Just saying howdy

2:15 a.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
Donald H Ridenour @Hugh 2
99 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

New on Trailspace, have been looking around at some of the topics and must say wish I'd found this three years ago. I've spent pretty much my whole life in the outdoors and have always done it the hard way, through the school of hard nocks, when it comes to packing/hiking. I don't use hiking trails I prefer going where no one else goes and used to use cheep tent, bag, foam pad, pack, pans, small propane stove, and water on a pack frame from the 70's. Three years ago at 41 years old I decided 70-80# pack load on an old frame pack was beginning to out way my testosterone level. At that point I started to try being geared wiser. I started with tent and sleeping pad then water purifier and jet boil with dry food. Finally this year an internal frame pack wow what difference fully loaded now with more than is needed I come in at 40ish# and the weight packs close to my body without shifting and trying to toss me off ridges in rough terrain. I guess you could say I'm a bit of a stubborn slow learner. Reading the reviews here would have been much easier than cyphering through Amazon and sporting good stores. 44 years old in the woods, pre school in packing with these reviews and forum topics I just may get there yet. Thanks Hugh from Oregon  

7:24 a.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
TheRambler
2,795 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

Welcome to TS Hugh! glad to hear you've reduced your pack weight, there is lots to learn here from each other.

8:35 a.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
trouthunter
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Welcome Hugh!

Like TheRambler says we can all learn from one another, including stuff we learn the hard way.

8:37 a.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
LoneStranger
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
10,075 reviewer rep
1,626 forum posts

Glad you thought it was worth sticking around long enough to say howdy.  Of course now that we know you are here we're going to want to read your reviews on some of this lighter gear you've been buying :)

Welcome!

9:27 a.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
giftogab
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

WELCOME! Glad to see ya here!

11:56 a.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
FromSagetoSnow
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,361 reviewer rep
1,704 forum posts

Welcome Donald.  I can't wait to hear the story about your profile pic---Like it!

12:15 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
Horn Rimmed Hiker
BRAND REP
2,186 reviewer rep
493 forum posts

While hammock-hanging has pulled me away from being a true ultralighter, I'm one of the many here who tries to keep things on the lighter side whenever possible and practical.

Welcome aboard, ask as many questions as you need, and the folks here will be happy to help!

12:19 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
denis daly
273 reviewer rep
1,962 forum posts

welcome..Glad you stuck around..

3:27 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

@Eric--you can UL with a hammock. There are 7oz units out there.

@Donald--welcome! I started backpacking with a guy who told me to keep my pack at under 50lbs. Later I learned he was more of a camper than a hiker (6 mile days, long hours in camp).

These days I'm running a full pack at under 25lbs. Twelve of that is food, waters, & fuel.

3:49 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
Horn Rimmed Hiker
BRAND REP
2,186 reviewer rep
493 forum posts

@ Goose - "4-Season"  base weight here is 13.5 lbs, but that was before I added a winter top cover that adds almost another half pound. Still under the UL 15, but just barely!

4:09 p.m. on April 7, 2014 (EDT)
pillowthread
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

Welcome!...Listen to Tipi enough and he'll have you thinking your 80# load was perfect...

1:47 a.m. on April 8, 2014 (EDT)
99 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks all for the replies it is always nice to get a welcome, appreciate it!

@ Mike Gartman I can definitely define the what not to do, I'm pretty good at them for sure.

@ LoneStranger Thank you sir I have a couple reviews up, hope their not to bad.

@ Jeff That is a trail cam photo in one of my forgotten by man holes. Three years been trying to set one of them boys up and all three of us still alive and well, kind of the way I like it, unless the cat got one of them this winter haven't found them yet this year. Big difference between me and that cat is he's a killer and eats well I'm a hunter and buy most of my food. Thanks for the interest.

@ Goose 6 miles in country quads can't get thru is about wright wear I put myself few folks walk that far without either marked trails or motorized wheels. That's about where I drop my camp and disappear with my day pack and bow.

@ Pillowthread Tipi can have it I'm not that manly any more I'm kind of liking my softer side.

Thanks again folks: Hugh

7:34 a.m. on April 8, 2014 (EDT)
Alicia MacLeay @Alicia
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,371 reviewer rep
4,536 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Hugh!

We're glad to have you join in the community and share your reviews.

I've also been curious about that profile pic of yours...

11:46 a.m. on April 8, 2014 (EDT)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

Howdy back,Donald! 

12:16 p.m. on April 8, 2014 (EDT)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

Alicia said:

I've also been curious about that profile pic of yours...

It's called an "Elk butt," Alicia.

:P

12:20 a.m. on April 9, 2014 (EDT)
99 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Yep! winner, winner chicken dinner. And their tastier than goose butt!

10:29 p.m. on April 9, 2014 (EDT)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

Oh, I don't know about that...depends on how it's prepared. :P

6:58 a.m. on April 10, 2014 (EDT)
Jake W
5,894 reviewer rep
1,084 forum posts

I think you may be a little biased on that one Goose!

May 26, 2020
Quick Reply