Do you save space with the sea to summit x pot?

3:56 a.m. on June 22, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Anyone use the sea to summit X Pot for cooking?  Picked one up to see if It would save me any pack space, considering that most of the time I will put things inside the cookware anyways.  

After a quick mockup it seems that it still saves me a fair amount of room since it a shape that is a lot more packable than standard cookware so even if I don't save that much actual room in theory (normally keep a fuel canister, stove and spoons inside cookware) the flat shape is a lot easier to find room for.  

Wondering if anyone else with more experience with these has found whether they actually save space in practice or not. 

7:06 a.m. on June 22, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,710 reviewer rep
1,470 forum posts

The answer is probably personal and depends on what folks are carrying and how they use it. My GSI kettle holds my fuel canister, stove, spork and coffee screen. At that point it is pretty full so emptying all that out and collapsing the kettle probably wouldn't save me much space. Larger pots carried mostly empty would probably see better results.

The important thing is how it works for you Marilyn. Keep using it for a while and see what you think. Then come share your review with us!

1:57 p.m. on June 22, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,379 forum posts

I have carried and used MSR's one quart Stow-a-way cook pot for about 30 years now. I can put my MSR Pocket Rocket 2 stove inside with my Bic lighter ,a nylon pot scrubber and my spork. The shortest MSR fuel canister also fits inside. The lid to the cook pot has a sealable lid that is water tight, keeping everything inside dry.

MSR-Pocket-Rocket-2_1911.jpg

1305031249_05.jpgClosed

msr-alpine-stowaway-pot-475ml.jpg
Open

2:22 p.m. on June 22, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
203 forum posts

I have not used the sea to summit x pot but Ive held on in a store. You may save some pack space as a full pot has more round area that causes voids of space outside in the pack that may or may not be usable space for something else but the x pot for the same volume as my evernew ti is two oz heavier. My pot is packed tight inside with food bags and other sil nylon bags with essentials so no space wasted iside. Outside I probably loose a bit more space than your meathod. 

2:33 p.m. on June 22, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Space saving varies by length of trip and other conditions for me.  Often my 1.3 liter pot holds my kitchen (stove, lighter etc) but sometimes (like often the case with my GSI mug) it is used to hold crushables in my food bag.  Therefore it takes up little space at all.  This is especially the case on a shorter trip where a tomato is always residing for the first day or so in my mug to protect it and lunchtime crackers or other crushables are in the pot along with my dish rag/kitchen bandana and other odds and ends filling up the voids. 

November 12, 2019
Quick Reply