Guy jumps into snow and gets more than he bargained for.

4:14 p.m. on January 27, 2018 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

Guy jumps into snow and gets more than he bargained for.

https://www.wimp.com/guy-jumps-into-snow-and-gets-more-than-he-bargained-for/ 

12:39 p.m. on February 1, 2018 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
354 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Hi Gary

I wonder if that video was taken in Revelstoke  B.C..

A couple hours west of me. Were the average annual snowfall is over 30ft in the upper reaches .

Ski capital of Canada

12:55 a.m. on February 9, 2018 (EST)
1,066 reviewer rep
716 forum posts

LORDY! To have such snow!  Those guys are spoiled rotten.

Eric B.

8:10 a.m. on February 9, 2018 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
12,294 reviewer rep
1,413 forum posts

We had a dusting of snow last night. I had to brush off my windshield this morning. 

:(

11:44 a.m. on February 14, 2018 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,075 forum posts

This is how stupid people that drink a lot act.  There are plenty of drifts on the edge of ridges.  Cornices are common.  In Alaska above tree line I have worked in places that were very hard to get to except by helicopter.  Even in summer we jumped out of the high side of the helicopter with our equipment into snow drifts. We tried to miss the rocks.  There is definitely some risk involved.  Then we hiked down to the river valleys to get picked up at the end of the long summer days. 

1:30 a.m. on February 15, 2018 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I remember when I first hiked in the high Sierra of Yosemite in September and saw trail markers high above the trail on trees at least 20 feet above the ground, I thought who would normally look up that high for a marker. But in 1980 when I spent Jan-May winter backpacking I found out why the markers were so far above the ground. When the drifted snow was 10+ feet deep a regular marker would be buried. In the Sierra Nevada snow is called Sierra cement being moisture from the Pacific 300 miles west. It freezes together as soon as it falls. How many times I had to dig my tent out of the snow in the mornings and it was not easy to do!

Once while Snowshoeing the Glacier Point Trail from Badger Pass to the point I tripped on my snowshoes and fell headlong into 6 feet of powder snow and it took my a while to swim my way out to stand up again.

12:09 p.m. on February 15, 2018 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,075 forum posts

Watch out for tree wells.  I used to x-c and telemark ski a lot.  In the Rockies the snow is cold and light. In the Sierra the warm sunny days even in winter allow the snow to soften up and refreeze.  It can be icy, but the snow is usually heavy and dense like Gary mentioned.  On on overnight trips, skiing with a pack makes one top heavy. We had to be careful especially when going from sun to shade and vice versa.  The worst was fast icy snow in the shade to soft, slow snow in the sun.  Faceplants were common. 

1:30 p.m. on February 15, 2018 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,037 forum posts

When we lived in New England, I found tree wells to be all too common. Several times we happened on ski tourers hanging upside down from their skis in a tree well. Since we were new to the area, I would have expected that we would be the victims. However, friends taught us how to avoid the wells. All the victims we pulled out were locals, surprisingly enough. Then again, we were descending from peak bagging several times late in the day and encountered ill-equipped locals just starting up frozen creeks without any kind of crampons or even spikes.

April 8, 2020
Quick Reply