Nite Ize vs. knots

12:49 p.m. on November 29, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum category so let me know if I should post somewhere else.

Anyway, Nite Ize is very popular right now and I hear people say that using their various products is how they tighten rope, bundle things together, etc.

Are these things pretty much just superfluous if you know your knots? Is there any advantage for using NI products versus just having rope handy (which is much cheaper)?

Is their some product of theirs I don't know about that let's you do something you couldn't otherwise?

Thanks 

-H

5:34 p.m. on November 29, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
258 forum posts

Learn the adjustable grip hitch and it will do perfectly well. Doesn’t cost anything and you can’t loose it. I like it better than a tautline hitch but that will work too. 

With these hitches you can adjust your line by half but with some hardware tensioners you can adjust the line to 100% or close. I’ve never had a problem with the former and like less gizmos and more skill sets. 

9:12 p.m. on November 29, 2019 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,515 forum posts

@Harvey: Yeah the Nite-Ize and other such guy-line tensioners are of most benefit during winter camping, when reduced blood-flow to extremeties and thick gloves make knot tying difficult. You are absolutely correct that they offer little inherent benefit besides generally making life a little easier when pitching camp.

That said, I have appropriately-sized Line-Loks on every single guy-line, on every shelter I own. No one has ever given me guff, or looked down on me for it.

Nite-Ize started out making really good universal head-lamp straps for various flashlights, and those are still very much worth their salt, if you can find them...

11:24 p.m. on November 29, 2019 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,519 forum posts

The Nite Ize products that secures stuff utilizing a cord that you twist is just extra weight.  Other alternatives on the market designed to speed lashing and securing things are buckles that are less expensive and much lighter.  Like Pillowthread, I like to keep things simple - the less to break or get lost.  Thus I generally use knots.  But I use line locking buckles instead of knots on some lines because of ease of use and speed, especially appreciated when one must frequently access stowed gear, or when handling lines with gloved hands.

Ed

7:35 a.m. on November 30, 2019 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,709 reviewer rep
1,576 forum posts

I went the Dutch bling route years ago and never looked back. Not enough for the whole family, so on those trips I have to tie a bit. Otherwise I find the investment to have been a good one. In the snow it is especially nice, but any time of year it saves me time setting up and tearing down.

Here are a couple examples of what I'm talking about:

Dutchware Hookworm

Dutchware Continuous Ridgeline

11:20 a.m. on November 30, 2019 (EST)
2,017 reviewer rep
403 forum posts

Harvey Gunderson said:

Are these things pretty much just superfluous if you know your knots?

Mostly. They are a potential convenience/time saver, although I leave hitches tied in my guy lines so I don't fuss with untying and retying. As PT said, the convenience is greater in winter when not only is it more challenging to deal with knots with gloves on, or more uncomfortable to take gloves off to deal with knots, it's also possible that knots can freeze up overnight and be impossible to untie, gloves or no gloves. Otherwise, as Ed said, they are a slight weight penalty for us gram counters.

3:09 p.m. on November 30, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
258 forum posts

That’s what I do, keep all the hitches tied on one end and a figure 8 loop on the other so the line can be slipped though a tent or tarp tie out point and instantly secured. The slip knot/hitch goes around the stake. If the knots are frozen in the morning just remove the stakes and pack up as is. The knots will hopefully be thawed by the next stop. 

Some REI tents come with plastic tensioners that work but I always replace their guylines with triptease, lighter, stronger with the spectra core and the nylon sheath holds a knot well.

April 2, 2020
Quick Reply