How do you guys shave in the winter?

10:24 p.m. on December 15, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

How do you guys shave in the winter? I am referring to shaving outdoors while the temperature is well below zero. I don't want to use electric razor.

10:56 p.m. on December 15, 2014 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,963 forum posts

Pretty much the same way I would shave in the summer. Heat some water or melted snow and warm up the face with a hankerchief or small towel. Then use some shave cream or gel and a blade.

12:16 a.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,379 forum posts

I am a dry shave guy. I don't use shave creams or gels. Just a 2-5 blade razor and my face. Just like shaing any other season. Helps to be in the tent where its slightly warmer. Been dry shaving since I was in the Navy 38 years ago.

1:40 a.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

Don't. There is a reason I am known as OGBO (Old Grey Bearded One).

2:37 a.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
40 reviewer rep
560 forum posts

Not sure a battery operated shaver can be counted on much below 10F.

Let it grow.  Built in base layer.

4:08 a.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I typically dont let my beard get too terribly long, a week or two growth at a time at most. That being said, i usually shave the day of a trip and call it good for its duration. If I am going to be out there for more than say 3 weeks I would do one of the following.

Dry shave

Heat up some water and use a few drops of dr bronners soap to lather up with. I carry a small dropper bottle of the soap anyway for hand washing etc anyway. The times when i do decide to shave in the field I just use my knife and do not carry a separate razor. Just use a kabar becker necker 3in fixed blade knife. A few quick passes on a small piece of diamond stone and its sharp enough to shave with.

4:53 a.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,994 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

I dont :)

11:01 a.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,963 forum posts

In a practical sense, shaving can be avoided in the field. I have gone 12 years between shaves, but now have a Buffalo Bill arrangement after winning some look alike contests. With a heavy beard, dry shaving leaves quite a mess.

11:54 a.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

I never have, just trimmed it close with the scissors on my SAK a couple times.

12:07 p.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,710 reviewer rep
1,470 forum posts

Why would you want to shave in winter?

madbearder.jpg

I shave when I get home from a trip the rest of the year but from Thanksgiving to spring thaw I prefer some face protection :)

12:43 p.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,261 forum posts

Alexander,

Like most others I don't shave on the trail but if you are looking for a light weight alternative to traditional soaps, creams and gels, check out Somersets shaving oil. I actually use it at home in lieu of the aforementioned products.

To use, you wet your face, then put two or three drops of the oil on your hands, rub onto your whiskers, wait about a minute for it to soak in, then shave normally. It works by softening the hairs. I was dubious at first but after trying I now prefer it. You get 90 shaves out of one 15ml bottle so you could spend a long time on the trail with just one bottle (or dispense into even smaller containers I guess).

http://www.somersetsusa.com/

3:35 p.m. on December 22, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,478 forum posts

I don't usually shave in the backcountry, but if I did I'd pass an anti-friction stick over my face--I like using the "Band-Aid Active Friction Block" stick because of it's diminutive size--and follow it with a classic Yellow Bic.

9:06 a.m. on December 24, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

Patman said:

Alexander,

Like most others I don't shave on the trail but if you are looking for a light weight alternative to traditional soaps, creams and gels, check out Somersets shaving oil. I actually use it at home in lieu of the aforementioned products.

To use, you wet your face, then put two or three drops of the oil on your hands, rub onto your whiskers, wait about a minute for it to soak in, then shave normally. It works by softening the hairs. I was dubious at first but after trying I now prefer it. You get 90 shaves out of one 15ml bottle so you could spend a long time on the trail with just one bottle (or dispense into even smaller containers I guess).

http://www.somersetsusa.com/

can this oil be clean up with soap & water?

8:39 a.m. on December 25, 2014 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,379 forum posts

I decided about a month ago not to shave this winter so that by the time I return to Wyoming next spring I will have a nice full beard. I am still going through the stages of it curling back on itself and being itchy about once a week. By January it will be getting thick.

IMG_5586---My-beard-Dec-25-2014.png

And I like the grey! I will be 59 January 21st.

10:26 a.m. on December 25, 2014 (EST)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Looking good Gary!

Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow. (Instead of let it snow.)

1:36 p.m. on January 3, 2015 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
203 forum posts

I shave in the winter the same way I shave the rest of the year, a Japanese Feather in an Edwin Jagger DE89L and a dab of Mango Cream shaving cream...alway when I get back to my vehicle, never in the wilderness. After you do that a few times in the cold, a warm humid bathroom after a shower seems to be effortless, just too easy...

7:36 a.m. on January 7, 2015 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

The same way i do in summers...

:)

however, while camping..... shave... what shave????

November 13, 2019
Quick Reply