Just had a few years taken off my life

7:09 p.m. on February 18, 2020 (EST)
Phil Smith
1,310 reviewer rep
429 forum posts

I was out snowshoeing during our snowstorm, just roaming cross-country, when this happened 3 feet in front of me. 

9EA4FCE6-BAAD-4D7C-BCA6-0B25081B28F2.jpg

7:11 p.m. on February 18, 2020 (EST)
Old Guide
447 reviewer rep
443 forum posts

Grouse burying itself? or coming out?

Or?

Don't keep me guessing...lol.

7:39 p.m. on February 18, 2020 (EST)
Phil Smith
1,310 reviewer rep
429 forum posts

Coming out, it was like a landmine going off 3 feet in front of me. 

8:19 p.m. on February 18, 2020 (EST)
Jake W
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,909 reviewer rep
1,084 forum posts

Hahaha. Had this happen to me about 5 or 6 years ago. Never been so scared of a bird in my life!

8:31 p.m. on February 18, 2020 (EST)
FlipNC
4,360 reviewer rep
1,607 forum posts

I can relate...1989...North Georgia mountains camping trip with a bunch of college friends. Needless to say we were imbibing beverages a good bit. About three AM I stumbled out of my tent and tottered to the edge of the open meadow we were camping in, to relieve myself. Bushes exploded as a turkey or grouse (I honestly have no idea) exploded out of the shrubs. It must have been woken by a lot worse feeling than I had, but it shaved a few years of me as well as I fell backward yelling at the top of my lungs...everyone had a good laugh but I swear those were my first grey hairs. 

9:11 p.m. on February 18, 2020 (EST)
Old Guide
447 reviewer rep
443 forum posts

lol...good ol Grouse. I never had one do it to me in the snow but sure had plenty do it in the woods.

9:13 p.m. on February 18, 2020 (EST)
whomeworry
125 reviewer rep
3,551 forum posts

Years ago I surprised a large animal in the night.  It flushed just feet from me, making quite the racket as it went crashing off into the under story.  I 'bout crapped my shorts. 

On a recent hike a large chunk of bark brushed the brim of my hat and knocked my staff out of my hand on its way down.   The first limbs were 30' up...  I estimated the bark chunk weighed about 10 pounds.

Ed

10:53 p.m. on February 18, 2020 (EST)
Phil Smith
1,310 reviewer rep
429 forum posts

Yeah, I’m a little surprised I didn’t make room for a bigger dinner right there. 

10:20 a.m. on February 19, 2020 (EST)
Patman
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,311 forum posts

Yeah man those Grouse are alarming. Some years back I was hiking in the Smokies and stopped to adjust layers when to the right of the trail a black bear popped his head up out of the brush to watch me, and about the same time a grouse on the left side trail just a few feet away started fluffing up and screeching at me. The bear got even more curious and started moving towards me...it was a total freak out moment and I busted on out of there..........., ok, ok, I'm leaving.....geez

3:55 p.m. on February 19, 2020 (EST)
FromSagetoSnow
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,361 reviewer rep
1,704 forum posts

This is why I never feel bad shooting and eating them.

7:12 p.m. on February 19, 2020 (EST)
Alicia MacLeay @Alicia
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,386 reviewer rep
4,536 forum posts

Wow! I've had them scare the bejesus out of me while hiking or running, but never out of the snow like that. 

A couple have kept coming at me, which is scary. I assume I was too close to a nest.

7:49 p.m. on February 19, 2020 (EST)
Phil Smith
1,310 reviewer rep
429 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Years ago I surprised a large animal in the night.  It flushed just feet from me, making quite the racket as it went crashing off into the under story.  I 'bout crapped my shorts. 

Ed

Back in probably 1994 I was stationed in Germany, and other than the city of Idar-Oberstein the area was very rural so a friend and I hiked and camped almost every weekend. One night we’d just hiked maybe 5 miles from post and rolled out our sleeping bags in a field maybe 50’ from the treeline. Just when I was about to fall asleep, the loudest “UUUHHHHHHH UUUHHHHHHHH UUUUHHHHHH!” came from the treeline a little farther down from where we were, and while we didn’t hug each other like Shaggy & Scooby do when frightened it was a close thing. I later found out it was the roar of a red deer stag. It took us a while to be ready to try sleeping again, but there were no more roars that night.  

9:43 p.m. on February 19, 2020 (EST)
Old Guide
447 reviewer rep
443 forum posts

Phil your red stag story reminds me of moving onto farmland and I was a couple hundred yards from the next farm and one night I heard the most awful screaming and screeching...I turned the stereo up...lol!

It was peacocks which I had no idea were being raised next door.

9:47 p.m. on February 19, 2020 (EST)
Bob Withrow
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

But it made for a really cool Kodak moment!

4:05 a.m. on February 20, 2020 (EST)
BigRed
6,632 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

On an evening dog walk the other night, with the headlamp off to go by natural light, Harley was just about nose to butt with a badger before I realized it wasn't a rock poking up through the snow. I pulled Harley, turned the headlamp on full beam, and got a good look at it's face as it turned to look at us before ambling away unconcernedly into the woods. Harley, meanwhile, was going apes**t. Not really scary, more of a cool encounter.

Back around Christmas in about the same spot we got feint-charged to within about 3 meters by a young bull moose that had been hiding in the trees -- I may have mentioned that in another thread. More recently there's been a mama moose with two calves hanging out in the spruce forest along one of the trails, seen 'em a couple of times.

All within Trondheim city limits.

9:38 a.m. on February 20, 2020 (EST)
Jeff Ashford
62 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

You spend enough time in the backcountry that once in a while you will get spooked by something, seen all from Brown Bears, Cats, snakes...but a Peacock scream would be right up there at the top :)

10:02 a.m. on February 20, 2020 (EST)
BC Heath
TOP 25 REVIEWER
368 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I was on a trail run last year and startled a grouse...it ran parallel to the trail and slightly ahead of me making a noise that sounded similar to that of a whimpering puppy. I’ve had a lot of grouse encounters but never anything like that, I’m guessing it was distracting me away from a nest.

9:58 a.m. on March 20, 2020 (EDT)
ppine
73 reviewer rep
4,111 forum posts

Then you should avoid encounters with bear and moose. 

11:54 p.m. on March 20, 2020 (EDT)
balzaccom
0 reviewer rep
746 forum posts

I have had several very close encounters with bears, but none of them elevated my pulse rate anything near a what a hen turkey did once...

I was riding my road bike down hill on a lovely, curvy road at something like 35 mph, pedaling hard and swooping through the turns.  Nobody but me on the road.   At the end of a long drop straightway, I was preparing for a manageable left hand turn in the road.  On the right hand side was a chain link fence and some knee-high dry grass.  On the left, plenty of pavement, and no on-coming traffic. 

And just as I put my weight fully on my right leg and leaned into that left hand turn, a hen turkey hidden in the dry grass exploded up in front of me and sailed over the fence. 

It was probably ten feet away when it took off, and practically in my lap when I went by. 

I didn't breathe for about a minute. 

Home was six miles away, and my heart was still racing when I got there 20 or so minutes later...

May 28, 2020
Quick Reply