A backpacking tent for 2. Any suggestions?

6:24 a.m. on May 22, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'm looking into a new backpacking tent. I'm planning a solo 3-day Pemi loop trip in NH.

So I'm looking for a free standing tent, 3.5 lbs or less and a relatively inexpensive price $250 or less. I know a 1 person would do, but I've been wanting to invest in a 2 person for future backpacking trips with the wife anyways. I found a few potentials online, but nothing beats the advice of tried and true use by fellows.

I appreciate any advice and experience from others.

12:07 p.m. on May 22, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,940 forum posts

A two person modern BP tent is not much heavier than a 1P.  Then you have plenty of room for one and room for your honey, a dog or both. 

You are in a pretty good price range.  Avoid the cheap tents with small rain flys. 

Consider a tarp for milder weather. 

5:14 p.m. on May 22, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,400 forum posts

Welcome aboard, Daniel!  Read your bio - extreme ironing - you already have me smiling!

It will be a challenge to find a good 2P tent for $250.  I suggest you buy used on ebay.  

Big Agness Fly Creek HV LU2 and the MSR Hubba Hubba get my votes for your intended use.  Both are pretty light, and wifey will appreciate a tent with a floor.

Ed

11:02 a.m. on May 23, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,940 forum posts

Don't worry about the price that much.  I bought a Sierra Designs tent 25 years ago that is still in great shape.  It is a little heavy by modern standards but it gets used plenty every year especially on boat trips.  I use a tarp for most backpacking trips. 

8:40 a.m. on May 26, 2019 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
468 forum posts

REI  Half Dome 2 Plus available now for $160 - weighs just a bit more than your spec, but others are available.  I haven't used one, but this model is highly recommended.

Actually a tarp works quite well, especially if privacy is not a concern....

11:17 a.m. on May 27, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,300 reviewer rep
407 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Welcome aboard, Daniel!  Read your bio - extreme ironing - you already have me smiling!

It will be a challenge to find a good 2P tent for $250.  I suggest you buy used on ebay.  

Big Agness Fly Creek HV LU2 and the MSR Hubba Hubba get my votes for your intended use.  Both are pretty light, and wifey will appreciate a tent with a floor.

Ed

I have a Fly Creek HV UL1 and wish I’d gone with the UL2. For 2 people the UL3 would probably be a better choice, everything you’ve ever read about tent space seems to apply in spades to these tents. They're all out of the OP’s price range, though, and he’ll want to buy the footprint because the reason they‘re UL is because the fabric is very thin. And he might as well go ahead and buy enough MSR Groundhog stakes plus a couple extras (my UL1 needs 12 to guy out everything), because the included J-stakes might as well be drinking straws if you drive them into anything besides a lawn. 

It looks like you’d be right around 4lb with a Fly Creek HV UL3, footprint, and better stakes. Very manageable for 2 people. I carry the tent, fly, & footprint stuffed in my pack, and the poles & stakes (in the pole bag) fit nicely in a side mesh pocket & under the compression straps. 

3:27 p.m. on May 27, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,300 reviewer rep
407 forum posts

I missed the edit window for my previous post, but the Fly Creek HV UL series aren‘t free standing. You need 5 stakes to pitch just the UL1 tent, and a minimum of 4 more if you use the fly. There are 2 optional guy lines above and to the sides of the fly door, for a grand total of 11 stakes needed if you use every guyout. 

5:53 p.m. on June 4, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,906 reviewer rep
2,254 forum posts

prefacing this - i'm not a fan of spending on tents except for 4 season. inexpensive has served me well for 3 season use. that said, any time you buy something like this and use it for a long time, spending a little more for what you want and/or for higher quality makes sense.  

REI's less expensive tents are middle of the road, are stable and keep you dry in rain and high winds, very durable, and guaranteed for life. they weigh a little more than you would like. i have a ten year old camp dome 2 that has worked fine for solo hiking for me - no need for a vestibule, i put my pack and boots next to me near my feet. weighs about 5 pounds. their half and quarter dome tents are a step up - the former a little heavier than you want, the latter a hundred bucks more than you want to spend.  

that's a great area - enjoy the hike. it's also a lot of up and down if you hit a bunch of the peaks - you would probably sleep just as well in a bivy bag!

12:27 p.m. on June 5, 2019 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,944 forum posts

Hubba bubba is got a lot of good reviews the last few years and the big agnes you might caught last years model 2 person on sale online or a store...Worth looking into...

October 15, 2019
Quick Reply