As I strode down the trail at the end of a trip this weekend I had one of those random thoughts that often occur as you drift along: What moments do I like best about backpacking?
Not specific moments related to one experience, but the ones that keep occurring on a semi-regular basis. I easily rolled off about 20 but here's the first that came to mind...
- That moment you sling your pack onto your back and begin the day's journey.
- Waking up on a cold morning and watching the sun come up and thaw things out while sipping on a cup of coffee.
- Watching the sunset from a comfy campsite sipping on a wee dram of Scotch.
- That moment you crest a hill, or come out of the forest, to a brand new view and the landscape opens in front of you.
- When an off-trail exploration finds a nice little spot, view, campsite, whatever, and you wonder how long its been since someone else stood there or if they ever have.
Love to hear your top 5, or 2, or however many. No bottom 5's though - there's enough negativity out there in the wide world web!