Another 18v drill thread

11:33 a.m. on January 7, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

my 24v 11225vsr bosch is long overdue to be replaced, I'm sick of rebuilding NiMh batteries and replacing brushes.  Seen a lot of positive reviews for the current 18v LiOn rotary hammers (mainly dewalt, bosch, makita, and milwaukee) and found one I am very interested in, wondering if anyone has used it.  Ridgid brushless octane 18v rotary hammer Impact Energy: 1.8 ft.-lbs/2.5 Joules BPM: 0-4,200 BPM.  
I have a ton of 18v Ridgid gear (8x 4ah batts, couple more 2ah) and have used the lifetime warranty on a bunch of batteries, a chargers and a regular drill...all swapped no questions asked; that's the main reason why I am looking at this gun vs. starting over with the more popular 18v products - lifetime warranty on the tool and already on my batts.  
Only drilling limestone, maintenance bolting and probably a few new sport lines, mainly 1/2"x4" holes  (although I have a 100 or so 3/8" to use up).  tool only will be less than $300 vs. for example bosch 18v with 2 batts around $400.  Other option is to get the 12v Milwaukee fuel ($300 for tool, 3x batts - will it handle 1/2" holes?) and keep pluggin away with my 8lb annihilator.

1:02 p.m. on January 7, 2019 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,630 forum posts

Years ago I worked as a commercial electrician.  Tools get used hard.  Milwaukee was the most popular for a reason.  I have some Rigid power tools, fine for at home but not on the job. 

9:36 p.m. on January 9, 2019 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,210 forum posts

If I get your gist, you use this gun to place bolts for sport climbing.   Why in this day and age do you think we need more bolts to mar up the crags and boulders?

Ed  

9:45 p.m. on January 9, 2019 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,151 reviewer rep
365 forum posts

My hands down choice would be Milwaukee, with Dewalt a fairly distant second. Makita never impressed me much, and the Bosch name gets put on everything these days. They make the absolute worst remanufactured alternators & starters. 

9:32 a.m. on January 11, 2019 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,630 forum posts

Setting permanent rock anchors went out of style in the 1970s.

I agree with Ed as usual. 

February 16, 2019
Quick Reply