Zeus EXO 2 Feedback

8:05 p.m. on August 26, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Utter disaster. (Man, shoulda gone with the REI Halfdome 2 or something else) Not life threatening but a royal pain. Took the kid (5" 9' 11 year old) and hiked the Chain Lakes Loop in the Washington Cascades (first hike for me in many years and first time for the kid (in the spirit of the Old Grey-Bearded One, I harass the kid alot but carried most of the weight and let him play in the snow and/or lakes as much as he wanted)). Out for three days and two nights. Walm days around high-seventies with nights in the mid-forties. (Gazillions of black flies and blood suckers but that's another story.)

Condensation City!! By the time morning rolled around on both days, anything on the floor on the inside edges of the tent were wet and every inside surface of the tent was soaked. Streams of water were running off. Sopping. Its small so you can't really avoid touching the inside of the tent. Everything dried out after the first morning only because we stayed there for the day and it was warm weather. It would have been a big disappointment to have to pack everything wet (including sleeping bag) in the morning and then unpack and use it wet that night. I talked to other backpackers in the area to see if it was (were?) the conditions but all had minimal condensation. I made sure nothing was covering any of the vents.

To make a short story long, it was a great first trip but not due to the Zeus EXO. Under these conditions, it is clearly the wrong tent and the highly vaulted (faulted?) Eureka "HI-LO" ventilation system failed. BEWARE. (By the way, I own two other Eureka double-walled tents and think very highly of them.)

2:55 a.m. on August 27, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott K

Thanks for the REPORT!!!
Sorry If I steered you in the wrong direction, but I have not experienced this problem. Did you have the vesti flap open or closed? How humid was it? I would like to know so I can plan on carrying another tent in these circumstances. My EXO still has peformed flawlessly in the conditions I have experienced. Thanks for the input, and RETURN THE TENT!! If you dont like it, you have every right to do so.

12:44 p.m. on August 27, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Thanks for the REPORT!!!
Sorry If I steered you in the wrong direction, but I have not experienced this problem. Did you have the vesti flap open or closed? How humid was it? I would like to know so I can plan on carrying another tent in these circumstances. My EXO still has peformed flawlessly in the conditions I have experienced. Thanks for the input, and RETURN THE TENT!! If you dont like it, you have every right to do so.

No mis-steering here. My decision. Night sky was clouding over a little so vesti flap was closed, which, incidentially, was soaked with condensation on the inside also and dripped on our backpacks (the tent should have worked anyway.) The area didn't seem excessively humid though there was snow melt water everywhere in streams and lakes. The ground was dry. No real breeze to speak of. Two other hikers with double-walled tents reported no excessive condensation after the nights. About the 4700 ft elevation level if it matters. I did have the backpacks in the vestibule area which may have block ventilation from the little ventilation window in the front of the vestibule (but then again, isn't this one of the purposes for the vestibule?? Storage of backpacks and boots???) Return it?? You bet!!

3:01 p.m. on August 29, 2002 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

Quote:

... Took the kid (5" 9' 11 year old) ...

Jeez, Paul, 5'9" and you are, what, 6'+? Must have been crowded in the EXO.

Anyway, don't give up on the EXO. You just need to do more venting. It is really tempting to close everything up when it looks like rain or is actually raining. But you do have the vestibule on the front of the EXO and can leave the door to the main part of the tent pretty much open, leaving the netting closed to keep the flying critters out. Leave the lower part of the vestibule's door open.

I use my Bibler in very wet conditions and used to use a plastic tube tent without having condensation problems. I have camped in a full week's worth of heavy rain (in the Alps) in the tube tent without condensation. I did get some dampness, mostly when getting in and out of the tube. (in those days, you could get clear plastic tube tents, not like the yellow opaque things that are the only things available these days). The other place I got water was stringing the tube between two trees with a parachute cord - the water would run down the cord from both ends and drip from the low point in the center. But I learned a number of tricks to counter that - tie a knot to form a drip point just outside the tube, use a pole to raise the ends of the cord just outside the tube, etc. When I did things like that, the drips disappeared.

And don't kid yourself - double wall tents can get just as wet from condensation. Remember that tents tend to sag a bit when they get wet and with time and temperature changes. So the fly can end up touching the tent body (the fly will collect a lot of condensation if you don't vent it properly), and drip on you. If the tent is small, you end up pushing against the tent body and touching the fly.

Think "ventilate, ventilate, ventilate." You can leave a lot of the tent open even in a heavy rain, as long as it isn't blowing hard. If it is blowing hard, consider how you pitch the tent - a different orientation will allow ventilation without the rain blowing in most of the time.

11:15 p.m. on September 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

No problem for me

Have a Zeus EXO 1 (solo). Used it 2 weeks ago, sleeping through a rain storm, still cool and damp in the am. Floor was bone dry in the am. Only damp was a bit at the feet end of the sleeping bag -- was sleeping on a bit of an incline, so I'm guessing that my feet were up against the end of the tent most of the night. For the weight, ease of set-up, and space (pretty plush for a solo), not to mention the price, I'm a fan.

November 11, 2019
Quick Reply