Aspens Leafing Out

9:10 p.m. on May 27, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Saturday I drove over the Sierras on route 88 over to Jackson, CA on the way to visit and friend's ranch for a vaquero festival.  None of the aspens has any leaves yet due to the cool and wet spring. Today (Sunday) all the aspens below around 7,000 feet had leaves on them.  They apparently got busy on Sat afternoon and leafed out all at once. . 

Nature:  Its not what you think. 

7:03 a.m. on May 29, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

That's a great catch phrase...and true. I wish I had been camped among the aspen or hiking through when that happened.

Was camped along the River Findhorn in Scotland last week literally writing in my journal about the fact that I hadn't seen any red deer, only lots of sign. That was the moment about 150 of them almost appeared in the valley descending from the surrounding hills. I would have written your phrase down if I thought of it at the time!

11:13 a.m. on May 29, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good thoughts Phil.  I knew someone would get it.  Nature often shows feast or famine.  I miss seeing the giant herds of mule deer, antelope, and elk that are so common in place like Wyoming. 

I wish I could share "a wee dram" with you and go out looking for red deer at twilight.  the catch phrase is one I came up with after working in the field for a month.  

11:29 a.m. on May 29, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

I was sipping on a dram of Edradour (responsibly as I was on my own in the highlands) and relaxing after an 18 mile day when my moment came along. Had several of them the last couple of weeks... moments like that and drams! The red deer herds reminded me of my unfortunately limited trips out west and the elk and deer there.

Ppine you especially would love the Scottish highlands from not just the remoteness but the interesting efforts to "rewild" areas, significant efforts toward reforestation, as well as the pull between green energy efforts and the controversial locating of windmills in highland windy areas. I'll start working on a trip report in the next couple of weeks.

1:13 p.m. on June 2, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Phil I learned recently of my family history that comes from Scotland and Ireland, not England like we always believed.  It would be a great place to visit. The UK has been settled for so long, the vast majority of the forest land has been converted to farmland.  It is great to hear of the efforts for rewilding. 

November 12, 2019
Quick Reply