Favorite Backcountry Recipes to impress Girlfriend!!

1:10 p.m. on November 19, 2002 (EST)
Kevin

a.k.a. Kevin Goulding

I am taking my girlfriend backpacking soon for a surprise birthday weekend trip, and I definitely need to impress her with a great backcountry meal! I have been looking through some backcountry cook books, but nothing has really caught my eye and I can't taste test many. I'll trust anyone's tried and true favorite backcountry meal - Thanks for any help!

p.s. maybe something that goes well with bottle of red wine?!?!

9:05 p.m. on November 19, 2002 (EST)
Bill S
REVIEW CORPS
4,537 reviewer rep
6,037 forum posts
What kind of food does she like?

I would say it is dangerous to trust someone else's favorite food. Ruth Mendenhall and her sister published a book of famous climbers' favorite recipes, called "Gorp, Glop, and Glue Stew." Which should give you a hint. When you are hungry enough, you eat anything.

How good a fisherman are you? Fresh trout, fried or baked over a campfire, with a lemon sauce and various spices is really great. But you have to be sure you will catch the fish.

If she likes spicey Mexican food, you might try what is sometimes called Pollo Ranchero, or Arroz con Pollo. It is quite simple. Cook enough diced chicken for the two of you, stir in a large can of salsa (the chunky style works best, choose your favorite level of spice - mild, medium, hot), then pour the mixture over a pile of rice. Since it is spicey, a robust red would work, although Negra Modelo, Bohemia, or other dark Mexican beer works better. Include a few tortillas as well, and have flan for dessert (you can easily make the flan with the Jello brand mix).

If she likes Chinese, then go for stir-fry chicken, beef, pork, whatever meat, or even tofu if she is vegan (you already know whether she is, don't you?). This is done in a backpack pot. Put a little oil in the hot pot, fry diced meat, then mix in drained canned stirfry veggies (you can get these already mixed together, or get the frozen food package, or select the various ones from the oriental shelf in your grocery - include baby corn, straw mushrooms, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chesnuts). Be sure to add soy sauce and ginger to taste, and maybe a bit of tobasco, if she likes it spicey hot. When this is all cooked and heated thorouglhly, add a half cup or so of corn starch mix (half cup of water to which you add a tablespoon of cornstarch) to thicken the liquid. Serve over rice. Instant rice isn't authentic, but it works well enough on camping trips. Remember the fortune cookies - you may be able to find ones with selected fortunes that help things go your way.

Then there's always spaghetti with a rich red sauce, which requires chianti, of course. Or you can make a pizza on your camp stove.

Anything you can make at home you can make while camping. It may take some ingenuity, but it is entirely possible.

11:45 a.m. on November 20, 2002 (EST)
Paul N.

Candy is Dandy But Liquor is Quicker

I'm wondering the purpose to impress.

If you are trying to impress her so she will go on future trips with you, then I suggest that you follow Bill S.'s advice but prepare as much at home at possible first. For example, the chicken can be cooked ahead of time. That way its already cooked and you are just warming it up. Try meals that use as few pots and pans as possible. She will appreciate the lack of clean-up hassle. It should not be a fine line between "meal in a bag" and using every pot in the house (backpack.) I beleive this holds true of even car-camping. One of the omplaints that I hear from my car camping relatives is that as soon as the clean-up is finished, its time to start cooking the next meal. The point is that she may be as impressed with the speed and ease of clean-up of your meal as the taste. This will also give you more time for nocturnal activities.

As a former resident of Napa Valley, I would never recommend beer on a campout unless you are car-camping and have some way to keep it cold. Regarding that "purpose" question, remember wine has more than double the alcohol content than beer.

7:29 a.m. on November 23, 2002 (EST)
me

a.k.a. scott

Red bottle of wine?.. Why dont you stay home watch a movie and camp on the couch? It looks like you're trying to get laid in the woods with your girlfriend anyway. Just watch out, it's cold right now and the females don't wanna take off their clothes outdoors. You may be interested in a book called 'how to have sex in the woods' http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2VZ47L5U0Z&isbn=0609804022. It's only ten busk richt now at Barnes and Noble. I would also be aware of belligerent rednecks hearing the sound of you two having sex and wanna get in on the action. Carry some mase, you'll be fine.

7:47 p.m. on November 23, 2002 (EST)
Jim S
67 reviewer rep
757 forum posts

white wine
Tiger prawns roasted over coals
Some nice Linguini with clam sauce over them
some orange and red bell peppers also raosted
a whole roasted garlic in melted butter for dipping

Maybe some homemade brownies for desert - he he he (;->)
Jim (:->)

11:15 p.m. on December 2, 2002 (EST)
Waldo

If its cold enough to bring in cheese, also bring in tortillas, some peppers, and pre-cooked chicken. Make Chicken quesadillas. For liquor is quicker routine, mix cinnamon schnapps in to hydrate apple sauce.

June 3, 2020
Quick Reply