Red Ledge Thunderlight

11:39 p.m. on February 9, 2002 (EST)

Does any know how the Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket and/or pants stack up too Marmot Precip and MH's Grade 6 peices? Or if you can't give a direct comparison, just post your thoughts and experiences with the Thunderlight stuff.

Thanks a bundle,

Happy Being

Daniel

12:12 a.m. on February 10, 2002 (EST)
And of course, the specifics:

Do these featherweights like precip and thunderlight have good DWR performance? Do they wet-out eventually like regular w/b wear, or is the water-beading coating permanent?

how is the fit of the jacket and pants? Good articulation? Are they close or loose fitting? Can you raise your arms in the jacket with out it riding up much? Does the hood move with your head?

how small does each pack down?

Do the pants have two-way zippers on the sides?

Easy to use draw cords?

is the absense of an external rain flap (on the jacket) going to cuase any significant leakage?

thanks,

Daniel

7:42 a.m. on February 12, 2002 (EST)
Re: And of course, the specifics:

I purchased the jacket and pants from Campmor last summer. My latest kick is dumping the heavy/bulky Goretex and I chose this brand over the Precip mostly due to price (combined cost about $85-$90.) I've always loved Marmot and was intrigued by the "dry-coat" inner finish, but I'll never be shirtless under the jacket and my legs and arms will generate lots of heat regardless of the jacket material. Backpacker also gave the Red Ledge high marks so I gave it a try. The pants were the more expensive ($40 or $45?) model which has the full 2-way side zips. For an inexpensive pair of shell pants I was pretty impressed. Very functional and well-made. The jacket has pit zips and a stowaway hood. No goofy looking brand-name labels conspicuously plastered all over the place (TNF...) They pack small and come with mesh storage bags. Excellent choice for minimalists. Windproofing was excellent (tried them out for a winter Smokies backpack up on the A-T and they broke a pretty good head wind as well as my 3-ply Goretex shell does.) As far as the DWR goes, I've only worn them in the rain one day up in the 'Dacks last September. Water beaded up well (as any new shell would) but as far as durability goes that remains to be seen. Most DWR's can be "regenerated" by washing them back in. Either choice (Red Ledge or Marmot Precip) is a good one and in my opinion, works every bit as well as over-glamorized, over-weight, over-bulky, and over-priced Goretex. All that is needed is a shell to block out the elements. "Breathability" is ultimately controlled by the zippers once you get cranking on the trail. On many occasions I've overheated wearing Goretex and regulated my core temperature by opening the pit zips or front zip, which is what you do with a basic shell anyway. Save money, weight, and bulk and leave the Goretex for the fashion folk. **********************************************************

Quote:

Do these featherweights like precip and thunderlight have good DWR performance? Do they wet-out eventually like regular w/b wear, or is the water-beading coating permanent?

how is the fit of the jacket and pants? Good articulation? Are they close or loose fitting? Can you raise your arms in the jacket with out it riding up much? Does the hood move with your head?

how small does each pack down?

Do the pants have two-way zippers on the sides?

Easy to use draw cords?

is the absense of an external rain flap (on the jacket) going to cuase any significant leakage?

thanks,

Daniel

April 1, 2020
Quick Reply