspectives - religious, political, economic and more. My most memorable hike? Taking chiefs of staff from the offices of the then Majority and Minority Leader's offices on a hike. We talked about the value of the outdoor experience, had a gargantuan lunch, and later passed a massive, bipartisan piece of legislation that protected a lot of great hiking trails.

A few days ago, on Facebook, Denis said:

I think The Goverment needs to hike more. Hikers and outdoor people learn to work together to get things done..Would be nice...

I couldn't agree more!

8:35 p.m. on November 14, 2016 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,423 forum posts

Hiking and other R&R activities can bring REASONABLE people together, but not zealots, doctrinaires or those with strong beliefs based on ignorance.  I love to debate politics, religion, etc, but found one has to watch their words when out with people who are intolerant, possess a questionable grip on reality (e.g. conspiracy theorists) or those who "facts" are total nonsense (Elvis lives!).  I am sure all of you who think camping bridges the gap first test the disposition of your fellow conversationalist with some exploratory questions before you jump into the thick of it.  We all know the types of personalities listed above will never understand our POV, let alone change their minds, and that debating these types inevitably leads to a cold impasse and hard feelings that taint the remainder of the trip.  If my preliminary explorations indicate such discussion will end poorly, I'll change the subject before it gets a chance to heat up.

It can be fun and often enlightening to argue with people whom we disagree, but frustrating and irritating to argue with disagreeable people.  At some point they always seem to cross the line and get disrespectable.  I remember one particularly disagreeable individual who wouldn't relent, using any innuendo to resurrect his pet peeve topic, and launch into us with his vile nonsense.  I guess some folks consider their fellow campers a captive audience.  My reaction was engaging some nearby inanimate object in a satirical dialog, similar to Tom Hanks arguing with Wilson the volley ball.  The wise guy would carp "are you talking to me?" and I would tell him I am having a private conversation, it was none of his business; meanwhile ripping whatever the nut job opinion he was trying to pound into my thick skull.  Each time he attempted to engage us thusly, I would up the level of satire in my imaginary debate with Sr. Stone and Mr. Dirtclod.  I had a seat pad for my bear canister made from blue foam that had some marks resembling a face - I eventually pulled out my sharpie and named the pad Captain Spalding, and doing my best impression of Groucho Marx made veiled threats that I was going to get Mr. Wilson to deal with him.  The dynamic was entertaining to the rest of our group, and Mr. Righteous eventually decided he wasn't interested in being the straight guy in my comedy routine.

Ed

9:30 a.m. on November 15, 2016 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,948 forum posts

Seth I still believe that..Leave the Party business at the door and immerse yourself in Nature together...If they left my party, your party thing and just enjoyed the company and spoke as two hikers more could be done for our nation instead of a fight..We see the struggle we both have while hiking and get the buzz from hiking..I was just referring to the comments on that thread on FB.. But I hope the politicians come together and more things are bipartisan,,,

9:56 a.m. on November 15, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,976 forum posts

Hiking takes energy which reduces tension.

Hiking is familiar and safe which reduces anxiety.

Hiking takes us away from electronic media.

Hiking allows for some bonding and teamwork.

Hiking is good for you.

11:56 a.m. on November 16, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,976 forum posts

We are considering moving to Canada.

1:44 p.m. on November 16, 2016 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,827 reviewer rep
1,682 forum posts

Sometimes we like the president, sometimes we don't. 

The 25% that always vote one way (like me) and the 25% that always vote the other way can't be changed and the other 50% who thought Bush was a great idea for eight years then totally changed their minds and thought Obama was the way for the next eight years and now think Trump is the man can't be possibly understood so what else can you do but go outside a lot, keep voting and wait for the tide to change again?

I have friends I love dearly and disagree with politically

3:16 p.m. on November 16, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,976 forum posts

The America that I have known is likely to change forever. I do not think that is an exaggeration.

6:50 p.m. on November 16, 2016 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,948 forum posts

I'll be happy if the household conversation become term limits...Besides that nothing has changed...Served under 3 and I am not worrying about it..I have to get up everyday and go to work....

7:11 a.m. on November 19, 2016 (EST)
260 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

America has been changing rapidly since the end of WW2.

6:58 a.m. on November 20, 2016 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,423 forum posts

ppine said:

The America that I have known is likely to change forever. I do not think that is an exaggeration.

"The future ain't what it used to be."

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

- Yogi Berra.

Ed

8:57 a.m. on November 21, 2016 (EST)
141 reviewer rep
81 forum posts

ppine said,

We are considering moving to Canada.

IMG_3826.png

November 20, 2019
Quick Reply