TNF Tadpole 23 Tent

2:00 p.m. on April 9, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Is there anybody out there who actually owns a NORTH FACE TADPOLE 23 tent and has used it in varying conditions? This tent is very difficult to find good reviews for. I am considering purchasing one, but I would really like to have someone with some experience in this tent give me the unvarnished truth on how it performs in varying conditions including high humidity and rain. My biggest pet peeve is waking up wet and I would really like to find a backpackable tent with the features the Tadpole claims for a reasonable price...a free standing 2 person tent with full coverage fly, fly only pitch, and GOOD ventilation at under 5 pounds for under about $175 online. Thanks and see you out there! Scot

2:43 p.m. on April 13, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Francisco
Love it

I have owned two of them,(first one stolen) and plan on buying another one when mine needs replacement.

Ventilation is dependent on how well the fly is staked out. I have used it all 4 seasons in the North East USA. It has been in really high winds also, I do not think you can buy a stronger tent for the weight.
Best compliment I've received-
"Boy, that tent looks like it's been through the war!"

I am very hard on my gear.

3:09 p.m. on April 13, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scot Shermer
Re: Love it

Bob: Thanks for the information, this is just the kind of thing that I have been looking for. When you say "Ventilation is dependent on how well the fly is staked out...", can you describe what would be good and bad?

I am assuming that you need to stake it out far enough away from the inner walls that you get better airflow and keep the entire inner wall covered...also, is there a top vent? It isn't very apparent in the pictures that I have seen of it (and the setup in a local store didn't include the fly).

Scot

3:03 p.m. on April 20, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

great

I've used it on cycling trips (short and long) and so it's been used in all kinds of weather, including 24 hours of heavy rain: Very well ventilated, never had humidity problems or water seeping in, great when its very hot.
And best of all, it's very light and easy to carry.

Jim

7:33 a.m. on April 21, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scot Shermer
Re: great

Jim:

Thanks for the information. I actually found a couple of reviews on some obscure website (the URL escapes me) but nothing negative other than one guy who is 6'3" and said it is "a little cramped". I think I have settled on this tent as the one that I want to buy, and we just found out last night that we have a slot at Philmont Double-H for 2005 so I really need to get it now.

See you out there! Scot

Quote:

I've used it on cycling trips (short and long) and so it's been used in all kinds of weather, including 24 hours of heavy rain: Very well ventilated, never had humidity problems or water seeping in, great when its very hot.
And best of all, it's very light and easy to carry.

Jim

December 7, 2019
Quick Reply