advice on solar charged power bank

4:34 p.m. on April 15, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi,

This summer I am going on to hike in Albania. It is not my first hike, so I have got all the gear I need. Last year I went to Canada and hiked the North Coast Trail, a 6-day hike on Vancouver Island. I used my gopro to shoot some footage but it got out of juice pretty quick. I want to buy a solar charged power bank but I have no idea which ones are affordable and of good quality. I heared that a lot of them don't charge very good in the sun. Anybody with experience who could give me some advide?

Thanks a lot!

Steven

6:16 p.m. on April 15, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,747 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

Steven...I don't care much for solar chargers when hiking...it can be difficult to keep it pointing towards the sun on the move...and overcast and tree-cover make solar power fairly unreliable where I live and play. For hiking I use the Goal Zero Guide 10 charger...it converts AA battery power which I use in my headlamp and converts it into a USB charger for my phone (which has my GPS/radio/etc.). On long trips I either mail myself charged batteries or simply buy new ones at a convenient store/gas station along the way. The Guide 10 charger works perfect with my phone...I can get more than a complete charge on 4AA batteries (the capacity of the Guide 10 charger)...but some have complained about compatibility (not surprising given all the difference in phones)...and the Guide 10 is not the only (or cheapest) way to go...a simple USB might be your best solution for this trip?

8:23 p.m. on April 16, 2015 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
361 forum posts

Unless you are going on a long thru hike and/or have a multitude of devices you want to keep charged, you will be better off to just get either extra batteries for the device or a USB power bank. Charge them up before you leave and you will have power that is more reliable, lighter weight and cheaper than a solar panel kit.

11:54 a.m. on April 17, 2015 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,340 forum posts

I use one of these to charge my cell phone and batteries when on bicycle tours, backpacking trips and around home. 

http://www.asseenontv.com/solar-juice-solar-powered-charger/detail.php?p=458339 

IMG_5850.jpg

The solar panel is 1 1/2 x 4 inches in area and soaks up both ultraviolet (sun) light and/or artificial light. The multi-connector connects to many things. I can hook it to my spare camera battery and leave it in the sun in the top of my handle bar bag when bike touring, or lay it in the sun by my tent. It has a small light that tells when the panel is getting enough light and is soaking it up. It collects power even when I don't have it connected to a battery or my phone.

I bought mine at Staples or Radio Shack, I don't remember which. It cost about $15.00

1:07 p.m. on April 17, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi Steven, 

I last year, I bought a BeeSun, 5000 mAh solar charged power bank. You can charge your phone about 2 to 3 times with it and it connects to your computer too. The nice thing is that it comes with a clip, so you can hang it on your bag while you are hiking. It charges quite good, I did a two week during hike in Portugal last summer and I was able to charge my phone every day with it. Besides that, it's light, and both shock and water proof. I think I can say that I am quite happy with it. It was a little more expensive though, I payed 35 euros at bee-sun.com.

good luck finding one! 

11:35 p.m. on April 18, 2015 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,340 forum posts

That's http://bee-sun.com/  

Thank's Steven for asking this question of solar power, I am always looking for more ways to power stuff on long trips away from stationary power sources. I bicycle tour and I am often in direct sunlight for hours on end. 

The solar charger I mentioned above works well too, but another kind is worth looking into.

Bee-Sun-solar.jpg

May 20, 2019
Quick Reply