Stove-nested cookware smells/tastes like fuel

5:23 p.m. on February 12, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

My camping friend has a MSR stove he nests inside his cooking pot, but because of this the pot and everything we cook in it reeks of fuel. The amount of water and material we use up to clean the pot before cooking to get rid of the smell is very wasteful and would never be doable on long hikes, and the amount of water and material to try and clean off stove, primer cup, wick, fuel line, etc. so it doesn't stink up the pot would also be impossible.

What are people doing who talk about how these stoves can nest inside their pots?  Is there some trick to not making the pot and everything else inside of it reek of fuel?

Thanks for any feedback/advice

7:38 p.m. on February 12, 2019 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Which "MSR stove" are we discussing?  i keep a MSR burner head inside the pot with no problems, while the canister is elsewhere.

Obviously, keep the fuel and any apparatus tainted with fuel away from the cooking pots.  There is no law that says they must be nested together.

7:51 p.m. on February 12, 2019 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,419 forum posts

If it is a white gas fueled stove, do not stow it in your cookware.  There are several ways fuel can soil the pots.  If your friend is stowing his stove with the fuel tank pumped up under pressure, this can lead to the problem.  He needs to decompress the tank before packing away.  There maybe a fuel line leak.  Disconnect the stove from the fuel tank and drain the stove and fuel line before packing away the stove and fuel tank.  There can be residual fuel in the fuel line or stove, even after a diligent effort to purge both of residual fuel.  Instead pack the stove away in a small stuff sack to preclude soot from soiling other items.

If it is a butane canister stove, this should not be an issue as this system should not produce the problem described.  If you have a fuel taste in pots used to store a canister stove you have a leaky stove, or are failing to completely shut off fuel flow.  If this is the case you need to determine the source of the leak and fix it.  Carrying a leaky canister stove is a big safety hazard!

Ed

6:43 a.m. on February 13, 2019 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

I keep my kitchen in my pot but not the fuel. Canister, white gas, or alcohol...just prefer them separated. I do store my Caldera Sidewinder stove base/screen in there wrapped in my kitchen bandana but that's it. 

8:57 a.m. on February 13, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks for the responses all.  This was an MSR Whisperlite Universal I believe.  He stowed the stove and fuel line wrapped around it in the cooking pot, as I saw on several reviews of the stove after looking it up.  It seems like it's marketed and reviewed this way, folded/collapsed with the fuel line wrapped around it and inside a pot.  The MSR website advertises specific pots as ones that the stove can be stowed in.

When my friend is done with the stove, he turns the tank so air is pumped through to stove and waits til fire goes out.  Then he disconnects bottle and collapses stove, wraps fuel line to hug around it, and puts in pot.

It seems odd that the website recommends nesting pots and the stove is so often reviewed this way, yet it seems like a bad idea to store it in the pots due to the fuel and/or soot odor.   Is it just a marketing gimmick and then no one actually does it?  I am surprised people who review the stove, who seem to be frequent backpackers, don't talk about the fuel odor and they show it inside their pots as well.  Perhaps they just exclusively use the isobutane canisters?

10:37 a.m. on February 13, 2019 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

I see that you posed this question in at least one other forum, getting the same general response.  One poster stated that he kept his Trangia burner (alcohol) in his cook set with no problem.

That works as long as the inner gasket on the Trangia is intact.  On a trip long ago, the cracked gasket on mine leaked, sickening a winsome young lady in our party, so that she was unable to finish the climb.  Alas, a possible relationship nipped in the bud!

Keep your fuel and cooking utensils separate.  More organs than your stomach may be damaged....

Do you really trust the opinions of strangers who post on the internet (including me)?

10:50 a.m. on February 13, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks hikermor, I did post on another forum with this, then saw this form and thought perhaps asking backpacker/hikers might broaden the input over a more survivalist approach.  I did want to cast a wide net because it seemed like we must be missing something or doing something wrong.  Thanks for your response, and sorry about the one that got away!

November 19, 2019
Quick Reply