LED headlamp

5:38 p.m. on December 2, 2002 (EST)
Joe70

Looking for a light weight LED headlamp. any suggestions?

7:58 p.m. on December 2, 2002 (EST)
Mike Davis

a.k.a. Mike D, Mike D.

I've tried the Black Diamond Ion. Very small and decently bright. It takes a 6V battery which is the only drawback. Its so small that you can carry it in your pocket and not know it's there. I also have an LED bulb that I use in my Petzl Zoom that I got from Karst Sports. Beware that I haven't yet seen an LED bulb that provides enough light for hiking at night. For that you need a Halogen bulb. But I think they make a great backup lamp.

10:59 p.m. on December 2, 2002 (EST)
Waldo

I have a BD Moonbeam. Best thing I ever bought. All my buddies saw it in action and have it on theie wish list now for Santa. I have used it at night to cross country ski across the Boundary Waters,hike in the Wind River Range, and get dog food from the pitch black shed. Batteries seem to last forever. Its also soft enough light to not blind everyone else in the group.

6:43 a.m. on December 3, 2002 (EST)
Ridgerunner

I like my Petzl Tika. It is light and affords enough light with new batteries to hike at night. For hanging around camp, the batteries also seems to last forever. I like the fact that I don't have a battery pack in the back of my head.

7:11 a.m. on December 3, 2002 (EST)
Keith

I currently use a Princeton Tec Solo (which is great), but would encourage you to consider the Black Diamond Gemini. It offers both LED and standard (halogen) lighting with the touch of a switch - the best of both worlds.

9:45 a.m. on December 3, 2002 (EST)
DavO

I started with a Tikka. It has three LEDs and is excellent for cooking, reading, etc. out to a range about as far as your feet. It is quite bright for a few hours and then settles down to a soft but usable blue tinged light. The soft light makes it ideal in a tent. There is no harsh glare. In addition for reading there are no concentric circles of light on the page. The batteries fit on the LED housing. There is a simple single strap that goes around your head. The strap is comfortable and there is no battery pack in back to lean against. The only problem I had with the Tikka is my nose. The angle of the light is fixed and lights up the tip of my nose. I switch to a Black Diamond Moonlight. Everything I have said about using the Tikka applies to the moonlight, except my luminescent nose is not a problem.

The angle of the light bar on the Black Diamond Moonlight is adjustable. This helps if ,like me, you have a protruding proboscis. The batteries fit on the back of the head band and the headband has a strap that goes over the top of your head. This makes the Moonlight more firmly attached to your head once it is on. On the other hand it makes getting the light on in the dark more involved. The battery pack at the back of the head makes a lump if you are reading at night. The four LEDs each appear to have the same light output as the Tikka LEDs. I suppose there is more light produced but the difference is not noticeable.

In general, if I had a cute button nose, I would prefer the Tikka. It is simple, comfortable, and works for my limited needs.

4:18 p.m. on December 3, 2002 (EST)
Brian in SLC
0 reviewer rep
409 forum posts
Ion & Moonlight...

Quote:

Have an Ion. Lightweight and small to be sure. Not a huge amount of light though and batteries are spendy.

Moonlight has plenty of light for hiking and lasts long long time. Nice.

Brian in SLC

12:47 a.m. on December 4, 2002 (EST)
Teledog

Quote:

Word on the street is that you can put a photo Lithium Ion battery into the Ion for about Dub the cost and the LIon battery won't be affected by the cold and has multiple times the life of the regular battery.
If you are only after lightweight then Ion is your product, and it provides a perfect amount of, "usable light."

3:54 p.m. on December 4, 2002 (EST)
Steve Ray

Quote:

After trying many headlamps, I've settled on the Princeton Tec Aurora. It's lightweight, less expensive than most other led headlamps, and plenty bright for night hiking on rough trails in the pitch dark. In addition it has 5 settings: bright, medium, dim, slow flashing, and rapid flashing. The dim setting is plenty of light to hike/snowshoe/ski and is rated to give over 160 hours burn time at that setting. I highly recommend it.

May 29, 2020
Quick Reply