sierra designs hyperlite AST

7:07 p.m. on June 10, 2003 (EDT)

I would be very interested in hearing about people's experience with the Sierra designs hyperlite AST. I am looking to buy a light weight (5 lbs or less) ultralight 2-person tent. Based on specifications alone the AST seems to have it all. However I would like some real world feedback from those who have used and purchased the tent.

It has come down to AST and the North Face Slick Rock (lighter weight but "termed" in Backpacker gear review a "fair weather tent".

Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

John

11:59 p.m. on June 10, 2003 (EDT)

a.k.a. WLD257

I have and have used twice, the Sierra Designs Hyperlite AST

I weighed it and it came up to 5lbs. After dropping the sacks for the poles and tent and a few odds and useless ends. I have it down to 41/2 lbs. It has over 52 sq feet of floor space. (Which is important when using it as a two person tent) And it is strong. So far I would recommend it. After researching various tents. This freestanding odd shaped dome tent became my first choice. If I find any faults I will let you know. I will be taking it with me for over 30 days on the John Muir Trail this summer

2:46 p.m. on June 11, 2003 (EDT)

I have both ! And I like both. The SD has more space 43 sq ft of floor, and has the full fly. When there is a hint of nasty weather, or it is cooler we take the SD.

We use the SlickRock for fairer weather. Nothing wrong with either, but based on floor and fly, the SD has an edge.

blade

Quote:

I would be very interested in hearing about people's experience with the Sierra designs hyperlite AST. I am looking to buy a light weight (5 lbs or less) ultralight 2-person tent. Based on specifications alone the AST seems to have it all. However I would like some real world feedback from those who have used and purchased the tent.

It has come down to AST and the North Face Slick Rock (lighter weight but "termed" in Backpacker gear review a "fair weather tent".

Thanks

John

10:07 a.m. on June 12, 2003 (EDT)
Some pictures....

They aren't the best, but here are some pics of the SD Hyperlight AST when I did a first set up in the living room.

Hope they help.

http://community.webshots.com/album/72542018pMjuUl

blade

10:19 a.m. on June 12, 2003 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts
reminds me of the time I bought my first "good" tent....

I came home one friday with a Eureka Timberline 4 tent. I immediately set it up in the living room and made the wife sleep in it with me that night!

Nice looking tent. I like the way you stow your shoes under it.

6:27 a.m. on June 13, 2003 (EDT)
Re: reminds me of the time I bought my first

Haha! It's an absolute tradition now that we set up every new tent in the living room. We've done the same with our SD Omega CD, Meteor Light, Mountain Hardwear PCT1, MSR Zoid 1.5, and NorthFace SlickRock. Just had to do it with the Hyperlight too. The only one we slept in in the house was the first one, the Omega CD.

Nothing quite like the smell of a new tent! Kind of like that new car smell....

The shoes were there by accident!

blade

Quote:

I came home one friday with a Eureka Timberline 4 tent. I immediately set it up in the living room and made the wife sleep in it with me that night!

Nice looking tent. I like the way you stow your shoes under it.

1:06 p.m. on June 13, 2003 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,036 forum posts
"Staking" tents in the living room

With all those tents (almost as many as I have), you need to do what the stores do - make some velcro "stakes" that will stick to the carpet. When I get back from a trip, I set the tent up in the garage to air out and dry, suspended so the floor will dry as well. I can't use the velcro trick on the concrete, of course, but tiedowns more like the "log stake."

Question about your chair - we have a couple of the "chairs" like you have the one inflatable in that we got years ago. But when I went to look for one to give as a present, the only ones I could find were way more expensive than what we paid, getting up close to the price of a Thermarest. We got ours for about $10 (when Thermarests were at the $35 level for a full length standard). Any ideas on where to find the shells at a reasonable price?

8:30 a.m. on June 16, 2003 (EDT)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

Interesting looking tent. It seems a little odd to me though that the ground pads have to go in at an angle and offset from each other. My wife and I always zip our bags together to sleep but that wouldn't work in that type of arrangement. Thanks for the pics.....I'm starting to look for new tents as well.

Quote:

Thanks

John

12:04 p.m. on September 9, 2003 (EDT)

The current edition of Backpacker Magazine gave the Hyperlite a perfect "5" rating. With limited use of mine so far, I do concur. The weight-to-floorspace ratio can't be beat in a freestanding tent. Two six-footers can sleep with elbow room. Sweeeeet !!

Eric

February 20, 2020
Quick Reply