Wilderness Navigation Workshop

10:52 p.m. on July 25, 2002 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

From time to time, people on this board direct questions about wilderness navigation in my direction. Well, on the weekend of Aug 16-18, I am giving a workshop on "Finding Your Way" for the Sierra Club at Clair Tappaan Lodge (at Donner Pass in California's Sierra Nevada). This will cover everything from navigating without map and compass, through map, compass, altimeter, and GPS receiver (you may recall I used to work on design of the GPS satellites and ground control system before retiring). There is a fee to cover lodging and 3 meals a day, plus cost of reproing the handouts (no, it is not a commercial course, the fee only covering the normal lodging plus a small amount for repro costs). You need your own map and compass (available at Clair Tappaan), but I will have GPS receivers to loan at no cost. You can find the info at the Sierra Club's website

http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodges/ctl/schedule.asp#August

It will be hands-on with a bit of hiking to get actual practice with map, compass, and GPSR, so bring sturdy walking shoes.

4:00 p.m. on August 2, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

do you know of any such clinics east of the mississippi?

Quote:

From time to time, people on this board direct questions about wilderness navigation in my direction. Well, on the weekend of Aug 16-18, I am giving a workshop on "Finding Your Way" for the Sierra Club at Clair Tappaan Lodge (at Donner Pass in California's Sierra Nevada). This will cover everything from navigating without map and compass, through map, compass, altimeter, and GPS receiver (you may recall I used to work on design of the GPS satellites and ground control system before retiring). There is a fee to cover lodging and 3 meals a day, plus cost of reproing the handouts (no, it is not a commercial course, the fee only covering the normal lodging plus a small amount for repro costs). You need your own map and compass (available at Clair Tappaan), but I will have GPS receivers to loan at no cost. You can find the info at the Sierra Club's website

http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodges/ctl/schedule.asp#August

It will be hands-on with a bit of hiking to get actual practice with map, compass, and GPSR, so bring sturdy walking shoes.

October 15, 2019
Quick Reply