custom made hiking boots

7:22 p.m. on November 19, 2005 (EST)

a.k.a. andrew, andrew f

this collects information i gathered recently while evaluating how to replace a pair of traditional Raichle rough-out, Norwegian welt leather hiking boots. I have reasonably normal feet. I use a pair of custom orthotic inserts, but beyond those don't have the need or the dollars for custom boots. I have hiked primarily in Merrell and Raichle boots, and am in the process of breaking in a pair of Limmer Standards. Heavy duty boot, but great fit already. For those who want it hand-made:

Esatto.biz - custom boot, relatively high ankle. Have read some positive reviews.

randymerrell.com - custom boot, he helped found the commercial merrell boots, now does custom. hard to tell, but it looks like he still uses the Littleway welt that Merrell once used on its stock Wilderness boot (not any more), though he will apparently build the boot with other designs.

limmerboot.com - well-known and well-made New Hampshire custom boots, also sell production boots.

hikingbootshandcrafted.com - custom bootmaker in British Columbia. they appear to be a bellows-tongue leather boot. a lot of reviewers appear to swear by them.

noonanshoe.com - Rhode Island custom bootmaker. Hiking boots look something like Merrells.

8:26 a.m. on November 26, 2005 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I can tell you that Charlie Van Gorkum's boots, this is "hikingbootshand....." are absolutely first class in every respect. We bought my wife a pair in 1993 and they are a work of art.

I ws up at Charlie's shop in Telkwa, B.C. last July when my hunting/hiking partner and I were enroute to the Yukon and ordered two pair of his high model from him. His boots are not cheap, but, they last and they work as boots should, nobody I know of makes better boots. He is also one of the nicest gentlemen you could ever hope to meet and utterly honest, for serious hiking boots, I recommend him without reservation.

April 9, 2020
Quick Reply