Has anyone drank the 5 hr energy little beverage ?

7:59 p.m. on March 9, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

Has anyone drank the 5 hr energy little beverage ? This is the red small bottle that claims to boost your energy level.

8:03 p.m. on March 9, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

yep - I find it pretty off-putting. very speedy/jittery feeling. (this is coming from a pretty heavy coffee drinker). 

can't think of anything i'd rather drink less while backpacking or hiking.

everyone is different though...it won't kill you.

8:32 p.m. on March 9, 2015 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

I have once and concur - nasty taste and straight to feeling like I had too much coffee. 

On coffee, I've read that if you're drinking more than 2 cups of coffee a day it's use (as a tool) for keeping you alert is greatly diminished.  I try to limit myself to 2-3 cups and none after 2PM (or it affects my sleep).

Funny, quite a few of the guys I work with say that they could drink a cup of coffee right before bed and sleep like a baby.  I tell them that means they're drinking too much! :)

8:13 a.m. on March 10, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

Is this stuff caffeine? 

9:55 a.m. on March 10, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

I bring them with me on hikes where I know that there is going to be a marginal amount of elevation gain in a day.

When I hike a section of the Appalachian Trail called the Roan Highlands, there are two consecutive mountains called Little Hump Mountain and Hump Mountain. I camp on Little Hump Mountain, so as soon as I start hiking the next morning I have a big mountain to climb. Five Hour Energy provides me with an extra burst of energy to help push me up the mountain. Can I do it without it, absolutely - but I definitely find the extra burst of energy to be beneficial.

It is helpful if you don't own a backcountry coffee press or if you just don't have time to brew coffee. It isn't for everyone, but it works for me without any side effects as long as I consume it at an appropriate time. I have trouble sleeping, so I personally would not take it after 2 PM.

@Alexander, yes, it is caffeine.

10:01 a.m. on March 10, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,757 reviewer rep
1,647 forum posts

Its just caffeine, same as in coffee.  I didn't care for the flavor, I prefer coffee.

I also prefer mocha flavor energy goo with caffeine while I am pushing hard on a climb.  Drinking caffeine when you aren't going to use up the extra stimulation can make you feel terrible. 

10:08 a.m. on March 10, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,979 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Its just caffeine, same as in coffee.  I didn't care for the flavor, I prefer coffee.

I also prefer mocha flavor energy goo with caffeine while I am pushing hard on a climb.  Drinking caffeine when you aren't going to use up the extra stimulation can make you feel terrible. 

I can second this comment. I did not find it that palatable. I too prefer the coffee flavoured energy goo. Usually 2-3 will get me through a long day and they taste quite a bit better.

3:45 p.m. on March 10, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

I think the active ingredient is maltodextrin. It makes me really jumpy. It would be just the thing to have in an emergency trying to get a victim to safety.

10:30 a.m. on March 11, 2015 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
424 forum posts

I really prefer normal food (I am drinking my first of three cups of coffee as  I type this).  I have been in quite a few emergencies involving victim safety and I never felt the need for a stimulant.

That stuff is pure marketing hype.  Stay away from drugs

8:05 p.m. on March 11, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

Caffeine is your drug of choice for staying awake.

12:08 a.m. on April 16, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

The key ingredients are listed here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/heres-whats-actually-inside-of-a-5-hour-energy#.ajvPPgJD7

I think the reason it makes most jittery etc is due to the fact that most people drink it in like 1 gulp, which is equivalent to chugging an expresso. 

I am not recommending them but they honestly arent really harmful in moderation as many of the ingredients such as the 5000+% of B vitamins are water soluble meaning you just pee them out. Here is another more science oriented article on the drink: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/5-hour-energy/

8:15 p.m. on April 16, 2015 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

joe 3 said:

Funny, quite a few of the guys I work with say that they could drink a cup of coffee right before bed and sleep like a baby.  I tell them that means they're drinking too much! :)

I can do that, and I rarely drink coffee. I do drink a couple of caffeinated sodas a day, though each of those has only about 20% the caffeine as a brewed cup of coffee.

I definitely don't make coffee on the trail, if I'm looking for an energy boost I carry some caffeine tablets, cut in half, I can pop a half and get a little extra juice that way.

10:43 a.m. on April 25, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
108 forum posts

Ditto on drinking coffee before bed and being able to go to sleep.

It's the warm drink that helps you to sleep, the caffeine helps wake you up in the morning if you drink it right before bed. This is due, I suspect, because your body slows down during sleep hence processes the caffeine more slowly. 

Now if you drink a pot of coffee before bed, well... you might find youself 10 miles up trail the next morning if you're prone to sleep walking.

Or insomnia an hour after going to sleep.

As far as the energy drink, I've stayed away from them since they came out. They're garbage drinks. If you're into fitness you know there are things you stay away from and the supposed "energy" drinks are one of them.

Carb up the night before and that morning before an expected hike. Stay away from sugars. 

Drink a bulk high calorie shake, (no sugar additives) and take desiccated liver. (Stay away from friends you want to remain friends the first few times you take the liver, some get aggressive when taking it. I did) The shake can be brought on trail and mixed with water. Get flavored as they can be off tasting, depending on ingredients and brand, type etc.

Just check ingredients, no sugar or caffeine additives is what you want. Those type filler ingredients will burn you out, - quick sugar high, quick to burn off makes for over tired hiking.

Hope this helps,

- chase -

11:42 p.m. on April 27, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

I would much prefer chewing on coca leaves. Seriously, it gives me much less problems than caffeine or maltodextrin, it is just not legal but should be.

May 26, 2019
Quick Reply