Good rope/Tarp to use for a ridgeline shelter?

12:51 p.m. on March 29, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I am a knob and was wondering what is good to use as rope for a ridgeline.  Is paracord ok? If so, what thickness?

Also, what are good knots to use when securing? Siberian hitch on one end, what to use on the other?  Thanks!

12:52 p.m. on March 29, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

5:27 p.m. on March 29, 2015 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
383 forum posts

What are you using the rope with?

5:22 a.m. on March 30, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,979 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

550 Paracord is usually fine for a lot of stuff, but for rigging guy lines, ridgelines I prefer Dyneema (thats just the brand and is available under several other names).

8:26 a.m. on March 30, 2015 (EDT)
254 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

There is this stuff called Lash-It or Zing-it (depending on color) that is great for ridgelines. (It is made from Dyneema.)  1.75mm is a common size, but despite the small size, much stronger than paracord.  Another thing about paracord is that it is made to stretch (when the parachute opens, to take some of the shock.)

11:43 a.m. on March 30, 2015 (EDT)
733 reviewer rep
1,398 forum posts

As the above posters mentioned, Dyneema is a good one as it doesn't stretch as any paracord or nylon will do. Polyester line is also good as it has low stretch characteristics and performs well with friction knots.

As far as an easy way to tighten, using a prusik knot with a carabiner that is clipped to a bight near one end of the line where it is secured, will allow you to easily tension the line. A simple overhand knot can make the bight, and needn't be anything as complex as a butterfly knot.

5:35 p.m. on March 31, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

What's good for guylines?

1:03 a.m. on April 1, 2015 (EDT)
733 reviewer rep
1,398 forum posts

I use light poly cordage, though paracord is acceptable, and in some cases the stretch of the paracord can help ease the wear on the tent or tarp.

11:04 a.m. on April 1, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,630 forum posts

Paracord is really good and easy to get in bright colors so you don't trip on it at night.  Baling twine would work fine, anything light and strong.

11:42 a.m. on April 1, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,525 reviewer rep
2,150 forum posts

i use sterling glocord in a small diameter, 2.75mm.  300 pound test, hasn't come apart yet.  i like the reflecting threads woven in, less likely to trip over your guy lines at night.

dyneema/spectra is very strong and durable.  woven into utility cord, it will add somewhat to its strength (instead of 300 test, the same cord might be 450 pounds).  necessary? for the price of most bluewater or sterling cord, it doesn't make much of a difference price-wise.  or function-wise either.

12:16 p.m. on April 1, 2015 (EDT)
733 reviewer rep
1,398 forum posts

Poly is available in colors like fuchsia, My preferred is a Kelty brand that is gold in color and has reflecting strand woven into it. Unlike nylon paracord, it is low stretch. As we discussing this, do you know about taut line hitches? Also, if you are securing a tarp, especially in breezy conditions, using small rounded stones with the line tied around them in the tarp corners, relieves stress on grommets.

4:30 a.m. on April 3, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,750 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

+1 for kelty trip tease, use it on all my tarp lines. Makes everything easier in the dark. Finding camp, and not tripping over the lines (other people mainly) are the big ones for me.

11:55 a.m. on April 3, 2015 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
383 forum posts

I think I have used, at one time or another, everything from 11mm climbing rope to mason's twine.  The 11mm was long enough..

3:53 p.m. on April 6, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,048 reviewer rep
2,244 forum posts

hey jmckee, very late reply here

for your knot question: I don't do ridge lines very often with my tarps (prefer to use poles for an A frame pitch) but when I do, I use a bowline on one end and a truckers hitch on the other. I'm not a knot guy: I know about four knots but those two work pretty well for me in the stated application.

10:05 p.m. on April 7, 2015 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
350 forum posts
February 16, 2019
Quick Reply