newbie: buying a tent

4:52 p.m. on April 2, 2002 (EST)

First, thanks in advance to all! My wife and I are looking into buying out first tent. We've been borrowing my brothers Iron Mountain Gear Hut 4 for the past 3 months, and we're ready for our own. Thing is, my only experience is with the Gear Hut. I've done a lot of reading/research, and am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices. We need some help. So, here's our profile:

1. mostly car camping, but we like to get to out-of-the-way/remote areas (without the ultra-light backpacking gear)
2. we live in Arizona, and like to camp year-round (it can get very cold in the high elevations, hot in the desert)
3. it's only the two of us, but we like a lot of space. The Gear Hut 4 is just about the right size.

Why don't we just buy the Gear Hut, you ask? Well, it's a nice tent, but my wife likes a bit more privacy than the mesh windows provide, and we sometimes like to keep the fly in the car and look at the stars. Also, not a lot in terms of "heft", or "accessories". Again, I'm a newbie, so if I'm not explaining myself well enough, I apologize.

Lastly, we're on a bit of a budget, so $200 is our limit right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks so much for all your help.

Scott.

5:38 p.m. on April 2, 2002 (EST)

Hi Scott,

Best of luck! I

7:33 p.m. on April 2, 2002 (EST)

a.k.a. Kate
tent-hunting

Hi to both Scott and Keith...

Unfortunately it's pretty hard to recommend tents - everyone's tastes and requirements vary so much. One of the tents that I love also has had a lot of negative reviews. The best way to find one that is right for you is probably to make a list of all the things you want and all the things you don't want, then start researching. Salespeoples (like myself) can be helpful, but they aren't going to be the ones using it. I find the Web pretty useful as far as researching gear, and most companies will mail you a free catalogue (I find it easier than Internet searching). Also, check out forums (like this one) and reviews on tents once you have narrowed it down. When you do get to the store, "try it on"!!!! Get in the tent, set the tent up, take the tent down, play with it, take your pack & see how it fits, etc. Any reputable store that has your best interests in mind should have no problem with you doing this.

Happy tent hunting!!!!

Katie

PS: 2 of my favorite tents to use (and popular ones that customers seem to like) are Eureka!'s El Capitan, and Backcountry... that said, my needs are a lot different from yours, as I rarely venture out in Arizona-like temps. :)

7:42 p.m. on April 2, 2002 (EST)

a.k.a. Kate
one more thing...

In addition, try limiting your search (at least at first) to 3 or 4 manufacturers. Most manufacturers offer quite a selection, and you probably won't get far looking at them all. Similar characteristics and features can be found across the spectrum. Try Eureka!, Walrus/Moss (more $$), Kelty, Sierra Design, Outbound.

Katie

7:21 a.m. on April 3, 2002 (EST)

Given your requirements for space and budget I would suggest the Eureka Timberline 4. I have one that's 25 years old and while it's no longer waterproof it is still usable. Any design that lasts this long virtually unchanged must have something going for it.

8:43 a.m. on April 3, 2002 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

EMS offers a great line of good quality tents that are relatively cheap. They stand behind them 100%. If there is ever a problem with the tent they will replace it or fix it at there cost. You can check them out at www.EMS.com. You might have to spend a little over $200 to get what you want, but for a car camping tent, they are a great value.

Quote:

First, thanks in advance to all! My wife and I are looking into buying out first tent. We've been borrowing my brothers Iron Mountain Gear Hut 4 for the past 3 months, and we're ready for our own. Thing is, my only experience is with the Gear Hut. I've done a lot of reading/research, and am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices. We need some help. So, here's our profile:

1. mostly car camping, but we like to get to out-of-the-way/remote areas (without the ultra-light backpacking gear)
2. we live in Arizona, and like to camp year-round (it can get very cold in the high elevations, hot in the desert)
3. it's only the two of us, but we like a lot of space. The Gear Hut 4 is just about the right size.

Why don't we just buy the Gear Hut, you ask? Well, it's a nice tent, but my wife likes a bit more privacy than the mesh windows provide, and we sometimes like to keep the fly in the car and look at the stars. Also, not a lot in terms of "heft", or "accessories". Again, I'm a newbie, so if I'm not explaining myself well enough, I apologize.

Lastly, we're on a bit of a budget, so $200 is our limit right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks so much for all your help.

Scott.

10:00 a.m. on April 3, 2002 (EST)
Thanks a bunch !!

Thanks so much for your help, everyone! While we haven't made a decision yet, we have a much better idea of how to narrow our choices.

You've all been a great help!

Scott.

Quote:

In addition, try limiting your search (at least at first) to 3 or 4 manufacturers. Most manufacturers offer quite a selection, and you probably won't get far looking at them all. Similar characteristics and features can be found across the spectrum. Try Eureka!, Walrus/Moss (more $$), Kelty, Sierra Design, Outbound.

Katie

February 28, 2020
Quick Reply