Pump filter or gravity/ squeeze filter?

9:27 p.m. on September 30, 2018 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
81 forum posts

What do you experienced outdoors people prefer for providing safe water, a pump filter or the gravity/squeeze bag type?

2:43 a.m. on October 1, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

I like ULA Amigo Pro because it is lightweight and easy to use.

There's also the LifeStraw. I'm curious about it since it claims that their system can remove 99.999% of viruses like Rotavirus and Hepatitis A.

7:52 a.m. on October 1, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,931 reviewer rep
1,430 forum posts

I've been using my current gravity set up for a couple of years and find it works well for me. I use a Platy Big Zip as my dirty bag, a full sized Sawyer filter rather than the mini because the mini was a lot slower and a 3l Platy clean bag.

Takes a little fiddling to hook everything up, but then it does all the work while I eat or do something else. Few minutes later I have enough to fill both of my water bottles, then chug the rest or stash the extra if I need to carry more.

Added benefit is that I have a lot of water carrying capacity if needed. Once I've done the first bag I can run another 3l through and even reload the dirty if I really need to.

10:49 a.m. on October 1, 2018 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
361 forum posts

Squeeze-type for solo ventures.

12:03 p.m. on October 1, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,158 reviewer rep
2,248 forum posts

Squeeze for warm temps. aqua-mira drops or tabs for freezing temps

May 20, 2019
Quick Reply