DIY Sleeping Pad Inflator

11:16 a.m. on September 18, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,172 reviewer rep
1,185 forum posts

Goose's thread on the DIY Bidet inspired me to share my own not-so-personal gear tweak.

After carrying an Instaflator for a couple of years and really enjoying the ease of blowing up my sleeping pad at night, I decided to experiment with something more multi-use and a little sturdier.  Since I already use a trash compactor bag to line my pack, I took the fittings off that and used them to make a port in the bottom of my pack liner.  You could also just overlap two different sizes of tubing, and catch the liner in between those.  I found a small cap in my shed the right size to plug up the port, but could probably find the right sized stopper if needed.  A couple of photos:
20170914_190907.jpgHere it is connected to my Nemo Astro Insulated Lite pad - an extra piece of tubing stays on the Nemo to make it fit onto the smaller tubing (that is sized for a more common Thermarest valve).
20170915_073207.jpgCloser look at the fitting - the black tube overlaps a smaller tube inside the liner (see below) and catches the bag between them.
20170915_073222.jpgA shot from inside the bag - the two overlapping tubes hold the liner bag air tight.
20170916_175934.jpgIt took two full bags of air to fill my Nemo this weekend (shot from my last camp above shows the full size mattress).  I blew into the bag twice from about a foot away and it filled up.  I then rolled it closed and squeezed it into the pad.  No leaking that I could notice - this is also a good way to check your liner bag doesn't leak!

I was able to blow up the air mattress quickly and from inside the tent (which is a lot harder with the longer Instaflator).  The bag is a lot more sturdy and the port weighs next to nothing.  I guess if I have concerns on really wet trips about leakage around the port in the bottom of the pack I could double line it.  So far so good...

6:18 a.m. on September 19, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

+1 on this. 

Had the exact situation and did the same thing as you, Phil. Once the Instaflator started having to be patched in difficult spots and reading Gooses' post I decided to see if it worked. Sure enough does. I use it for both my Klymit and Thermarest.

September 19, 2018
Quick Reply