mountaineering boots for Nepal mountain hike?

3:53 p.m. on October 22, 2014 (EDT)
Alexander @Picard
0 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

Is it possible to wear Scarpa Mont Blac GTX or La sportiva Nepal GTX suitable for long hike in Nepal?

Nepal mountain tends to be cold at night. my summer boots La Sportiva Pamir leather boots can only handle warm weather. 

8:20 p.m. on October 24, 2014 (EDT)
iClimb
136 reviewer rep
623 forum posts

Most climbers wear mountaineering boots with overboots that add even more insulation. I would wear something that has a removable liner, and then you can make a decision about the outer boot being leather or plastic. Be aware that in very cold temps, the water is all frozen, so your boots won't get wet. However your feet will produce sweat, and that moisture could seep into your boots and freeze. Consider liner socks that block this process and you should be fine with leather outers, which is more comfortable for trekking.

7:45 a.m. on October 25, 2014 (EDT)
Alexander @Picard
0 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

thank you for your comment. I won't be climbing to high altitudes. I will climb up to 6000m.

7:50 a.m. on October 25, 2014 (EDT)
TJ1984
1,994 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

I've not been to Nepal, but have several good friends who have, and have asked them what they wore.

If you arent actually climbing and are just doing the hiking circuits, which is what they have done... they just wore a pair of proper (heavy 3 season) or 4 season leather hiking boot with warm socks.... neither has lost any toes.

Unless you really need it, a B3 rated boot for what would mostly be hiking wont be the most comfortable option.

10:22 a.m. on October 27, 2014 (EDT)
FromSagetoSnow
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,361 reviewer rep
1,704 forum posts

I'll be subtle; a mountaineering boot used as a hiker will make you want to kill yourself. 

If you are hiking, a warm, light hiker is your boot.  Mountaineering boots are stiff soled for crampons which make them poor hikers.  I like my Mammut Mamook mountaineering boots but they make my feet miserable if there is a long approach so I wore Goretex trail runners to Camp Muir last summer.  I was much happier for it. 

12:34 p.m. on October 27, 2014 (EDT)
giftogab
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

I went to 17,300 feet in Keen Oregon PCTs. This was trekking and not climbing but they were great. I was cold the morning leaving base camp though. Other than that my feet were never cold despite a lot of snow. This was April of the year in the Khumbu.

8:24 p.m. on October 29, 2014 (EDT)
iClimb
136 reviewer rep
623 forum posts

Hahaha jeff that's true. I would suggest a good leather insulated hiker either with or without a liner. I still think vapor barrier socks, or the old school method of plastic bags over the feet are needed. Otherwise sweat seeps into the leather and freezes, making your feet colder. I've seen a buddy have this happen and he got frost bite due to wearing boots that essentially became ice blocks on his feet after the sweat froze over night.

6:13 a.m. on October 30, 2014 (EDT)
Alexander @Picard
0 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

I did research on Lowa Westhorn GTX boots. It has enough flex as a hiking boots.

May 24, 2020
Quick Reply