Perfect Pot...

11:31 p.m. on June 19, 2019 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,483 forum posts

So yeah, the perfect pot exists, if only for you. For me, it's a 660ml titanium Evernew with a slightly under-square shape and a set of long wire handles coated in grey silicone, spot welded directly to the wall of the pot, which is to say without rivets breaking the wall.

It is light as all get out, and holds enough for a big freezer-bag meal. It is uncoated, so I can clean it with a rinse and a pinch of sand. It fits a small gas can perfectly, with room for my stove on top. The folks over at Ruta Locura make a perfect molded carbon-fiber lid for it.

What's your perfect pot?

6:37 a.m. on June 20, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

I am still in search for my perfect pot...a couple of favorites are my thirty year old aluminum 1 liter with the old loop handle to hang over a fire...lots of memories associated with that one until I had to retire it...too many bumps and divots to clean easily. It holds a place on my equipment shelf though as I can't bring myself to get rid of it yet. Current favorite is a 1.3 L Vargo titanium. Folding handles with no rivets inside the pot, and a good lid with holes for straining pasta. A little large for some but for me it fits the bill for trips with my wife but also has that extra room to accommodate my bubbling and simmering dinners over the wood stove. My entire kitchen including stove fit inside which helps a lot on longer trips. 

1:10 p.m. on June 20, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,423 forum posts

I prefer aluminum.  Ti is does not distribute heat well, amplifying the hot spot problem with backpacking stoves.  And those hi tech pots with silicone walls - well call me old fashion, I don't trust plastic around flames.  As for dimensional considerations, I like a pot whose height is about equal the diameter.  It makes for a stable pot as well as efficient fuel use.  Lids or some type of cover are absolutely required!

Pot configuration must consider use.  My camp cooking is varied; some frying, some boiling, some simmering and some snow melting.  There is not ideal solution that accommodates all these considerations.  My typical set up is two billies: a three cup pot for coffee and tea, and a six cup pot for preparing boil bags and simmering them.  I also bring a fry pan, mainly for breakfast items, but also when trout or fresh groceries are on the menu.  Larger group trips up-sizes the billies.  Snow camping sees me bringing a customized pot and stove that make up a highly efficient system for melting/boiling large volumes of water.

Equally important is matching a stove for one's intended practices.  I have a MSR WindPro that is a great simmer canister stove for real cooking; and MSR Pocket Rocket for hard core UL trips (or back up stove on most excursions) and the aforementioned old MSR Firefly white gas stove that I have customized for snow camping.

Ed

4:40 p.m. on June 20, 2019 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

When solo biking or hiking, the mini-Trangia cookset, usually paired with a Pocket Rocket.

4:49 p.m. on June 20, 2019 (EDT)
6,827 reviewer rep
1,682 forum posts

I'm a kettle guy.  I love my GSI kettle.

I hate bringing things I have to simmer.

I either bring fresh food or freeze dried.  Doing dishes involves wiping/washing my spoon and throwing away/burning wrappers for food.  Usually I am someplace where fires aren't allowed so I just pack the trash out.

10:17 a.m. on June 27, 2019 (EDT)
6,827 reviewer rep
1,682 forum posts

In fact, I'm beginning to think that the perfect pot is the one I can leave at home.  Cold coffee is almost as good and cold food is still fuel. I have a black bag I can use to melt snow but if it weren't for melting snow, I think I could cold soak and go without.

10:49 p.m. on June 29, 2019 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,483 forum posts

If it's not that pot it's a MLD 475ml titanium cup/pot, over a Vargo Jet-Ti canister stove.

I also have an aluminum pot, a 1L Primus model with a flux ring, and that sits nicely on the Vargo. I like aluminum pots, besides the tendency for rivets securing any handles towards corrosion from all the heat/cool cycles with storage inbetween. I've noticed it anyway.

I like the aluminum Olicamp pots, as they can be had uncoated. A few brands make such pots.

November 20, 2019
Quick Reply