Bill S take the Jim S challenge

5:52 p.m. on August 23, 2002 (EDT)
67 reviewer rep
757 forum posts

to update everyone: Bill and I are going backpacking in three weeks. I have been thinking and writing about primitive "IshI" camping - named after the famous last member of some obscure Califonia Indian tribe, for some time. Bill and I both have extensive "low tech camping" backgrounds that even includes axemanship - whoooooahhhh.
Bill has even slept in a canvas puptent... (;->)

So Bill S,
I think we should show these youngsters what a pair of grey beards can do. As I said - we don't have real buffalo skins but we have feather coats and feather blankets. The idea here is to work out a primitive gear list like - feather coat, inflatable buffalo skin rug sleeping pad, feather blanket, boda bag, obsidian knife, fire bow or fire by spark only,but leave out the water filter, flashlight, lighter, Infrared scope, and clean clothes.
How light can we do this for a weekend in September in the Sierras when it could rain or snow? We might need the gortex shelled feather coats and waterproof buffalo skins.
Oh yes they are frowning on campfires this year in the Sierras, we may have to eat nuts and berries.
Jim S

10:19 a.m. on August 27, 2002 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts
yes, go ahead and show us what you can do!

I'll keep you both fondly in mind while I'm relaxing in my hammock with my "japanese lantern" (krill lamp) providing a glowing atmosphere above me and heading into my nice dry tent and sleeping on a thick thermarest and pillow.

yes, I'm sure you guys can do it and i'm sure you will think it is fun. We all have different thoughts on what is fun don't we? Mine is bushwacking barefoot thru Southeastern swamps at night with a good tequila buzz going and only the only light source is a lightstick on my head. Care to join me?

9:18 p.m. on August 27, 2002 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts
Ummm, Jimmy, ....

Barb and I are doing the buckskins thing in October, as we do each year (plus a couple of other times a year). I thought the Sept outing was to be an ultralight but comfortable trek. Since it will be the Sierra, there will be a couple of necessary weighty items. I want to eat, so the bear box will be required. I also plan to take a camera (my digicam is 4 ounces). And yes, the fire restrictions mean taking a stove. No need for a tent, though - the tarp is 6 ounces and the bivy is 5 oz. I figure that even with the weighty bear box, I can still stay under 25 pounds, maybe under 20 for the weekend. That buffalo robe is that much by itself (a couple of my friends on the buckskin weekend have genuine buffalo robes, which is how I know the weight of those things - cost a lot, too, even though they are from a commercial buffalo farm).

And, Ed, I had enough of the swamps when we lived in Mississippi. I was just transferring some old VHS tapes to DVD this week and one of them was of wandering through a swamp on the MS-LA border. Includes a couple of gators, but no moccasins (thank goodness!).

6:52 a.m. on August 29, 2002 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts
You da man!

Is there nothing you haven't done? Agreed on the moccasins! I have seen practically everything in the swamps thus far but luckily haven't come across those snarly, venom spitting devils! (at least I haven't seen them - I'll bet they have seen me!)

3:10 p.m. on August 29, 2002 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts
Re: You da man!

Quote:

Is there nothing you haven't done?

Yeah, lots. I don't skydive (no reason to jump out of a perfectly good working airplane), bungee jump (get those kind of thrills in the rare times I fall while leading climbs), scuba dive (well, ok, just a couple times), race motorcycles (at least since Barb forbade me to ever get on a motorcycle again -- but I never laid a bike down, well ok, only once), or other risky types of things. Haven't yet been to Asia, Africa, Antarctica, South America (lived in Central America, though), New Zealand, Easter Island, or North Dakota. Never owned a Ferrari (drove a couple though) or Rolls Royce, or a Yugo for that matter.

But you can do a lot in 6+ decades of living. Just don't watch TV or go to professional sporting events - they waste too much time. Besides, who really wants to watch a bunch of paunchy millionaires throw a little white ball around and try to club it with a stick of wood? Let'em go on strike!

3:35 p.m. on August 30, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: You da man!

Quote:

Quote:

Is there nothing you haven't done?

Yeah, lots. I don't skydive (no reason to jump out of a perfectly good working airplane), bungee jump (get those kind of thrills in the rare times I fall while leading climbs), scuba dive (well, ok, just a couple times), race motorcycles (at least since Barb forbade me to ever get on a motorcycle again -- but I never laid a bike down, well ok, only once), or other risky types of things. Haven't yet been to Asia, Africa, Antarctica, South America (lived in Central America, though), New Zealand, Easter Island, or North Dakota. Never owned a Ferrari (drove a couple though) or Rolls Royce, or a Yugo for that matter.

But you can do a lot in 6+ decades of living. Just don't watch TV or go to professional sporting events - they waste too much time. Besides, who really wants to watch a bunch of paunchy millionaires throw a little white ball around and try to club it with a stick of wood? Let'em go on strike!

Finally, your true colors come out. PINK!! Seduce us with valuable information and then start slamming Cheetos, rising government prices for maps, and now baseball. I knew you were a stinking commie. Only a commie hates Cheetos and baseball. I bet apple pie hasn't crossed your lips for decades. Why else would you be shunting around the world like that? Please speak into the microphone so the entire committee may hear your answers Sir.

November 15, 2019
Quick Reply