Tick Illness Hitting Close To Home

4:13 p.m. on June 2, 2018 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
10,139 reviewer rep
444 forum posts

A close family friend passed away last week, and her illness presented no warning. Her last waking moments were hiking on the trail near NYC when she collapsed. Kidney failure was the cause of her death in less than 24 hours, and she had no sign of illness prior to her day hike. My friend wasn't even 30. 

It turns out that Babesiosis is a nasty parasite that is becoming a more prevalent threat to the northeast of the USA. I cannot stress how important tick awareness is.

That being said, after finding a few hitchhikers from one of my recent hikes, I thought I was good-to-go until my next outing. Then I found one on my head two days later. Doxycycline x3 weeks is the prescription :/ No matter how hard you try, these little beasts will never stop trying. 

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/babesiosis/index.html

Please be safe out there, and advocate awareness to everyone you know. 

8:35 p.m. on June 2, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,931 reviewer rep
1,430 forum posts

Replied to your email but wanted to respond with condolences here as well Sean. Such a tough way to lose someone, especially at that young age. Everyone worries about bears but its those little things inside the little things that scare me.

I'll echo the be safe and repeat the word permethrin again and again.

12:52 p.m. on June 3, 2018 (EDT)
4,906 reviewer rep
1,037 forum posts

Man, that’s scary, so sorry for your loss! The tick population up here is exploding as well with confirmed cases of Lymes in the area. 

I agree, Lone, people (non hiker/campers) always ask me if I’m scared of the bears, coyotes, wolves, etc when I go out. They are often shocked when I tell them what I’m truly cautious of (such as ticks, and the scariest encounter I’ve ever had with an animal was a Moose!). 

Be careful out there everyone! 

8:52 p.m. on June 3, 2018 (EDT)
388 reviewer rep
220 forum posts

So sorry for your loss. Truly a tragedy.

I pack Deet and or Permethrin with me and spray it where I sit when I take a break in the woods, besides the spraying I do previously to leaving.

10:56 p.m. on June 3, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,569 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Condolences Sean. That is sad news indeed. Thank you for sharing this and raising awareness.

As I am in a profession spending a lot of time in the outdoors in tick country, I know a lot of people with Lyme, Rocky mountain, and alpha-gal but have never heard of this one. Ill pass along this link to others so that some positive awareness can come out of this tragedy.

I pretreat everything with Permethrin and it is very effective, but please note the instructions and warnings...dont spray it like DEET and only use it to pretreat clothing and other fabric equipment.

4:06 p.m. on June 4, 2018 (EDT)
6,684 reviewer rep
2,177 forum posts

very awful news. one of my nephews had a bout of lyme. i check for ticks after every hike, but it's pretty tough to spot something the size of a poppy seed unless you're very diligent.  

8:57 p.m. on June 4, 2018 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
361 forum posts

Old Guide said:

I pack Deet and or Permethrin with me and spray it where I sit when I take a break in the woods, besides the spraying I do previously to leaving.

I hope I'm reading this wrong. It sounds like you spray chemicals on rocks and logs as you move through the backcountry. Not how either of these products is supposed to be used, and not at all LNT.

FlipNC said:

use it [permethrin] to pretreat clothing and other fabric equipment.

^This.

4:21 p.m. on June 7, 2018 (EDT)
3,158 reviewer rep
2,248 forum posts

This is just horrible. So sorry Sean. 

3:14 a.m. on June 8, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi, Sean! I am so sorry to hear. I just signed up for this site and this is the first post I saw.

I have been suffering from Lyme, Babesosis and Bartonella for 7 years now. Some want to argue that is is "curable", but you can suffer for long after the tick bite regardless.

Everyones body reacts so differently. Not to mention, ticks usually transfer multiple infections, not just one. 

Some will die, some will live disabled and a few will even heal. 

I really recommend if you ever see a tick attached to you to take antibiotics. As you said, Doxycycline. That is the best choice. Many people never even have a rash, so that is why some get sick much later. Because they got a very late diagnosis, it has wreaked havoc on their body. 

The testing for Lyme (and co-infections) can be less than 40% accurate as well, so according to the CDC, it can be treated based on symptoms. 

I have spent the last 7 years doing what I can to help others with Lyme and spread awareness. Some people think awareness for it is dramatic, but it really sucks. A lot of people do not understand how dangerous it can be. My sister-in-law ignored my advice when I saw a rash on my niece and did nothing :( 

May 20, 2019
Quick Reply